Spring food plot, when to plant ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring food plot, when to plant ?

I’ll be getting My dads garden tilled up the next couple weeks and was going to till a couple acres for food plot. When do you plant the spring?

I work all of my ground up in late March and plant cow peas in early April.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      x2

Comment

Thanks I’ll give it a try

Comment

When the ground reaches 70degrees

Comment

I’m thinking about planting cow peas this year. Where do you get your seeds?

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
              Local feed store should be able to get them.

Comment

Livingston Farm and Feed.

Comment

Livingston Farm and Feed.
                  Thanks! I’ve used their food plot mixtures in the past. I’ll order some I&C seeds from them this year.

Comment

April 15th in Mills county is the normal for farmers planting summer crops.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      When the ground reaches 70degrees
                      I have two areas selected to be prepped when it gets to that temp!

Comment

Gumbo Man, what is your process to work the ground to prepare for planting? Do you plant with a grain drill or spreader?

Comment

Gumbo Man, what is your process to work the ground to prepare for planting? Do you plant with a grain drill or spreader?
                          Sorry for the slow response. I mow about 7 to 10 days prior to discing and I plant with a broadcaster. I plant 50 lbs per acre and come right over that with 13-13-13 at 100 lbs. per acre and then lightly disc or drag. I try to plant right before a rain and pray the hogs don’t find the seed before it sprouts. I plant oats and rye in the fall but I wait till it’s up a couple of inches and then fertilize.
                          Last edited by Gumbo Man; 03-10-2022, 07:34 PM.

Comment

When I move away from draught ridden west Texas.

Comment

Ordered my Iron and Clay seeds from Hancock Seeds today. Plan to mow the plots in late March and spray with glyphosate a week or two later. Then till and plant in mid April.

Comment

Working...
                              X