1883 ( show) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1883 ( show) question

So I figure a lot are watching 1883, is that not a Winchester low wall or high wall that he ( Tim McGraw ) is shooting ? I ask because, I believe they didn’t come out until 1885. Yea I know there are bigger things to think about, but just curious.

No one ?

Comment

Didn't see that, but I see westerns all the time that are supposed to be fighting Indians in the 1870's using 1892 Winchesters, and that are supposed to be right after the civil war and they have 1873 Colts.
      Time machines must be real in Hollywood.

Comment

I am not sure what year the show is supposed to be taking place. If I heard it correctly, the teenage daughter was supposed to have been born in 1883, then she is obviously late teens, to early 20s at the time of the story. So that would put the time around late 1890s to close to 1900. Which would not be correct for a west migration to Oregon, under the conditions they are showing in the show. There also would not be much of any indians out and about, shooting people with bows and arrows, and scalping people.

I think they just threw whatever made the show interesting, into the show. Kind of generally, somewhat correct for 1800s in western parts of the US. Not really accurate for 1883.

I have been trying to figure out what year this show is supposed to be taking place, I kind of gave up. It is obviously after the Civil war, so, sometime after 1860s. Then there are German emigrants going from Texas west ward, that could be any time from 1840s up to the 1880s. Really not sure how late German emigrants were still migrating to Texas, before they had to go through Ellis Island.

The rifle, I looked over as best I could. My money is, it is a Winchester 1885. So far, there are so many things that I think they got messed up on, in relation to the year this show is supposed to be taking place in.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          I am not sure what year the show is supposed to be taking place. If I heard it correctly, the teenage daughter was supposed to have been born in 1883, then she is obviously late teens, to early 20s at the time of the story. So that would put the time around late 1890s to close to 1900. Which would not be correct for a west migration to Oregon, under the conditions they are showing in the show. There also would not be much of any indians out and about, shooting people with bows and arrows, and scalping people.

I think they just threw whatever made the show interesting, into the show. Kind of generally, somewhat correct for 1800s in western parts of the US. Not really accurate for 1883.

I have been trying to figure out what year this show is supposed to be taking place, I kind of gave up. It is obviously after the Civil war, so, sometime after 1860s. Then there are German emigrants going from Texas west ward, that could be any time from 1840s up to the 1880s. Really not sure how late German emigrants were still migrating to Texas, before they had to go through Ellis Island.

The rifle, I looked over as best I could. My money is, it is a Winchester 1885. So far, there are so many things that I think they got messed up on, in relation to the year this show is supposed to be taking place in.

It takes place in 1883. You heard incorrectly

Comment

It’s a high wall according to this article.
            It’s a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post

I Thought this was correct
              The girl was born in 1883 and she turned 18 in the second episode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

cant bring myself to watch it with Tim McGraw being so anti gun

Comment

The whole Hollywood scene is full of anti gunners and sometimes they even kill someone for real. I think Tim Mcgraw actually does a pretty good acting job in this series.

Comment

I pointed that little mistake out to my wife but she was fixated on Sam Elliot so didn’t hear me, (or maybe because I’m constantly remarking on the firearms mistakes made on tv and in movies.)

Comment

The year is 1883 that you are watching now ...the daughter is 18 in 1883...in fact it could even be 1882 right now as I suspect the Yellowstone was founded in 1883.

Comment

I was wondering how Herefords got mixed up in a herd of ‘wild’ cattle in the late 1800’s

Comment

Working...
                        X