Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska
Default O.H. Ivie giants

The boat ramps will look like a Walmart parking lot on Black Friday again this year it appears.. Great fish!!
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...ZC6hy8kzlQsV52

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 01-18-2022 at 09:30 AM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
Dru
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
The boat ramps will look like a Walmart parking lot on Black Friday again this year it appears.. Great fish!!
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...ZC6hy8kzlQsV52
Garmin has changed the game for locating big fish.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
ram04
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods, Val verde/Edwards line

Just like the invention of the repeating firearm and being able to mow down the Buffalo, technology will wipe out populations of big bass. All I can say is treat these big females with respect if your lucky enough to catch em.
ram04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Wow, IIRC that lake was bone dry many years ago and I heard it was done
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram04 View Post
Just like the invention of the repeating firearm and being able to mow down the Buffalo, technology will wipe out populations of big bass. All I can say is treat these big females with respect if your lucky enough to catch em.
By technology you mean live scope and I couldnt agree more
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #6
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
By technology you mean live scope and I couldnt agree more
Livescpoe, side imaging are making it easier, but tack on social media giving up reports in real time, secrets being shared and pros looking to make a living giving out their gained information from years of fishing. All this is making a better equipped angler that is more capable of catching bass and more people on the water gives bass no time where they are not molested.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

dont understand why this is a bad idea. Congrats to those who are able to catch and release trophy fish like this. once in a lifetime catch. Nice to hear of other lakes beside Fork producing these.
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
ram04
Ten Point

Big trout fishing like what I mainly fish for has taken a huge hit by the same problems outlined in my other post. Up to Ten years ago you could sit on a school of big trout for weeks without people running them over, now once a certain type of person catches them it’s on the web and fishing pressure increases, decreases catch rates. The lakes are taking the same hit.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #9
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
dont understand why this is a bad idea. Congrats to those who are able to catch and release trophy fish like this. once in a lifetime catch. Nice to hear of other lakes beside Fork producing these.
I feel like the people that learned to catch that caliber of fish when it was hard work and lot of hours to gain the knowledge to be successful were more incline to treat the others who chase that type of fish with more respect and treat the fish with more respect. If itís easier to catch, more people who have not put in the time to learn will usually not respect how hard it was to learn therefore not respect the fish or the others that are chasing them, the easier it gets the less respect until you get to where we are now.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: God's green earth

Nice fish
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #11
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, big lake , presidio , tiviolie

My take is it sounds like catching 30+ inch trout in the harbor during a cold weather event

But it’s still legal so whatever
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
My take is it sounds like catching 30+ inch trout in the harbor during a cold weather event

But itís still legal so whatever
And to add to it, having a Facebook page that lets everyone know they are in the harbor lol.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #13
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

I can see it turning into heavier restrictions in the form of limited seasons, and limited numbers of boats allowed on a lake during certain seasons. The resource won't handle the pressure unless restrictions are applied. IMO

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:01 AM   #14
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
It’s going to ruin the resource if they’re not careful. Many of those big fish have delayed mortality, especially when caught deep, they swim off but die a few days later. Smallmouth are even worse about delayed mortality.

Last edited by SC-001; 01-18-2022 at 11:07 AM.
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:01 AM   #15
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
And to add to it, having a Facebook page that lets everyone know they are in the harbor lol.
Dang shame, at least TP&W tried fixing the big trout problem
Isnít this fishery catch and release?
Let the sows spawn out then open it up?
Old 01-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #16
ram04
Ten Point

Which fishery are you referring to as catch and release?
Old 01-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #17
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
I can see it turning into heavier restrictions in the form of limited seasons, and limited numbers of boats allowed on a lake during certain seasons. The resource won't handle the pressure unless restrictions are applied. IMO

I agree, itís not about food anymore. Start thinking about what we leave for our kids instead of how many can we keep tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #18
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

These guys are targeting and catching only a handful of bass a day at most and releasing them all....it will not hurt the population of fish, now overcrowding (PIA boating) will certainly be a problem at some of the lakes, but that will limit itself over time.

My guess is you could see crappie limits changed at some point because of the tech. but bass will be fine. Most of the anglers that are springing for this tech. are catch and release only anyway, will you have delayed mortality on some, sure, but destruction of habitat (spraying grass, etc...) is WAY more impactful on the fish population than the invention of these graphs.
Dugie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #19
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Which fishery are you referring to as catch and release?
Bass .
I am not a fresh water except management of stock tanks
Large water I have zero on
Old 01-18-2022, 11:25 AM   #20
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugie View Post
These guys are targeting and catching only a handful of bass a day at most and releasing them all....it will not hurt the population of fish, now overcrowding (PIA boating) will certainly be a problem at some of the lakes, but that will limit itself over time.

My guess is you could see crappie limits changed at some point because of the tech. but bass will be fine. Most of the anglers that are springing for this tech. are catch and release only anyway, will you have delayed mortality on some, sure, but destruction of habitat (spraying grass, etc...) is WAY more impactful on the fish population than the invention of these graphs.
Itís just another added tool making it easier to catch em, yes it will be detrimental due to the fact of more people catching more fish leading to higher mortality and less bass getting to that size.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #21
Tony Gutierrez
Four Point

Hunt In: Zapata Texas

Running Live Scope to this level is a high end learned skill.
The argument can be made that it creates a unfair advantage. And if it creates a un fair advantage it will be made illegal.
So get it while you can!!
Fishing Ivie in Jan.-Feb. could be brutally cold.
Tony Gutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:28 AM   #22
rolylane6
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugie View Post
These guys are targeting and catching only a handful of bass a day at most and releasing them all.
"These guys" is not just a few anymore and the numbers are growing as it becomes more and more publicized. Catching these rare fish over and over will result in higher morbidity rates.
I'm not against it. Just saying it will either result in more regulations or in reduced numbers of these large fish.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #23
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
"These guys" is not just a few anymore and the numbers are growing as it becomes more and more publicized. Catching these rare fish over and over will result in higher morbidity rates.
I'm not against it. Just saying it will either result in more regulations or in reduced numbers of these large fish.

I agree.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #24
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:

Pretty soon the "trophy Bass Lease" will be a big thing. Its already there but I see if getting bigger over the next 20 years.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Livescope is so 5 years ago. Just wait till you see the new stuff. Having to work to locate fish or even the exact size/species of fish you are looking for will be a thing of the past. The only sport left in it will be getting them to take what you keep dropping in front of their mouths as you follow them around.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #26
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Livescope is so 5 years ago. Just wait till you see the new stuff. Having to work to locate fish or even the exact size/species of fish you are looking for will be a thing of the past. The only sport left in it will be getting them to take what you keep dropping in front of their mouths as you follow them around.
I agree, I can slow buzz a offshore structure and see 360* what type of fish and levels, I would think fresh water is =
Old 01-18-2022, 12:21 PM   #27
ram04
Ten Point

Capitalism is so awesome, it gives people a means to pull themselves out of poverty but in the name of expanding and growing it sure has unintended consequences from time to time lol. Always looking for the next big thing to increase profits our fishing sports as an example will be demolished in the future, and resources will continue to dwindle and dwindle.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #28
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:

Ditto, its all over social media and its not good.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #29
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Are they actually killing fish?

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #30
rolylane6
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
It's all debatable but there are studies that these large fish, being caught and stressed during an ready stressful time does result in higher percentage chance of death.
Coupled with targeting and pressuring them repeatedly, I'm sure would raise those percentages.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #31
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

man sure are a lot of guys that claim this is hurting bass fishing, probably also claim that fishing and hunting is "becoming too expensive for the common man"

Look at all the SAL that were caught last season, they were brought back to HQ, had their genetics taken so they could get off spring from them and then released back into the lake.

Lakes that have had SAL fry stocked in them have already proven the viability of this program and it shows on the lakes.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #32
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:

Yep, just like cell cameras....it's gotten too easy now. A 10lb fish won't mean nearly as much as it did, and it'll turn into a **** show. The real fisherman would be fine, but now it's turning into a ****** bag sport...every tool with a straight piped dodge, a 90k dollar boat, and a pair of white framed sunglasses (all financed for 10 years), will be out there killing fish.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #33
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Yep, just like cell cameras....it's gotten too easy now. A 10lb fish won't mean nearly as much as it did, and it'll turn into a **** show. The real fisherman would be fine, but now it's turning into a ****** bag sport...every tool with a straight piped dodge, a 90k dollar boat, and a pair of white framed sunglasses (all financed for 10 years), will be out there killing fish.
you think the stuff is only financed 10 years? but well said
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #34
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Garmin has changed the game for locating big fish.
Yes I listen to a local fishing show(radio)and I here these guides talking about how this new technology basically makes it impossible for fish to hide these days.. Same in Crapppie tournaments. They can consistently target and catch the big ones now with these electronics.. Things have definitely changed. It all showed be outlawed IMO..
Much like Boone and Crockett is re-evaluating and looking to change its rules on all of this long range hunting and use of electronics for book animals.. It reaches a point were its not "hunting". It's just killing.. And many animals are crippled and lost because everybody is a LR sniper these days.. BIG changes are coming..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 01-18-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #35
Dru
Ten Point

Quote:
I've never been a big dodge fan. I have a lot of friends in the industry and this is not them. As with hunters most fisherman care more about the game and habitat than the average guy.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #36
Dru
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
No. Not catching them this way.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #37
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep. Same goes for the fancy guns, with fancy scopes covered in fancy knobs and electric range finding powers and all the rest of the bells and whistles. Oh and the 1,000 yard "muzzle loaders" that are being used these days.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #38
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
It's all debatable but there are studies that these large fish, being caught and stressed during an ready stressful time does result in higher percentage chance of death.
Coupled with targeting and pressuring them repeatedly, I'm sure would raise those percentages.

Is it any more stressful for those fish to be caught using a livescope than it would be catching that fish off of a bed in a couple months? I'd say highly unlikely.

Am I wrong or aren't those fish in there for us to catch?

I've had livescope since last spring, it does not make the fish magically jump in the boat. It will allow you to target suspended fish easier but they still have to bite. I'd wager most people who buy livescope won't spend the time to learn it and be effective with it anyway. They'll go out and play with a for a little while then go back to throwing their favorite plug or chatterbait at the bank.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #39
ram04
Ten Point

Your correct but in the spring there will only be a couple months where those fish are vulnerable and people can catch them up shallow. With the new technologies the times of year when those fish would be able slide off in deeper water and be unmolested is gone and with more and more information it will get easier and easier for people get on those fish which will increase catch rates.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #40
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Crappie fishing is what livescope is going to eventually hurt bad. Its not weekend anglers that catch 30 or 40 per trip. Its the 100s of guides that take 4 to 6 people daily sometimes twice a day and they all limit out. 100 to 200 crappie per guide sometimes twice a day. That will put a serious hurt on the fish and fishery and do it sooner than later.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #41
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
I've never been a big dodge fan. I have a lot of friends in the industry and this is not them. As with hunters most fisherman care more about the game and habitat than the average guy.
Yeah, the real fisherman. I'm talking about the new crowd coming in because of the "cool tech", just out there for the facebook glory.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 04:04 PM   #42
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
I have a lot of friends in the industry and this is not them. As with hunters most fisherman care more about the game and habitat than the average guy.
Are you the Dru from BTL?

Last edited by bossbowman; 01-18-2022 at 04:09 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #43
Tbull9
Six Point

Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood

Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. That’s not the case at all.
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #44
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull9 View Post
Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. Thatís not the case at all.
But you can greatly increase your chances of finding them..
Old 01-18-2022, 05:17 PM   #45
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mPyU7M7FUGfO2B
Old 01-18-2022, 05:27 PM   #46
newmathewsfan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Val Verde County

Quote:
Most think you can stick a livescope on your boat and go catch them. Thatís not the case at all.
This is absolutely true. Iíve got livescope and Iím not even close to proficient with it. Sure youíve got an advantage with finding the fish, but there are nowhere near as many experts out there as you might think. Us weekend warriors will still struggle even with the new technology.
newmathewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #47
rolylane6
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Is it any more stressful for those fish to be caught using a livescope than it would be catching that fish off of a bed in a couple months? I'd say highly unlikely.

Am I wrong or aren't those fish in there for us to catch?
I think it stresses them everytime time you catch them no matter the season. I will say where livescope comes into play the most is when those fish are suspended in open water, usually deep, during winter in cold water. Hauling them in from deep water stresses them more than when they are shallow. Not that catching them shallow while spawning doesn't stress them too. The point is the more we catch these fish the more likely they are to die.
And if you read my previous post, I said I'm not against it. But it will lead to a reduction in numbers.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:50 PM   #48
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
That's not the case at all, but people that know how to use it, can flat slaughter fish. I have seen it first hand and its doing a number on the crappie
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 08:52 PM   #49
Tbull9
Six Point

Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
That's not the case at all, but people that know how to use it, can flat slaughter fish. I have seen it first hand and its doing a number on the crappie
I agree with you on the crappie. It makes crappie fishing very easy.
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:10 PM   #50
stringmusic
Six Point

Hunt In: Deer Stand

Same thing happening with deer and to combat it, people are putting up high fences so they can let deer reach maturity before they shoot them. Thus, usually bigger antlers. But in a big lake what can you do? I think its going to end up similar to public hunting. More strict regs, seasons, times, dates, etc.
stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top