Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #51
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
I think it stresses them everytime time you catch them no matter the season. I will say where livescope comes into play the most is when those fish are suspended in open water, usually deep, during winter in cold water. Hauling them in from deep water stresses them more than when they are shallow. Not that catching them shallow while spawning doesn't stress them too. The point is the more we catch these fish the more likely they are to die.
And if you read my previous post, I said I'm not against it. But it will lead to a reduction in numbers.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Everybody said the same thing about the A rig when it was winning every fall and winter tournament. The lakes will be fine. The a rig didnít kill them off and the livescope wonít either.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:40 PM   #52
SC-001
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmusic View Post
Same thing happening with deer and to combat it, people are putting up high fences so they can let deer reach maturity before they shoot them. Thus, usually bigger antlers. But in a big lake what can you do? I think its going to end up similar to public hunting. More strict regs, seasons, times, dates, etc.
They’ll do studies and if the science agrees we will see fishing seasons for certain species like they have up north, and you could see fishing during the spawn closed. Our lakes have been hammered like never before during Covid and your seeing the results of that.
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #53
Hoss163
Pope & Young
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Coleman & Melvin Tx
Default

Out of all the bass that were caught over13lbs out of Ivie last year that were donated to the SOL program only two of them were not returned to Ivie after they spawned out at Athens ! One died the other was donated to Bass pro shops .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #54
warrington
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Heath, TX
Hunt In: Abilene
Default

I do agree a lot of people took up fishing during covid. But if they are getting hammered, why are these lakes still producing fish this size.

I believe that the number and quality of fishing will stay strong as long as we have rains. Seems like a lot of anglers, but not in the big picture of the number of these quality fish from theee lakes.

Fork has been known for big fish for years. And even with all the technology, it's still producing big bass

Not like deer hunting in east Texas when every 8 point buck gets shot. Fish produce thousands of eggs so they hatchery will stay strong as long as the lakes stay up. Animals that produce one or two offspring could deplete trophy's if they do not have years to develop
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:58 PM   #55
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull9 View Post
Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. Thatís not the case at all.

No, but being able to find/see them will most definitely change things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #56
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Everybody said the same thing about the A rig when it was winning every fall and winter tournament. The lakes will be fine. The a rig didnít kill them off and the livescope wonít either.
I dont remember A rigs scoring sharelunkers at a high rate prior to livescope. Not anywhere close. And now they're using both in combination to boat these fish.
Like I said, I don't have a problem with it but it has definitely increased the rate these big fish are being put in the boat. And there's a limited number of those fish. Overall, they are rare.
It is what it is tho. I'm not attached to there being big bass anymore. They're fun to catch if I get one but I don't have anything invested in it like I used to. In fact, if the numbers of DD fish dwindle maybe these "rodeo" days on lakes will dwindle too. I'd like that!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:15 PM   #57
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Out of all the bass that were caught over13lbs out of Ivie last year that were donated to the SOL program only two of them were not returned to Ivie after they spawned out at Athens ! One died the other was donated to Bass pro shops .
That's a drop in the bucket compared to all the 8,9,10,11,12 lb fish that were caught and released that weren't reported. Those weren't taken to a facility where experts at handling and reving these fish may have kept them alive. I'm not saying they all die or even the majority do. But some will because let's face, some guys don't take care of them and only care about a selfie.
Look at the number of people who are on Ivie daily now hammering away at these fish. It will only catch on and get more and more common as folks learn this technique and technology and expand to other lakes as well. Look how many people are adept at using common sonar these days as apposed to 20 years ago. Livescope has changed the game and even better tech is on the way.
Once the same DD fish gets caught 3 or 4 times in a season, it's survival rate will drop severely. If the current trend continues and tech gets even better these fish will become easier targets and most won't survive it. IMO

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:21 PM   #58
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull9 View Post
Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. Thatís not the case at all.
I dont know about most. Some maybe. I won't invest that kinda money in a unit because I'm not spending the time it takes to learn to use it and don't think the investment is worth the reward. There's a lot, and I mean a lot of folks that certainly will. Some won't have what it takes. There's plenty that will.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:47 PM   #59
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
I dont remember A rigs scoring sharelunkers at a high rate prior to livescope. Not anywhere close. And now they're using both in combination to boat these fish.
Like I said, I don't have a problem with it but it has definitely increased the rate these big fish are being put in the boat. And there's a limited number of those fish. Overall, they are rare.
It is what it is tho. I'm not attached to there being big bass anymore. They're fun to catch if I get one but I don't have anything invested in it like I used to. In fact, if the numbers of DD fish dwindle maybe these "rodeo" days on lakes will dwindle too. I'd like that!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Records were getting broken around the country when the a rig first came out. There were 40lb plus bags coming from lakes not known to produce them. If it had the impact yíall are saying this would be happening in every lake in the state and itís not. Some lakes setup specifically well for this type of fishing and Ivey is at the top of that list.

Where are the scoped up giants from Fork, Rayburn, Austin, AH, etc? Those lakes have giants but they arenít doing what Ivey is.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 12:00 AM   #60
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Records were getting broken around the country when the a rig first came out. There were 40lb plus bags coming from lakes not known to produce them. If it had the impact yíall are saying this would be happening in every lake in the state and itís not. Some lakes setup specifically well for this type of fishing and Ivey is at the top of that list.



Where are the scoped up giants from Fork, Rayburn, Austin, AH, etc? Those lakes have giants but they arenít doing what Ivey is.
Not yet

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 01:01 AM   #61
Bandito10
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Blanco Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
Not yet

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
We use live scope on my buddies boat and there are many times we have seen giants on Lake Austin, Lake Travis, and many of these lakes around here in central Texas and have thrown dang near the whole tackle box at those fish only for them to descend to the bottom and to not be seen again. More often then not I will add and it can be very frustrating..What if all this technology only makes these fish smarter to a certain degree? While I think there will be more big ones caught, I donít think they will be caught as much as you tend to think with the repetition of lures that they potentially could see and slowly educate these fish. Those fish for one donít get that big being stupid, some of these fish in our lakes go an entire lifetime without ever being caught and could have seen numerous lures go by. Like mentioned above, Ivey is setup perfect for these conditions right now, and while I donít love the live scope for the sport of fishing and whatís potential to come, I do think you still have to make that fish bite which is no easy task.
Bandito10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 01:27 AM   #62
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito10 View Post
We use live scope on my buddies boat and there are many times we have seen giants on Lake Austin, Lake Travis, and many of these lakes around here in central Texas and have thrown dang near the whole tackle box at those fish only for them to descend to the bottom and to not be seen again. More often then not I will add and it can be very frustrating..What if all this technology only makes these fish smarter to a certain degree? While I think there will be more big ones caught, I donít think they will be caught as much as you tend to think with the repetition of lures that they potentially could see and slowly educate these fish. Those fish for one donít get that big being stupid, some of these fish in our lakes go an entire lifetime without ever being caught and could have seen numerous lures go by. Like mentioned above, Ivey is setup perfect for these conditions right now, and while I donít love the live scope for the sport of fishing and whatís potential to come, I do think you still have to make that fish bite which is no easy task.

Over time all the fish will turn into ďpark fishĒ. There is a park near my house that I have personally caught 2 bass over 8lbs, and Iíve seen an 11 pulled out. This park pond has every brand, and every type of lure thrown into it all day everyday. The fish will almost never bite artificial now. Every large bass Iíve seen caught have been with what I would call unconventional means. The fish catch on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 01:51 AM   #63
tamu_bspeck
Ten Point
 
tamu_bspeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bullard, TX
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

I'm a beneficiary of livescope so I got zero reasons to butter anyone's bread. Truth is, in the right hands, livescope is a very unfair advantage for those willing to put the hours in learning how to use it. Some are willing to invest money with guides to shorten that learning curve and some will spend thousands of dollars and give up before they ever get proficient with it. It's much tougher with bass than crappie but still allows fishermen to specifically target bigger fish.

I guide for crappie with LS and can say that the amount of fish harvested is definitely growing but I don't see lakes struggling for numbers and i fish a lot of lakes each year. You can bet TPWD is keeping a close eye on it too. One thing I have started to take issue with is folks going out and only keeping 14" plus fish so that they can show off a table full of giants. Fun fishing, I keep what I need and will put back the bigger breeder fish if i know theyll survive. I also do my best to convince clients to do the same. The issue I see is a lot of those getting into this know nothing of being a sportsman. Lots of inconsiderate folks on the water and that carries over to wanting to be the guy to post pics of a table full of 2lb fish. That, to me, is what will hurt the sport.

Most of the folks who are spending thousands of dollars would be best served just booking a few trips a year because they won't ever spend the time to learn the nuances and the boat will eventually sit in the driveway or the garage. One thing I'm fairly sure of though is that the crappie populations will continue to thrive. They're prolific spawners and they will evolve with the technology. We already see it on some lakes as the fish get smarter. Hell we educated the crappie in 24 hours at the Mr Crappie Expo on the Red River last year. Literally 1 day of prefishing and we saw a huge difference in the fishes behaviors. Only big change I would like to see is slot limits to keep the non sportsmen from targeting boxes full of big fish. Let the big girls spread their genetics so our children and grandchildren will still have the same opportunities to catch big fish.
tamu_bspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 AM   #64
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito10 View Post
We use live scope on my buddies boat and there are many times we have seen giants on Lake Austin, Lake Travis, and many of these lakes around here in central Texas and have thrown dang near the whole tackle box at those fish only for them to descend to the bottom and to not be seen again. More often then not I will add and it can be very frustrating..What if all this technology only makes these fish smarter to a certain degree? While I think there will be more big ones caught, I donít think they will be caught as much as you tend to think with the repetition of lures that they potentially could see and slowly educate these fish. Those fish for one donít get that big being stupid, some of these fish in our lakes go an entire lifetime without ever being caught and could have seen numerous lures go by. Like mentioned above, Ivey is setup perfect for these conditions right now, and while I donít love the live scope for the sport of fishing and whatís potential to come, I do think you still have to make that fish bite which is no easy task.
Josh Jones seems to be pretty good at it. Maybe you can get some lesson from him.
Seriously tho, IMO It's going to catch on and folks will get better at it. Your right to an extent that these fish feel pressure and won't bite ...for a time. Eventually they have to eat. However, fish aren't smart. Their not figuring out that people have some new technology and they have to outsmart it and hide from them. Heck, they don't even know you're trying to catch them. They act purely on instincts. When they feel pressure or threatened they move or seek cover and become inactive as a defense mechanism. No logic involved, only instincts to survive. But eventually they have to eat to survive so they will go into feeding mode to survive. If they are constantly able to be located by the 100's of boats that will be looking for them with tech that allows them to be found like never before, they will be eventually located while actively feeding and will be caught. I'm not saying it's all happening right now, but it's headed that way and fast. Technology and the anglers use of it is only getting better. As more anglers learn to use it properly (and thanks to social media, they will) it will put pressure on these big fish like never before.
I could be wrong...but so could you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 02:42 AM   #65
tazhunter0
Pope & Young
 
tazhunter0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wills Point
Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!
Default

Great fish for both of them.

I have actually watched some of the YouTube videos that the young guy has put out. Seems very knowledgeable but that is coming from somebody that goes with a guide to fish. I have never owned a boat and just bought kayaks last year to start learning to fish.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 04:11 AM   #66
Big Lee
Ten Point
 
Big Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
dont understand why this is a bad idea. Congrats to those who are able to catch and release trophy fish like this. once in a lifetime catch. Nice to hear of other lakes beside Fork producing these.
Well unfortunately for this fish. It will now live in a fish tank.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 04:42 AM   #67
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

I've had livescope about 6 months after it came out. It has definitely changed fishing. Fish that were never touched only by few fisherman are being caught by below average fisherman. I know especially in the crappie world where most people put brush out and just fish brush would catch alot of crappie. Now with livescope its a whole different world. Its the same way with bass fishing. I know side image was great but most people struggled to understand it. It will definitely hurt the crappie fishing because it already started. And for bass i believe it will hurt it too. These fish used to be able to go off shore and get a break not any more. Sight fishing in 30 ft of water



Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:02 AM   #68
Deuce16
Ten Point
 
Deuce16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Uvalde
Hunt In: central TX
Default

But if rattlesnakes can learn not to rattle since because the hogs will eat them, cant fish learn not to bite the fake bait? Or like the infamous big black cat that magically avoids having its picture taken by all the game cameras and being shot by all the hunters in the woods?
There will always be something out there to make it easier for those that "cant", its the way of the dollar.
Deuce16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #69
cmwessels
Spike
 
cmwessels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Parks and Wildlife is the reason these big fish are in that lake. I had a conversation with a TPWD employee on Sunday in Matagorda about this exact topic. He was part of stocking the fingerlings that are now being caught. Facebook and cell phones will cause much more harm than the actual livescope. Most all of these fish are released. I'm fairly certain that anyone targeting bass with a livescope has plenty ability to catch a more desired eating fish or buy something at the store. As for the crappie, I agree that something may have to be done.
cmwessels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:46 AM   #70
rtjh
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Just watched some YouTube videos on livescope, I had no idea that technology existed. Kinda takes the sport out of fishing and turns it into a video game.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #71
duckmanep
Pope & Young
 
duckmanep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northeast TX
Default

I bet a 13lb bass has some nice sized filets.... yumm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 07:59 AM   #72
GARY
Administrator
 
GARY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yep. Same goes for the fancy guns, with fancy scopes covered in fancy knobs and electric range finding powers and all the rest of the bells and whistles. Oh and the 1,000 yard "muzzle loaders" that are being used these days.

That's my thought as well. I won't cast stones until I am
1) Hunting with a bow / arrow / arrowhead I have built myself
2) Fishing with a man made spear

Technology comes and goes. For the most part (at least bass) I personally have not seen damage to the industry (they return most/all these fish). Saying this, I share your underlying frustration with the perception this gear is leading to more traffic of inept outdoors folks... like the coastal fishing I now enjoy, the overrun with weekenders all on the water who don't know yet how to run a boat safely.
__________________
Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #73
tamu_bspeck
Ten Point
 
tamu_bspeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bullard, TX
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce16 View Post
But if rattlesnakes can learn not to rattle since because the hogs will eat them, cant fish learn not to bite the fake bait? Or like the infamous big black cat that magically avoids having its picture taken by all the game cameras and being shot by all the hunters in the woods?
There will always be something out there to make it easier for those that "cant", its the way of the dollar.
We witnessed what the pressure does to fish at the Mr Crappie Invitational on the Red River. Day 1 of prefishing, you could park on top of them in 10ft of water and they wouldn't move. On day 2 they stayed on bottom and didn't bite nearly as easily. Those fish were educated in a hurry. Sure there were fish still caught but they will evolve to be harder to find and catch. Still, crappie are such prolific spawners, it's going to be very difficult to put much of a hurting on the populations
tamu_bspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #74
ElfEyes
Ten Point
 
ElfEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nederland, TX
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
I bet a 13lb bass has some nice sized filets.... yumm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be surprised if them Cajuns on Toledo know how they taste
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #75
tamu_bspeck
Ten Point
 
tamu_bspeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bullard, TX
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
Just watched some YouTube videos on livescope, I had no idea that technology existed. Kinda takes the sport out of fishing and turns it into a video game.
It is a video game of sorts. The common misconception though is that it is easy. I've watched a lot of folks who thought it was plug n play where fish just jumped in the livewell. That's is far from the case. It requires a lot of hours to get really proficient with it. I had probably 1000 or more hours before I felt like it became cheating. Most will never put in that type of commitment. It isn't just learning the technology. You have to learn boat control and bait presentation as well.
tamu_bspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #76
rtjh
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamu_bspeck View Post
It is a video game of sorts. The common misconception though is that it is easy. I've watched a lot of folks who thought it was plug n play where fish just jumped in the livewell. That's is far from the case. It requires a lot of hours to get really proficient with it. I had probably 1000 or more hours before I felt like it became cheating. Most will never put in that type of commitment. It isn't just learning the technology. You have to learn boat control and bait presentation as well.
I don't doubt it takes some level of skill to be proficient but being able to bonk a fish in the nose with your lure in 20 feet of cloudy water just seems a bit unfair. To each his own though.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #77
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Less than half of these SAL fish were caught offshore using active sonar. Most were caught spawning. So are some people worried about active sonar but not bank fishing for spawners? Catching a fish spawning on the bank is way easier IMO than tracking down a fish in open water and getting it to bite.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #78
kevin nicholls
Ten Point
 
kevin nicholls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pasadena tx
Hunt In: Who knows
Default

Those same guys using all this technology and high speed stuff were catching them before it came out and will catch em without it. They could out fish most of us with a Snoopy pole and a canoe. Technology doesn't make the fisherman no more than it makes the hunter. It's still the Indian not the arrow. Just my 2 cents.
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #79
Dru
Ten Point
 
Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Are you the Dru from BTL?
Yes
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #80
Tbull9
Six Point
 
Tbull9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Crawford Tx
Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
I don't doubt it takes some level of skill to be proficient but being able to bonk a fish in the nose with your lure in 20 feet of cloudy water just seems a bit unfair. To each his own though.
You wound be suprised how hard it really is to hit a fish with a lure watching it on livescope. With trying to control the boat and the fish moving itís pretty hard. I fish quite a few bass tournaments a year and I think livescope can hurt you just as much as it can help you. I have spent many hours during tournaments fishing for suspended fish offshore for them to not bite. You can definitely waste some time watching the screen.
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #81
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Yes
Cool, frequented that website for tour news since 2007 and the wide open days, Matt needs a sidekick it ain't the same without Mark.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 10:51 AM   #82
Dru
Ten Point
 
Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Cool, frequented that website for tour news since 2007 and the wide open days, Matt needs a sidekick it ain't the same without Mark.
Yes he does. A lot of guys around Norman can guest host with him. He needs to bring Harold Allen back. Mark is trying his hand at pro bowling now.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #83
tamu_bspeck
Ten Point
 
tamu_bspeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bullard, TX
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
I don't doubt it takes some level of skill to be proficient but being able to bonk a fish in the nose with your lure in 20 feet of cloudy water just seems a bit unfair. To each his own though.
We could do it before livescope essentially but not as efficiently albeit. 2d sonar allowed you to see your jig and the fish. It wasn't live sonar but you could mark depths of active fish and use that to identify structure to fish and drop your Bair right down amongst them. You didn't get to see them react the way we do now though. I know guys that can point at a tree on fork and tell you the exact depth to drop to and you would catch a fish as soon as it got there. Mammals are creatures of habit and they tend to end up in the same places with comparable conditions
tamu_bspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #84
MadHatter
Pope & Young
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamu_bspeck View Post
We could do it before livescope essentially but not as efficiently albeit. 2d sonar allowed you to see your jig and the fish. It wasn't live sonar but you could mark depths of active fish and use that to identify structure to fish and drop your Bair right down amongst them. You didn't get to see them react the way we do now though. I know guys that can point at a tree on fork and tell you the exact depth to drop to and you would catch a fish as soon as it got there. Mammals are creatures of habit and they tend to end up in the same places with comparable conditions
Fish ain't mammals
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #85
tamu_bspeck
Ten Point
 
tamu_bspeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bullard, TX
Hunt In: Callahan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Fish ain't mammals
Parently my fingers are too fat or type too fast. Sposed to say animals not mammals.
tamu_bspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #86
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
I bet a 13lb bass has some nice sized filets.... yumm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I've ate a 10, it wasn't that good. Small bass eat great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
Just watched some YouTube videos on livescope, I had no idea that technology existed. Kinda takes the sport out of fishing and turns it into a video game.
I've been video game fishing with old school 2d sonar for years.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #87
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young
 
HoustonHunter94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Looks like another 14+ was caught today on Ivie
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #88
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
Looks like another 14+ was caught today on Ivie
Josh Jones strikes again....2 this year and 2 last year. Just insane how good he is!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #89
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Over time all the fish will turn into “park fish”. There is a park near my house that I have personally caught 2 bass over 8lbs, and I’ve seen an 11 pulled out. This park pond has every brand, and every type of lure thrown into it all day everyday. The fish will almost never bite artificial now. Every large bass I’ve seen caught have been with what I would call unconventional means. The fish catch on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If youre talking about the lake in the front of then hood, you should have seen if before it got drained and dug out. It was nothing to go catch 10-15 bass a day in the spring. On any bait you wanted to throw. I have a pic somewhere of me standing on a sandbar that was on the north west corner of it. I have 4 bass over 6lbs that I caught within an hour of each other.

After it got dug and filled in there was a few people that got together and put fish in that lake with their own money. I personally brought fish there from other lakes and turned them loose. We had put standing timber and brush piles all over it. It was a great neighborhood pond.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #90
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
If youre talking about the lake in the front of then hood, you should have seen if before it got drained and dug out. It was nothing to go catch 10-15 bass a day in the spring. On any bait you wanted to throw. I have a pic somewhere of me standing on a sandbar that was on the north west corner of it. I have 4 bass over 6lbs that I caught within an hour of each other.

After it got dug and filled in there was a few people that got together and put fish in that lake with their own money. I personally brought fish there from other lakes and turned them loose. We had put standing timber and brush piles all over it. It was a great neighborhood pond.

No I was referring to Burroughs. Never caught anything over 2lbs at the hood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #91
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
No I was referring to Burroughs. Never caught anything over 2lbs at the hood.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Burroughs was better before it opened to the public. The pct camp was there a while before that happened. Depending on who you knew the gate didn't always get locked. My son caught one just over 6lbs first week of December

The deer back there are an entirely different thread

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #92
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Burroughs was better before it opened to the public. The pct camp was there a while before that happened. Depending on who you knew the gate didn't always get locked. My son caught one just over 6lbs first week of December

The deer back there are an entirely different thread

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Try catching anything now. The banks are lined daily


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #93
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties
Default

F just got an alert that guy caught another SAL.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #94
Hoss163
Pope & Young
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Coleman & Melvin Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Josh Jones strikes again....2 this year and 2 last year. Just insane how good he is!
It want be his last this week probably. He finds them with llivescope 4r5 big fish in a group are single out one big fish and chases it around until he gets it to bite. A lot of patience!!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #95
careybirdwell
Pope & Young
 
careybirdwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: Melvin, TX
Default

I have been wanting to take my kayak up there. I know nothing about the lake, but it is about 40 miles from my lease. I see it has a lot of stick ups & flooded brush
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 05:24 PM   #96
Chad C
Pope & Young
 
Chad C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NRH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
It want be his last this week probably. He finds them with llivescope 4r5 big fish in a group are single out one big fish and chases it around until he gets it to bite. A lot of patience!!


Yes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 06:07 PM   #97
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

https://shopkarls.com/blog/world-rec...spotted%20bass.
New state record meanmouth. Would've been world record but too many hooks used

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com