Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
DKW II
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Home Generator Placement

I am having a whole home generator with a transfer switch installed soon and we are deciding on placement.

My electric meter and gas connection are on opposite sides of the house. For the guys with generators and the electric/gas connection on opposite sides of the house, where did you install yours? Close to the electric meter or close to the gas connection?

I appreciate the feedback.
DKW II is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
deep n the heat
Ten Point

My utilities were close together. I would install it close to the electric service. It is probably cheaper and easier to run 1 gas line as opposed to all of the wires needed.
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Pstraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Personally, I would have mine closer to the breaker box. I have electric feed and propane on the same side of my house though.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Agreed. Distance doesn't affect gas as it affects electricity. I'm sure it's cheaper to run the gas line.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Maddox
Ten Point

I believe it’s cheaper to run electric lines than it is to run a gas line.

We looked into doing this and had the same issue.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: FJB

I had mine mounted where the exhaust pipe is pointed at my one crappy neighbor's house...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #7
Mauler
Four Point

You can actually get a second gas line and run it right up to generator

You can run a branch and do elevated pressure from the existing line. But it will be super expensive and depending on length you may need to upsize line etc
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #8
DKW II
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
My utilities were close together. I would install it close to the electric service. It is probably cheaper and easier to run 1 gas line as opposed to all of the wires needed.

This is in-line with what I am being told, just wanted to get a few different opinion from guys in the same situation. I appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #9
Slinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real County, TX

Whoever gives you a quote on the generator install should be able to quote you the added expense on wire footage should you choose to look at moving it closer to the gas meter. The power and control wires are actually all in one cable. Then get the plumber to quote you. Our plumber has a set price within 10 ft of the generator then it climbs from there. Several times we have found it cheaper to move the generator closer to the gas meter. You still have your transfer switch close to your electric meter.
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
This. Mine sits just outside the garage opposite the breaker panel inside. I live in the country so I have to use propane. I had to run the gas line 75 feet or so, but that doesn’t compare cost wise to the electrical line you’d have to run.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
Slinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real County, TX

Just something that might help you decide. Generac’s wire is around 4.50 a foot.
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 05:24 PM   #12
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Mine was a new build so I have the generator next to my electrical panel and C3 meter. I live rural so I ran my C3 line about 100 feet due to my choice of my tank placement.

Last edited by tps7742; 01-17-2022 at 05:35 PM.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 09:44 PM   #13
DKW II
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
This. Mine sits just outside the garage opposite the breaker panel inside. I live in the country so I have to use propane. I had to run the gas line 75 feet or so, but that doesn’t compare cost wise to the electrical line you’d have to run.
Good to know. This sounds like the set up we are leaning towards and similar to my layout. It would be about 75 feet of gas line, if not a little more.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #14
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW II View Post
Good to know. This sounds like the set up we are leaning towards and similar to my layout. It would be about 75 feet of gas line, if not a little more.
I did the same thing. I extended our propane line about 70' to power our backup generator. I rented a trencher for that and some other trenching that I needed done. Our propane guy installed the line, low pressure regulator and leaked tested the new installation. I backfilled the trench. The line extension cost about $350. I saved some money doing the trenching myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #15
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

We are in the same situation and ended up putting it about halfway between the 2. They did say anymore than 50-60 feet away from the gas meter would require an upgraded meter with higher output. Luckily for us we did not have that issue
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #16
DedDuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: My Real Name

Check gas requirements for generator. You man need a whole different regulator.
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #17
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voca, Jasper county, newton county and sabine county

We put ours close to the breaker panel and ran the gas to it.. The gas line was cheaper than the wire and there are load requirements for the electric side. Our gas meter is huge because everything in my house is gas. It was new construction so the gas company didn't charge me for the up grade .I did pay an extra 900 for the plumber to run the gas line 100 ft to the generator.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #18
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW II View Post
I am having a whole home generator with a transfer switch installed soon and we are deciding on placement.

My electric meter and gas connection are on opposite sides of the house. For the guys with generators and the electric/gas connection on opposite sides of the house, where did you install yours? Close to the electric meter or close to the gas connection?

I appreciate the feedback.
Either. Just away from bedroom walls.
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #19
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

I put the generator panel and switch right outside my utility room where our main panel is and put the generator in the garage along with a 100 gallon propane tank. I am going to put in a little doggie door in the door between the garage (detached garage) and the house to run the generator wire from the generator to the transfer switch. I can vent the garage with the door and a window. This should work and will keep me from having to move the generator and keep it out of the weather.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 08:14 PM   #20
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

My whole house is about 6 feet from the switch and power pole...tank about 10ft.
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:07 PM   #21
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default Home Generator Placement

Put it on the side of the house farthest from the rooms occupied most or at least far from the bedroom.

I put ours in the edge of the woods about 40 yards from the house. This put it on end of house that has entered and opposite end of house from electric meter. Neither was an issue, just had to upsize the wire.

Cost a little extra for both wire and copper tubing but it was worth it because I didn’t want to look at nor mow around the generator and propane tank right next to the house.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top