No announcement yet.

Let’s Restore a Shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I had a little time today between clients. I hit the metal parts with a little oil and steel wool. I made sure I used a very light touch and let the wool work on the rust without harming the finish. Everything cleaned up pretty nicely. The barrel has some areas where the bluing has gone and there’s some minor pitting, but overall I’m happy with how this part has turned out so far. My only regret is not taking before pictures of each piece.

Probably all that I’ll get to today. Plan is to strip the wood tomorrow evening. Stain and linseed Saturday. Then reassemble Sunday. If I could find a box of dang 16 gauge lead shot, it shoot it too, lol. I’ve got a couple feelers out for that so we’ll see what comes of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In, looking good so far

Comment

Looking good. Nice project.

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
          I understand this sentiment. If it was in great condition, it’s maybe a $200 shotgun. I’m removing the rust from the metal parts to preserve it, but have no intention of destroying the patina. As far as the stock, it didn’t show in pictures, but there’s multiple colors of paint on the stock. I’m going to strip it to bare wood and stain. I’m not going to sand the nicks or imperfections out of it. I want it to keep the character, but look like it had been cared for the last half century.

Ah, understood. Looking good so far

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

After you strip the stock, you may find you don’t need to stain it. Back in the day American walnut was cheap and plentiful, and very few guns had beech or birch stocks that had to be stained. Hopefully you’ll just turn up some pretty walnut although it won’t be fancy. You’ve made a good start !

Comment

Tagged!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  After you strip the stock, you may find you don’t need to stain it. Back in the day American walnut was cheap and plentiful, and very few guns had beech or birch stocks that had to be stained. Hopefully you’ll just turn up some pretty walnut although it won’t be fancy. You’ve made a good start !

That would be ideal. I’m prepared either way. We’ll know after stripping tomorrow.

Comment

Looks great!

I think that wood will be good without any stain - just some Tru oil and it should look nice.

Restoring/refinishing guns is one of my hobbies and I always use CitriStrip and Scotch Brite pad to remove the old finish followed by light sanding.

Some cold blue on the spots with bare metal will make it look better and offer some protection.

Comment

Started stripping the finish this evening. This is the stripper I’m using.

Couple of before pics.

Applied the stripper and wrapped in Saran Wrap. I’ll check on it periodically this evening, but it may need to sit overnight.

Comment

Looking good, a very nice project, thanks for the detailed pics.

Comment

Looks great! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Well, this project is going to take longer than expected. This weather isn’t exactly ideal woodworking weather. I’m also using a very mild stripper. It took of a good initial layer off by this morning, but I can still see some of the paint on the stock and we are nowhere near bare wood yet. I reapplied stripper and we’ll check on it this afternoon.

Comment

Looking great

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                                Well, this project is going to take longer than expected. This weather isn’t exactly ideal woodworking weather. I’m also using a very mild stripper. It took of a good initial layer off by this morning, but I can still see some of the paint on the stock and we are nowhere near bare wood yet. I reapplied stripper and we’ll check on it this afternoon.

When it comes to restoration, slow is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X