Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-20-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas
Default Epic Cooking Fails Anyone?

I know that there are alot of good cooks on this site. Just a few trips to the recipe forum will verify that. But nobody was born knowing how to cook. You learn through trial and error. Let’s hear about some of your “ What was I thinking” moments. I’ll start.

When I was about 20 years old I built my first smoker. It wasn’t the best design but I thought it was a masterpiece. So it’s time to try it out and I invited virtually everyone that my young wife and I know for Saturday BBQ.

Now at the time I know absolutely NOTHING about bbq other than I like it and how hard can it be? All you do is stuff a bunch of wood in there and set it on fire and cook the meat and slap some sauce on it. So now all I need is some wood and some meat.

Looking back I don’t remember if we were just poor and couldn’t afford any wood or charcoal but I had a plan. I went out to some old pasture land that we had and pulled up a couple of old 6” split cedar posts for my cooking wood. Yes you are reading this right. CEDAR. Do I really need to continue on? I thought wood was wood.

I bought some chicken and sausage and the dogs ate really well that day. It was totally black from cedar soot. Thank God for Pizza Hut being close by to save our party. I’ve learned a little since then. Come on guys let’s hear em.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Got drunk and burned the beans for a wedding meal
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #3
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas. Hunt in Franklin and Linn County (Unit 11), Kansas

Went on a Hunting trip with a LARGE group of friends. I carried a thawed out 22lb turkey that we were going to smoke and eat on. Got the fire going, might have had a few adult beverages, did a little hiking up a hill, came back to camp and noticed the pit was roaring smoke. Grabbed the handles, lifted the lid and flames shot up about 10 feet high.
We saw what WAS a 22 lb turkey. Black as Midnight. The back, thighs, wings and drumsticks were charcoal. The Breast was PERFECTLY done.
Figured out that a 22 lb turkey CAN be cooked in 25 min...
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

a couple years ago my cousin introduced my family to grilled PB&J sandwiches.. they are awesome and my boys want them dang near every night now. just butter up the bread and throw it in a skillet...just watch out, that jelly will burn the S out of your mouth.

well, one night last summer, my 13yo son, in all his infinite wisdom, is up late by himself and decides to make one, except he isnt too sure about his ability to use the stove so he figures 10mins in the microwave should do the trick.

its probably around midnight and i wake up and think the house is on fire. it burned that thing to a chunk of charcoal and filled the whole house with smoke.

we still give him a hard time about it to this day.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #5
zztex
Pope & Young

My daughters first birthday party(she’s 30 now). I was taught to cook brisket by smoking at 225 for 5 or 6 hours and then wrapping and raising temp. Well, there was a foil issue. Either it wasn’t wrapped good or it got tore moving it on the pit. Juice leaked and a SERIOUS rise in temp occurred. Burnt it up. Luckily we had plenty of deer hamburger and were able to get it thawed and burgers saved the day. Had about 20 people over. Never let that happen again 😄
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

When my oldest was about 2 we ate biscuits and gravy every morning that I was off work. (Her request). For some reason that I can't remember, we spent a couple of days at my sister's house. She was at work when we got up one morning and I started our normal breakfast. No matter how much flour I added, (she kept it in a big tupperware container) my gravy wouldn't thicken up. After emptying the container we chunked the "gravy" and went to waffle house. Several weeks later my sister called and asked what we ate that required a whole container of powdered sugar.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Not mine but an aunt and uncle hosted a bunch of old school South Texas beef guys many years ago. They were keeping it simple with hamburgers.

Due to the amount of people they were feeding they bought a bunch of pre-made patties.

When it was all said and done, to their horror, they realized they accidentally bought and served veggie burgers to some big time ranchers. lol
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
Drop Tine
Ten Point

My roommates and I decided to grill some chicken quarters one night when I was in college. Mix some alcohol and hungry 20 year olds and we MIGHT have taken them off the pit a little early. We all got sick as dogs. That was 15 years ago and I still over cook chicken occasionally out of habit from that experience.

Another story; just a few years ago I was making a gumbo at deer camp. Spent a couple hours after the morning hunt making a homemade roux and went out (around 1-2) to help fill feeders. Back at camp my buddy thought it was just some “burnt leftovers” and threw it out. So we had to go buy a jar of roux, and I’ve never made my own roux since. ��
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #9
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

When our kids were young we would go on vacation, staying in a high rise at Destin with all of my wife's family (10-12 people) My SIL had brought two beef tenderloins and my BIL and I were tasked with grilling them. Well, after putting them on the grill down by the pool we got to drinking and watching all the girls and ended up getting plastered and losing track of time. It was a panic moment when we remembered - there sat over $200 of beef burned to a crisp and a dozen hungry people upstairs waiting for us. I remember going up to take our medicine from the wives - a guy on the elevator looked at what I had in the pan, laughed and said "Oh boy, you guys are effed!" He was right
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #10
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

So many.

First time I made Chicken and Dumplings as an adult (No Granny there to tell me exactly what to do) I didn't realize the recipe made enough seasoning for multiple batches. It called for a cup of salt. I read it over and over knowing that didn't sound right. I rationalized that I'd made other recipes where I hesitated at the ingredients and they all turned out fine. Of course eating that was like licking a salt block. Made it again the next day with the appropriate amount of salt and it was outstanding.

Once pan seared a steak and I guess I burned the oil. I was the last one to take a bite and I could see my daughter and wife not moving while chewing. I took one bite, stood up, and threw it in the trash. The wife and daughter both exhaled in relief.

Too many to name on the smoker.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post
My roommates and I decided to grill some chicken quarters one night when I was in college. Mix some alcohol and hungry 20 year olds and we MIGHT have taken them off the pit a little early. We all got sick as dogs. That was 15 years ago and I still over cook chicken occasionally out of habit from that experience.

Another story; just a few years ago I was making a gumbo at deer camp. Spent a couple hours after the morning hunt making a homemade roux and went out (around 1-2) to help fill feeders. Back at camp my buddy thought it was just some “burnt leftovers” and threw it out. So we had to go buy a jar of roux, and I’ve never made my own roux since. ��
Store bought roux? Get a rope. LOL. Just kidding. I’m sure it’s a time saver.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #12
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

I was put a Venison roast in the crock pot on top of veggies. Added beef & vegetable stock. Cooked on low for 6 hrs.
Went to eat it. Roast was DRY like Sahara Desert dry. The veggies was still raw. Wife was upset with herself for serving it. I laughed. That's when it got "fun"

It was my recipe, and I did the prep work. All she did was put it in the crockpot and turn it on she in no way served me a bad meal.

Anyways. I called Mom, I was 49, she asked me a few questions. She said ok, here's what YOU relearned . 1 way of NOT cooking it.
Mom taught me to cook.

She said I should have removed the silver skin and cooked the veggies on high for 4 hours & than added the roast on low for 2 hours.

She went on to explain that my method was the way she cooked a 6-8 lb roast feeding a family of 4 and a Kyle. . It wasn't the correct method for a 2-3 Venison Roast.
I didn't tell my wife I called Mom. My wife's kinda sensitive about her cooking....
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
Store bought roux? Get a rope. LOL. Just kidding. I’m sure it’s a time saver.
I learned to make roux to make a gumbo. Once I found out about jarred roux, I will never make it myself again. It’s only flour and oil
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:47 PM   #14
Benno
Eight Point

Volunteered to cook a couple of briskets for opening day of my sons youth football team, wife was team mom. Went to the camp house after work Friday with $120.00 worth of meat, got the firebox going and temp holding at 225. Put briskets on the pit, closed the lid and kept the temp right and lowering the weight of my cooler till 5am. Now it had been awhile since I smoked a brisket, and the whole time it seemed to me the fire box was taking a lot more wood than I remembered using in the past. Whatever, just watch the gauge and pull me off at 5:00. I never open the lid, why would you? The magic is happening. Well, when time was up and I did open the lid 2 12lb briskets were not much bigger than my foot. Temp gauge had gone bad and I was probably smoking at about 600*. FYI, about $250 for BBQ for 20 people.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 04:50 PM   #15
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

A few years we invited a bunch a friends over for supper.
I decided to make Gumbolaya
Bought shrimp, Andouille(sp?) Sausage, crabmeat, Bell peppers, Onion's, Boudain, Spicy Boudain, Rice, Barley, corn & ??. Bought a big ole stock pot to make it in. Bought some clear glass bowls so we couid see what we're eating. Got it all cooked and i seasoned it with some Red Pepper & Cayenne pepper. I knew my guest didn't like spicy. I tasted it. I didn't taste any spice so I added a bit more. I let it simmer for a while so the flavors could mix and there thing. When I served it was OMG SPICY.
We ended up ordering Pizza
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #16
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Tuna cassaroll..took a week, to get the smell outta the house..
Tried to feed it to my 95 pound German Sheppard..
She sniffed it. Sat down, and looked up at me.
And I swear I heard her say. "You really, expect me to eat that"??
I did discover, dogs can actually laugh.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #17
Jonathan
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

I was cooking brisket for the guys at work for Christmas (250lbs of brisket). I didn't pay attention to how level my pit was and at 1:00 am my wife came screaming into the bar yelling about a fire. When I got outside the flames were shooting out of the stacks 20' and both trailer tires blew from the heat while we tried to put out the fire. All the grease ran away from my drain and when my auto heat control kicked on, it lit, blew the doors open and burnt each brisket into little black footballs! We regrouped, threw on chicken and bought all the brisket the local place had and nobody would have known if the smoker trailer wasn't drug up on another trailer behind the shop.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #18
keng
Four Point

Hunt In: pa, georgia,texas

my 2 daughters just passed their nursing exams and told me they wanted to throw themselves a party, would we cook for it. I gave them a hard time about grown *** girls throwing a party for themselves, but said we would cook. I had the 3 pork shoulders on in the smokehouse all day, we put 40 lbs of brisket on about 2 am. After drinking all day, at 3 i went to bed, leaving my son and buddy in charge of the fire. at 3:30, the smokehouse caught fire and burned down, along with all the meat. Turns out, the graduation party was actually a surprise 50th birthday party for me and my wife. The walmart fried chicken went over pretty well.
keng is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 05:49 PM   #19
BowhunterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

Tried to make tamales one Christmas. Cooked them for two days and they were still not really done. That's when we realized we used too much masa
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #20
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Got drunk and burned the beans for a wedding meal
Better to burn the beans at a wedding than spill them is what I have always said.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #21
ctom87
Ten Point

I got a couple. Both happened in college when, like OP, I was in my early 20s and had no clue what I was doing. Also like OP, if the meat got hot it must have been done.

1) One day I wanted to make some ribs for some friends. I got the coals heated and threw it on the grill. After "a while," I thought they were done. Took them over to the friends house and we enjoyed them. This one single rack of ribs taught me the following:
  • Something can be burnt and undercooked at the same time.
  • You have to let the coals turn gray before you put food on the grill.
  • Flames aren't a good thing.

2) Fast forward maybe a year and my graduation gift was a Traeger. Sweet! It made grilling easier and with less stress. At the time, Traeger had the "chicken challenge"...follow their recipe and guide, and it'd be the best grilled chicken you ever had.

I followed the instructions to a T. However, I never checked the IT. After X hours, I pulled it off and me and my roommate dug in. The first 1/2 inch I'm sure was excellent...but I'll never forget his face when he kept slicing and it was completely raw.

I am MUCH, MUCH better now.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #22
Leaverrite
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I have a friend (brisket novice) who injected a brisket with red wine once because a recipe online said so. He then butchered the cook. His story makes me cry laughing every time.
Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:26 PM   #23
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
I got a couple. Both happened in college when, like OP, I was in my early 20s and had no clue what I was doing. Also like OP, if the meat got hot it must have been done.

1) One day I wanted to make some ribs for some friends. I got the coals heated and threw it on the grill. After "a while," I thought they were done. Took them over to the friends house and we enjoyed them. This one single rack of ribs taught me the following:
  • Something can be burnt and undercooked at the same time.
  • You have to let the coals turn gray before you put food on the grill.
  • Flames aren't a good thing.

2) Fast forward maybe a year and my graduation gift was a Traeger. Sweet! It made grilling easier and with less stress. At the time, Traeger had the "chicken challenge"...follow their recipe and guide, and it'd be the best grilled chicken you ever had.

I followed the instructions to a T. However, I never checked the IT. After X hours, I pulled it off and me and my roommate dug in. The first 1/2 inch I'm sure was excellent...but I'll never forget his face when he kept slicing and it was completely raw.

I am MUCH, MUCH better now.
Yea if we had not gotten better we would have died by now.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #24
KGreene
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County

In middle school while on one of our camp out hunting trips my brother and I shot a old big mature jack rabbit . We tried to roast it over a camp fire. And went very hungry that night.
KGreene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #25
dhall1414
Six Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

One time in college with ctom87 as my roommate we accidentally bought a big bag of raw peanuts instead of the roasted. So we decided to make roast peanuts. Except we didn't have access to an oven, so we did the only logical thing. We poured hand sanitizer over the peanuts and set them on fire haha. Afterwards the shells were burned to a crisp, the peanuts were still raw, and get tasted like hand sanitizer smelled.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #26
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

The first time i ever tried to fry fish on my own, maybe 7th or 8th grade / total rogue operation, i tried to fry perfectly good bass in karo syrup. Didn't really work out.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #27
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Got drunk and blew up a pressure cooker cooking beans .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:41 PM   #28
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall1414 View Post
One time in college with ctom87 as my roommate we accidentally bought a big bag of raw peanuts instead of the roasted. So we decided to make roast peanuts. Except we didn't have access to an oven, so we did the only logical thing. We poured hand sanitizer over the peanuts and set them on fire haha. Afterwards the shells were burned to a crisp, the peanuts were still raw, and get tasted like hand sanitizer smelled.
Bahahahaha young and dumb.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2022, 06:46 PM   #29
osochuck
Four Point

Grabbed the cinnamon instead of comino for chili….you can’t fix that mistake no matter how much seasonings you add

and yes chili should have beans…lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #30
dhall1414
Six Point

Quote:
Bahahahaha young and dumb.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
Yeah that was 16 years ago. ***
Old 01-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #31
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

At a very large charro bean cook off competition, my dad had to grab some more beer and left me in charge of the beans while he stepped away. I was maybe 10-11 at the time. He comes back, asks me how the beans were doing and I said “exactly how you let them”, very proud of myself.

And I meant exactly that, hadn’t stirred them or anything. He immediately runs Over to check on them and the bottom layer is burned burned burned. It was too late do anything to recover from it as the cup of beans was due for judging so he angrily submitted his cup of beans that I had burned. Judges start up on the mic starting from 8th place and my dad starts grumbling even more because I had messed them up.

Judge gets to first place spot and who does he call out?? Our beans and we take 1st place out of probably 50-60 teams at the time!!
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #32
bugleboy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young county

College seems to be an ongoing theme on this thread. Let me add one from my college days. We grew up on chicken fried steak, mashed taters, and gravy. Had watched mom make gravy many a time, but never done it myself. So I fire up a pan, get my grease going, sprinkle in some flour, mix it just right and then start adding some canned milk. Things are looking good!!! Poured that gravy over our steaks and took a big ol’ bite. $&@! That tastes like $&@! Come to find out, you don’t use Eagle Brand milk in gravy. Haha.
bugleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #33
ElPescador24
Spike

Hunt In: Laredo

Early in our marriage my wife made some garlic mashed potatoes. It was more like mashed potatoes garlic. I choked it down until she finally said, "these are terrible."

And in love garlic, but not that much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
ElPescador24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:12 PM   #34
westTXgirl
Four Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

I got married at 20 and didn’t know a lot about cooking that wasn’t self taught. One day I wanted to make homemade chicken pot pie with homemade crust and all. I was so proud of myself. Then I went to check on my pie and the top crust was on fire! Like rolling flames. Apparently I had put too much crisco in the crust and it ignited. Everyone was such a good sport and just scraped off the charcoal on top and salvaged what they could. I haven’t made a pie crust since and it’s been almost 17 years.
westTXgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #35
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Me and my buddy ruined a brisket down on the Guadalupe river one weekend trying to impress the girls we brought with us. We were so drunk we started throwing it at each other like a football laughing our asses off.

hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:21 PM   #36
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
At a very large charro bean cook off competition, my dad had to grab some more beer and left me in charge of the beans while he stepped away. I was maybe 10-11 at the time. He comes back, asks me how the beans were doing and I said “exactly how you let them”, very proud of myself.

And I meant exactly that, hadn’t stirred them or anything. He immediately runs Over to check on them and the bottom layer is burned burned burned. It was too late do anything to recover from it as the cup of beans was due for judging so he angrily submitted his cup of beans that I had burned. Judges start up on the mic starting from 8th place and my dad starts grumbling even more because I had messed them up.

Judge gets to first place spot and who does he call out?? Our beans and we take 1st place out of probably 50-60 teams at the time!!
Awesome. Did he change his attitude? My dad still would have acted mad for a couple years or so
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:21 PM   #37
TexasBob
Pope & Young

When my daughter was first born my MIL stayed with us a bit. Now she’s super critical of smells that aren’t kfc etc and also pretty judgy of us dads that married in at times. I found a recipe for torchy’s Diablo sauce that started with boiling habaneros. Didn’t even turn on the vent fan. It was hard to breathe in the living room connected to the kitchen. They went outside, I opened the windows and finished my sauce. Hell the weather was nice at least.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #38
sotol
Eight Point

About a year after we were married I decided to get the pressure cooker and cook a few potatoes. ( before microwaves ). Water, potatoes, lid on.
Everything is fine. I knew enough to let them cool down before opening. After a sufficien amount of time I went yo open the lid. NOTHING. I could not get it to open. Pulled and pulled. Not a tiny bit of movement. The wife thinks this is funny how I could screw this up. I take the pot outside so I can get serious with it. Pulled on those handles til I was blue in the face. Nothing moves. Wife is now laughing out loud. One more try and BAM. I breal one handle off. She is really laughing now. I am a carpenter do I know how to fix this. I get my framing hammer and go to waylaying on the stub of metal the handle was attached to. No movey. I beat on that thing till the metal stub was gone.

Finally I just gave up and chunked the whole darn pot(with my potatoes still in it) in the trash.

I was told later that it is a good idea to put a little oil on that gasket before you shut the lid. To this day I have never touched another pressure cooker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
sotol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #39
sotol
Eight Point

I just asked my wife if she remembered that pressure cooker
Oh yea!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
sotol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 07:35 PM   #40
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall1414 View Post
Please tell me y’all were drinking?
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:07 PM   #41
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

This one time I was making chili......and I forgot the pinto beans. Totally screwed them up.. Went and got hot dogs and buns, fritos and deep fried burritos to use it up...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #42
ctom87
Ten Point

**** I got another one...westTXgirl's story reminded me. dhall1414 as my witness.

Turns out, this story is about a blessing is disguise and how when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

I still have the Traeger as mentioned in post #21. It's 8 years old now. It's great, I really like it, but it can't go past 325. At 350, really awful smoke starts burning and it ain't good. Throw that sucker on "high" and forget about it. I know that lesson well, because...

February of 2020, I am a new dad of a 4 month old, and I have my family over for the Super Bowl. I am grilling RIBEYES! Exciting times. Now, truth be told, at this point I still haven't mastered the steak. I kept watching YouTube videos and they were all the same: SEAR IT! Get that good delicious crust.

At this point, I didn't know that my Traeger was handicapped to 325. So, I let'er rip and put it on High to sear after cooking to a medium rare. So far, so good. I throw those ribeye's down to sear, close the lid and walk off planning on coming back after about 5 minutes, figuring that would be great at about 425, which is traeger's highest temp.

After 5 minutes, I go out to check on them, lift the lid, and what's trailing that lid? Nothing but absolute chaos and flames - that's right - my grill dun caught on fire!

A quick freak out - as the grill is located on my back patio and the back door is open so all my guests are watching. I believe dhall1414 is laughing, my mom grabbed the baby and took off out the front door, wife is looking for a fire extinguisher and dad's geriatric *** has given up on life and is looking forward to be cremated for free.

I followed up with that by closing the lid and seeing that I could control the amount of flames. So, I decided hell if the **** grill is on fire this is the best possible sear I can get!!! They ended up being the best Ribeye's I had ever cooked.

Pics are the steaks that I made, but not my Traeger...but that's exactly what it looked like.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2022, 08:50 PM   #43
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Where to begin…

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:50 PM   #44
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

One of my family members made a pot roast in the crockpot with this bone broth!
Attached Images

SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #45
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

My wife and I moved in together after marriage. Her parents bought me a lyfetyme grill. First thing I cooked on it was ribs. Turns out the wood in my wood pile was pine. Not a very good wood to cook with lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #46
jbhlsu
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Where to begin…

This here! You think you learn from mistakes. Try to hand over cooking duties when I get on the brown water.
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #47
dhall1414
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Please tell me y’all were drinking?
Nope, stone cold sober
Old 01-20-2022, 09:04 PM   #48
dhall1414
Six Point

Quote:
**** I got another one...westTXgirl's story reminded me. dhall1414 as my witness.

Turns out, this story is about a blessing is disguise and how when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

I still have the Traeger as mentioned in post #21. It's 8 years old now. It's great, I really like it, but it can't go past 325. At 350, really awful smoke starts burning and it ain't good. Throw that sucker on "high" and forget about it. I know that lesson well, because...

February of 2020, I am a new dad of a 4 month old, and I have my family over for the Super Bowl. I am grilling RIBEYES! Exciting times. Now, truth be told, at this point I still haven't mastered the steak. I kept watching YouTube videos and they were all the same: SEAR IT! Get that good delicious crust.

At this point, I didn't know that my Traeger was handicapped to 325. So, I let'er rip and put it on High to sear after cooking to a medium rare. So far, so good. I throw those ribeye's down to sear, close the lid and walk off planning on coming back after about 5 minutes, figuring that would be great at about 425, which is traeger's highest temp.

After 5 minutes, I go out to check on them, lift the lid, and what's trailing that lid? Nothing but absolute chaos and flames - that's right - my grill dun caught on fire!

A quick freak out - as the grill is located on my back patio and the back door is open so all my guests are watching. I believe dhall1414 is laughing, my mom grabbed the baby and took off out the front door, wife is looking for a fire extinguisher and dad's geriatric *** has given up on life and is looking forward to be cremated for free.

I followed up with that by closing the lid and seeing that I could control the amount of flames. So, I decided hell if the **** grill is on fire this is the best possible sear I can get!!! They ended up being the best Ribeye's I had ever cooked.

Pics are the steaks that I made, but not my Traeger...but that's exactly what it looked like.
Turns out the best wood for cooking steaks is a shed. The trick is catching it on fire at just the right moment
Old 01-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #49
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Wife and I will be married 21 years in August. The first meal she decided to make me was broccoli chicken with a white sauce. I got home from work and she's got dinner going. I see that she has a printed out copy of a recipe. She tells me that she is making the sauce from scratch. Awesome! After a while it's ready and we sit down to eat. I noticed that it's a little sweet tasting but I didn't say anything. She starts saying that something doesn't taste right. I play it off cause it's the first meal she cooked me. We continue to eat and talk she mentions it again so I start asking her what was in it. Well she used whipped cream instead of whipping cream. Don't think she made it again but I ate allow it that day.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 09:38 PM   #50
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
A few years we invited a bunch a friends over for supper.
I decided to make Gumbolaya
Bought shrimp, Andouille(sp?) Sausage, crabmeat, Bell peppers, Onion's, Boudain, Spicy Boudain, Rice, Barley, corn & ??. Bought a big ole stock pot to make it in. Bought some clear glass bowls so we couid see what we're eating. Got it all cooked and i seasoned it with some Red Pepper & Cayenne pepper. I knew my guest didn't like spicy. I tasted it. I didn't taste any spice so I added a bit more. I let it simmer for a while so the flavors could mix and there thing. When I served it was OMG SPICY.
We ended up ordering Pizza
Those ingredients minus the pepper do not belong together in one pot

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top