Protein Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Help

We hunt on a 600 acre lease in N. Texas and have noticed fewer bucks this year. We have 5 stands and take only 4 bucks off the property a year.

There seems to be many more stands in the property all around us this past year. We have always fed protein with both troughs and feeders with tubes.
    We also feed corn all year round at all of our (5) stands.

I'm questioning whether the cost of feeding protein is worth it with the hunter population growing all around us.

Any thoughts from the green screen?

When you say you are seeing fewer bucks and noticing more stands in the area, how much are we talking here?

We had something like this happen a few years back. The neighbor was getting ready to sell and really set out to kill every dang buck they saw. Sucks but it happens. Now, if these neighbors are here to stay and just shooting everything, I would talk to them and see what they say. Then decide whats worth it to you. But pouring thousands of dollars into deer with no return sucks…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Protein in that area is a great attractant.

Comment

Depending on the area and where yall are in n Texas. Taking 4 bucks off 600 acres seems like alot imo. We pretty much stick to 1 trophy per 1000 acres with a few culls mixed in

Comment

Some things to consider...

The only way supplementation has a meaningful affect is if the bucks reach matutruity. Otherwise you're just growing slightly larger middle-aged bucks.

4 bucks off 600 acres. Generally speaking, and over a 20 year period, a non-hunted to lightly hunted herd will have a sex ratio of about 1:1.5. The buck population consists of about 25% young, 50% middle-aged, and 25% mature. In trophy management you can't kill all of the mature bucks each season or you won't have anymore, especially if you've had low fawn crops in the past. At most, targeting half of the mature bucks (12.5% of total buck herd) is barely sustainable, so let's stick with 10% for near guarenteed older aged bucks every year. So, in order to sustain that older age class while taking 4 bucks off 600 acres, the total population (assuming the unhunted population above) would have to be around 40 bucks living on that 600 acres. That would include 60 doe. Not counting fawns would be an adult deer density of 6 acres per deer. That's hill country density.

Tooth wear on the bucks y'all and your neighbors have killed would be enlightening. If they all have at least 1 dished molar, then proceed with no worries. But if none have at least 1 dished molar then positive impacts of feed may not be realized and consideration should be given to decreasing buck harvest and education on hoof-aging.

Comment

we took this 160 inch 5-6 year old buck off of our 300 acre LF ranch outside of Marble Falls (middle of Hill Country) surrounded by other LF ranches - we feed corn

there is hope!
            Attached Files

Comment

Without knowing your property’s carrying capacity, population dynamics, healthy harvest rates, I would think you are throwing money at the wall not knowing what is really going on.

You can only assume what they neighbors are doing as well, but they add it to the picture as you are assuming as part of the problem.

In short though, protein will help you grow and carry more deer per acre, but, your neighbors will benefit as well.

Comment

If the neighbors have wheat or triticale and you don't, that is where your deer are. I used to be able to keep them here until the guy a mile south of me put in a center pivot. Now, if it rains, we're o.k. In a dry year like this one, the deer go to the green stuff.

Comment

Heavy feed isn’t just to boost antler growth. It helps hold deer in a certain area, especially when it’s dry. Feed them, don’t overpressure them and they will stick around.

If people brag about killing big deer on small property and just feed corn, it’s likely because the neighbors have been feeding them heavily.

It’s impossible to keep the neighbors from killing deer, but if you do all the right things to keep them around you’d be surprised how many do.

Comment

I hunt about 500 acres LF and do free choice protein/cottonseed and timed corned feeders in DeWitt County (close to Cuero). With 2 hunters we usually take a couple of mature bucks (5-7 years old - DOES NOT ALWAYS HAPPEN THOUGH) as well as 3-4 does a year. As mentioned above it's important to know your deer count and what the area will sustain where you have shooters every year. We estimate we average about 65 deer in our population. I've noticed a definite uptick on antler and body size over the last several years after about 10 years of this feeding program. The best I've had is about 155' but average for a trophy here is usually 135-140". I chase deer I want out of the herd versus the trophies (unless I do get a crack at something in that 150" range). I'm very lucky and am part of a deer management club that includes nearly all my neighbors within several miles. You get people on the same mind set as far as management you can see good results. We were one of the first counties to start the antler management program and to see where we are at amazes me. During the season I run my corn feeder probably 2 times harder to keep deer (especially does) in our area. Keep the does and keep the bucks.

Comment

What kind of protein are you feeding?

Comment

Working...
                      X