Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #1
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.
Default 2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Came here looking for the Thermal and Night Vision thread for the new year but y'all been slacking. 5 days in and no new thread. I guess since nobody is stepping up I will get the ball rolling. Just a quick little coyote video from last night. Got hasty and clipped him a bit low with the first shot and he did the helicopter, slinging a little blood. As soon as he paused I put the finisher on him.

16" 6.5 Grendel with Sierra 85 HP, SiCo Omega, and Thermion XQ50 from Outdoor Legacy Gear (Thermion is 1 1/2 years old and has put over 150 hogs and coyotes on the ground). As you can see Jason it has been working out great for me.

https://youtu.be/mCBGBrsLI88
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
jfk47
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard and Jackson counties

My BIL just purchased a XQ50. got to play with it this past weekend at the ranch. Now I've got to get serious about getting a thermal!!!!!!!
jfk47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #3
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Trying to save some money for one, but something keeps coming up and I have to spend the money...

Post up some videos for motivation, maybe I'll sell a kidney or something and get one.... SMDH!!!
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
Jethro
Ten Point

Couple of boars from last month.

https://youtu.be/UzmwguLjvUA

https://youtu.be/q18vd_sttsE
Old 01-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
ATI
Ten Point

Anyone got any videos using an AGM Rattle ts35,
1. How do you like it
2. If you can, Please post distance and other details about the video.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
static99899
Four Point

I've been considering a thermion 2 xp50 as my next thermal. For those that own one, how does the image look at night when the humidity is above 80%? Pictures?

Sent from my ASUS_I002D using Tapatalk
static99899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
What optic is that?
Never seen one with that reticle
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
Jethro
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
What optic is that?
Never seen one with that reticle
That is a Thermion XQ50. I have started pretty much running red monochrome (instead of white hot/black hot) because it is easier on my old eyes when I come off the scope to stalk. Doesn't kill my night vision as bad, I can still kind of see. It doesn't give quite as much detail but it works for me.

The Pulsars have quite a few reticles to choose from in the options. Most are 2nd focal plane style reticles. However they do have several reticles in there that are what they call "scaleable" and function the same way as a first focal plane reticle. A couple of those are MIL based. The one I am using though is the X51Fi-300. It is designed to basically be used as a manual style rangefinder by fitting animals of known sizes in the brackets. Actually set up for European game, fox, roe deer, and boar. However, I did some math using a 9" body depth for a coyote and the numbers came up as 135 yards if the coyotes body fills to the bottom subtension, 200 yards for the middle, and 300 yards for the top one. It really helps me judge range since my Thermion does not have a rangefinder. I have tested those numbers of mine against a full size coyote decoy and they are pretty spot on. Over the last year of shooting coyotes in the field I trust it.

Play that first video I posted with the coyote, and pause it at 4 seconds. Even though the crosshairs are not overlaid exactly where they would be while judging distance you can see his body depth pretty much covers all 3 marks on the crosshair. He is right at 135 yards, +/-. That one happened fast and I did not have time to get a good focus, I just had to put it on him and shoot. Also notice it is the same on both the main image and PIP. Being a scaleable reticle it is true and accurate at all magnifications.

Last edited by Jethro; 01-06-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:58 PM   #9
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by static99899 View Post
I've been considering a thermion 2 xp50 as my next thermal. For those that own one, how does the image look at night when the humidity is above 80%? Pictures?

Can't say about humidity, but I do know that it doesn't perform well in even light fog--
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
Jethro
Ten Point

Been using a Hogster 35R as a scanner and backup scope for about a year now. It doesn't have recording but it does have video out. I remembered that I have a MDVR from back in my old digital night vision days and decided to try and see if I could record with it off the Hogster. I ordered the Pulsar Apex adaptor cable from Jason because it looked like it would work (and it did). Got it in the other day and hooked everything up. Did a quick test inside the house just to make sure I was getting a video feed and when that looked OK I walked out in the front yard to make a test video on the MDVR. I was wearing pajama pants, a T shirt, and house shoes.

Ended up getting a really cool test video when a fox came trotting down the street towards me. My house is in the city limits but my barn across the street where my daughter keeps her show goats is not. Basically the street the fox was on is the city limits. Initial sighting was around 110-120 yards, it came less than 40 from me, then angled past the goat pens and disappears out there 100+ yards again. No mag in the rifle so I just had to watch.

https://youtu.be/hs4DBvIjzRs
Old 01-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
1. How do you like it

Thanks!
Look up reviews online or youtube
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #12
McClain
Ten Point

Cool vid Jethro, was that a red fox? Body shape looked more like a red than grey.
McClain is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 03:36 AM   #13
Take em
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Can't say about humidity, but I do know that it doesn't perform well in even light fog--

The rain will distort the clarity of the image you have. You will be able to see there is something there but you won’t be able to focus the image. Heavy fog does the same and harder to “look” through

https://youtu.be/-hGQ9gD7gjM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Take em is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #14
Jethro
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Cool vid Jethro, was that a red fox? Body shape looked more like a red than grey.
I really don't know for sure. We have both here. Couple years ago was seeing reds, but now mostly seeing greys. I think it was a grey, but maybe not.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #15
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Look up reviews online or youtube
Thanks, I'm hoping to hear from people who have it on here and see what they think...

Online and YouTube were the first things I looked at.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #16
gingib
Pope & Young

I heard 5 companies are coming out with new thermals next Tuesday. Curious to see
Old 01-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #17
russ_wit91084
Four Point

Do you have more details on the companies?
russ_wit91084 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #18
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_wit91084 View Post
Do you have more details on the companies?
No my buddy I hunt with just told me he heard it on a podcast this morning

I do know, in the past new thermals come out about this time.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #19
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
I heard 5 companies are coming out with new thermals next Tuesday. Curious to see
Shot show starts this weekend which is when most drop their new products. Pulsar already announced they are going to have a LRF on some of the Thermions. Super excited to see what else comes out.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #20
Jethro
Ten Point

I have a Thermion and like it, but it is heavy. I would also like a LRF on it. But dang, I bet that thing would be a brick. Looks like they added it above the objective from the picture I saw (if legit).
Old 01-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #21
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I have a Thermion and like it, but it is heavy. I would also like a LRF on it. But dang, I bet that thing would be a brick. Looks like they added it above the objective from the picture I saw (if legit).
It looks funny for sure lol. I have no need for an LRF, I hope they have some other fun stuff to anounce.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #22
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
It looks funny for sure lol. I have no need for an LRF, I hope they have some other fun stuff to anounce.
They’re bringing the FXG50 clip on to the Us market as well.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #23
Clay C
Pope & Young

Just a poor boy with a PVS14 and a dream .

But plan on participating in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:04 AM   #24
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yea LRF does nothing for me! Just another worthless add on to raise price
Old 01-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #25
static99899
Four Point

Quote:
Next time you have an opportunity, would you mind sharing a picture of what you mean?

I have the Thor 4 4-40x and it's a beautiful picture on days and nights below say 70%, but above that, and the picture gets hazy.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #26
static99899
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take em View Post
The rain will distort the clarity of the image you have. You will be able to see there is something there but you won’t be able to focus the image. Heavy fog does the same and harder to “look” through

https://youtu.be/-hGQ9gD7gjM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It looks like about what mine does when it's raining, (Thor 4 4-40x) just when the humidity gets high that it starts to get hazy and hard to make out different things in the background. Anything alive is still very obvious.

My Dad has the trijicon Mark 3 and a Halo LR. The trijicon looks identical to the ATN in the high humidity conditions but the halo with the contrast enhancement can see through the humidity until it hits about 90 to 95%.

So I was just trying to decide whether to sell my ATN and buy a pulsar. But if the image is no better I don't want to go through all that hassle and time.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #27
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Yea LRF does nothing for me! Just another worthless add on to raise price
I think that very few people actually need it, they just want it because it is cool or like the idea of it which I get since none of us really need any of this stuff we drop thousands of dollars on but it sure is fun lol.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:58 PM   #28
static99899
Four Point

Quote:
I think that very few people actually need it, they just want it because it is cool or like the idea of it which I get since none of us really need any of this stuff we drop thousands of dollars on but it sure is fun lol.
Does the laser rangefinder on the pulsar not update the impact point of the crosshair?

I have the laser range finder for my ATN Thor 4 and when you range a target, the ballistic calculator in the scope updates the crosshair.

If the pulsar does not do this, it's going to be even harder for me to go to a pulsar versus what I have...

Old 01-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #29
Whale
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Red River Co.

Quote:
1. How do you like it

Thanks!
No videos, but I purchased one last year and really like it! Got it from Outdoor Legacy sponsors on here. Called them and discussed recommendations and suggestions. Very helpful and very quick shipping. I would recommend the scope and seller again.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:11 PM   #30
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Does the laser rangefinder on the pulsar not update the impact point of the crosshair?

I have the laser range finder for my ATN Thor 4 and when you range a target, the ballistic calculator in the scope updates the crosshair.

If the pulsar does not do this, it's going to be even harder for me to go to a pulsar versus what I have...

From what I understand the answer is no. Also from what I understand is the ATN feature is not very accurate. I have no personal experience with it but I am not sure how it could be accurate because you never enter in your caliber, bullet weight, bullet coefficient, barrel length, etc.

Edit: It appears I was misinformed and on some models you can enter in this information. With that said I still read that the function is not dependable.

Last edited by Fordnandez; 01-14-2022 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #31
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
No videos, but I purchased one last year and really like it! Got it from Outdoor Legacy sponsors on here. Called them and discussed recommendations and suggestions. Very helpful and very quick shipping. I would recommend the scope and seller again.
Thank you!

Quick question, once it’s zeroed in can it be taken off the gun and put back on the same gun (or a different gun same platform) and it still holds zeroed in?
Old 01-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #32
static99899
Four Point

The LTs don't have the ballistic calculator but all of the $2400+ scopes do. I've personally got 4 weapon and caliber profiles on mine for when I want to take a different gun for the occasion.

The LRF is actually very accurate in open terrain, but if your trying to use it through thick brush or tall grass, you just get to laze the target a few times to be sure and you're set.

If there's any fog or it's raining, it's useless.

This has been my personal experience so far.

I like all of the features of my ATN, but ultimately, I want the best image I can get and retain as many of the features as I can. That's why I was looking at the thermion 2 xp50. Or I could sell my whole rig and buy a used HaloLR but then I loose the video recording unless I want the ungangly cable and DVR, not to mention, I currently can hunt 2 nights on a single charge on my ATN vs my dad's HaloLR eats CR123s like it owns stock in the battery company...

Old 01-14-2022, 10:25 PM   #33
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Next time you have an opportunity, would you mind sharing a picture of what you mean?

I have the Thor 4 4-40x and it's a beautiful picture on days and nights below say 70%, but above that, and the picture gets hazy.

I have not taken any shots thru the scope---will be out next week and will see if I can get some if it is foggy.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #34
static99899
Four Point

Quote:
I have not taken any shots thru the scope---will be out next week and will see if I can get some if it is foggy.
That would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #35
Whale
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Red River Co.

Quote:
Thank you!

Quick question, once it’s zeroed in can it be taken off the gun and put back on the same gun (or a different gun same platform) and it still holds zeroed in?
Yes, my son uses it more than me. I take it off and utilize it as a hand-held and he replaces it back for more hunting situations. No issues so far. He has also switched guns and zeroed to a different caliber on a different reticle.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #36
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Just put a Thermion XM50 on my Bergara to snipe coyotes and hogs out on my oats. Should have some video soon.
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #37
Eastexhunt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County

Just ordered a AGM Rattler TS35. Any tips or info I should know about?

Eastexhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #38
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Anyone know what that new talion xq 38 site is going to come in at price wise? Or any details on it yet?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #39
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Yes, my son uses it more than me. I take it off and utilize it as a hand-held and he replaces it back for more hunting situations. No issues so far. He has also switched guns and zeroed to a different caliber on a different reticle.
Thank you sir!
Old 01-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #40
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastexhunt View Post
Just ordered a AGM Rattler TS35. Any tips or info I should know about?

I'm saving funds for it. Let us know what you think once you got it and played with it.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #41
gingib
Pope & Young

I am looking hard at a Iray RIKO 640 3x and Nvsion X35.

Just need to sell my Reap and Iray 384 if I do
Old 01-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #42
Bazo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Lets talk Thermal Monocular.

I've been kicking the idea around about getting one because scanning through my scope on my rifle gets tiring after a while.

The 2 budget friendly option I have been looking at are the PULSAR AXION KEY XM30 2.5-10X THERMAL MONOCULAR or the AGM TAIPAN TM19-384 1.9-15.2X THERMAL MONOCULAR.

Who has which and how do you like them?
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #43
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
Lets talk Thermal Monocular.

I've been kicking the idea around about getting one because scanning through my scope on my rifle gets tiring after a while.

The 2 budget friendly option I have been looking at are the PULSAR AXION KEY XM30 2.5-10X THERMAL MONOCULAR or the AGM TAIPAN TM19-384 1.9-15.2X THERMAL MONOCULAR.

Who has which and how do you like them?
how much are those?
Old 01-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #44
Bazo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ati View Post
how much are those?
$1595-$1599.
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #45
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
$1595-$1599.
wow!
Old 01-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #46
static99899
Four Point

What would be awesome, is if a group of us with all different brands, models of thermals could get together one day some weekend in some semi-central location(Waco?) so everyone could compare and make some decisions. Just a thought...

Old 01-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #47
gingib
Pope & Young

I would not waste my money on a monocular, especially in that price point

Your ability to ID animals will be suspect at that price point. Buy another scope and scan with it and you can shoot with it
Old 01-18-2022, 11:31 PM   #48
rferg84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

What are y'all's opinions on ATN Thor 4?

I've gone the 1.25-4x sitting in a box on my desk, I bought it and started reading reviews. It just came in today so I can send back pretty easily.

I was reading some pretty negative reviews but was wondering if anyone here has experience?
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #49
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferg84 View Post
What are y'all's opinions on ATN Thor 4?

I've gone the 1.25-4x sitting in a box on my desk, I bought it and started reading reviews. It just came in today so I can send back pretty easily.

I was reading some pretty negative reviews but was wondering if anyone here has experience?
Send it back and buy something different.. There’s a reason why you hear so much horrible stuff.. Reputable dealers like Jason @ outdoor legacy do not even carry ATN products
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #50
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Send it back and buy something different.. There’s a reason why you hear so much horrible stuff.. Reputable dealers like Jason @ outdoor legacy do not even carry ATN products