Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #101
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County

My doc broke the 45 year old news to me at my physical back in June. I was like “well aren’t you full of good news”. LOL

Thanks for the reminder. Life got busy and I never got it scheduled.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #102
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
It is a super cleanse, yes. I didn’t have a choice but I’d rather have the 6 ounces of liquid plus 10 ounces of water than the horse pills my buddy described. Mine and my wife’s was like chugging a small Gatorade/Pedialyte then drinking a 32glass of water over the next hour.
Thanks for the info. Is this the day prior and are you pretty much relegated to being close to the porcelain throne??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #103
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Prayers up for your brother and the Family Smart. It’s all about early detection as we all know.
Different but I had a rare intestinal cancer that they caught early a couple years ago and took care of it with surgery. My entire priority of life in general changed thanks to the Lord. Listen to your body folks and get your checkups.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #104
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

I know this is about colonoscopies which are very important (I have had 3), but also get your PSA (prostate specific antigen) level checked at least yearly and especially if if you are over 50. My PSA had slowly increased from the low 2 range to up over 4 over about a 3 year period. A prostate specific MRI and a biopsy in in April indicated that I have prostate cancer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #105
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Thanks for the info. Is this the day prior and are you pretty much relegated to being close to the porcelain throne??

Here's my post #62 that summarized it. My wife's was similar 3 months later. Yes you need to be at home near the throne. I did not spent all night on it like some folks claim they do in years past, but I did have to make several trips per bottle. My first batch finished around 11pm and I was able to get some sleep until round 2. Keep in mind round 2 starts around 4 hours before your actual procedure so your second bottle timing might be different.

Day before procedure clear liquids like broth.

Start prep at 6pm. Surprep 6 oz bottle #1 plus 10 oz water.Then drink 32 oz of water in the next hour after that. Took 1.5 hours to start. Did my thing until 11pm and was able to go to sleep until the next round at 4am.

4am - Bottle #2 of prep plus water about 4 hours before procedure. Did my thing until I had to leave at 7am for the procedure appointment at 8am. Had to go one more time before I got called back. Procedure was a breeze and was back home before lunch and took a nap. Ate Whataburger that evening….

Simple and easy …
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #106
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
Prayers up for your brother and the Family Smart. It’s all about early detection as we all know.
Different but I had a rare intestinal cancer that they caught early a couple years ago and took care of it with surgery. My entire priority of life in general changed thanks to the Lord. Listen to your body folks and get your checkups.

Thank you....glad to hear they caught your issue.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #107
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I took the clean out when having issues 4-5 months ago. No colonoscopy

Some of yall act like its the worst thing ever. Just be prepared to be near a toilet.

It's alot better then chemo I can tell you that
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #108
Czechoholic
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Thank you Smart for the PSA.

Colon cancer is highly heritable. If you have any relative that has had colon cancer, don't delay getting the colonoscopy
Czechoholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #109
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I keep checking in on this thread hoping Breezy will make another appearance. Figure him and Chew could add alot of entertainment value
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #110
SJP51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan, San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP51 View Post
I get it once a year. No biggie.
Update.....

It's time for my annual scope job. Doc says they now have purge kit wherein you take a pill, drink alot of water, and purge. 5-hours late repeat same.

Says it works even better than the gallon of bilge water they used to use.

Now there is no excuse. Swallow some pills and git 'er done.
SJP51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #111
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I keep checking in on this thread hoping Breezy will make another appearance. Figure him and Chew could add alot of entertainment value

With one of his hometown lifelong friends, my middle brother, being diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer Friday, his 1st cousin just coming off and surviving the same, and the motivation for this thread, I don't think he'd take it where you want it to go...

Last edited by Smart; 09-22-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #112
Jimbow
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason, Llano and Grayson

The pills were no big deal for me, I’ve been taking daily supplements so the size of the pill was nothing. If all you take is Tylenol, then they may seem big and you may find it easier with the liquid option. Either way the toilet experience is the “fun” part now.

But Smart is exactly right in that it is too easy of a procedure to avoid a possible life altering issue.

Jimbow
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #113
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Just had it done a few weeks ago. Nothing bad. See u in 10 years.

But do have divaticulosis of the lower colon I have to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stan R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #114
pse3
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Go get it done. I was 49 when I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. I promise you the colonoscopy is nothing compared to the chemo and radiation I dealt with for a year. Not to mention the colostomy bag and all the staples . Please get it done, it will save you and your a lot of grief
pse3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #115
glen
Pope & Young

Smart. You know he would have something humorous. Its horrible people ignore it or put it off. It isnt a big deal and painless. Just because its a serious matter doesn’t mean someone cant throw a one liner over the rail
Old 09-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #116
glen
Pope & Young

And this is one of those threads that needs to be brought back up to front page once a month. If it gets just one person in it is a good thing. Im on the 5 year plan but my wife is every other year because of history and results of hers a few months ago
Old 09-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #117
Hotrodd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Got mine earlier this year, all good here! Thanks for the PSA
Hotrodd is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #118
BigCohiba
Eight Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

Had my first last week. I’m 54 and know I should have done it sooner. Thankfully my pipes were clean…

The colonoscopy was no big deal. After they gave me the anesthesia I was immediately out - next thing I know I’m in recovery. Felt like I slept 20 hours. Prep was easy. Running to the can all day during the purge was a small price to pay for some peace of mind…
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #119
Bellavita
Nubbin' Buck

My husband is 57 and his mother passed away from colon cancer, so he gets checked every 5yrs to remove any polyps. I had my first at age 50 and all fine, no polyps. Our son was having stomach issues, so he had at colonoscopy at 23 and they removed 1 or 2 polyps, so he’ll have to have one every 5yrs now too. Easy procedure and suprep was a piece of cake. My husband makes us fresh strained chicken and vegetable broth to eat that day since it has to be clear - it’s delicious and filling!
Bellavita is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #120
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

Quote:
It is a super cleanse, yes. I didn’t have a choice but I’d rather have the 6 ounces of liquid plus 10 ounces of water than the horse pills my buddy described. Mine and my wife’s was like chugging a small Gatorade/Pedialyte then drinking a 32glass of water over the next hour.

Wife and I both had the endoscopy as well. Mine was separate and she had her’s done at the same time as the colonoscopy. Good reminder.
Just make sure they don't use the same tube
BayouCat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #121
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw
Default TBH PSA: Get your dang colonscopies done!

Had my first one done a couple months ago. I’m 47. Like Smart said, it’s not as bad as I thought. Worse part for me was listening to the idiots getting prepped in the adjacent rooms…
One asked for a “towelette, because she felt Moist…” No ?

Get it done if you’re due… it’s worth it. I came out good, but peace of mind is Everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #122
Smart
Pope & Young

Just a friendly reminder bump considering the news recently received. Yall go get em done if you are due PLEASE!!
Old 10-13-2021, 02:42 PM   #123
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

Yep, get it done. It's not a big deal, and in fact after that prep, you feel good - all cleaned out. My wife had hers done (first one) last year and sure enough, they found a precancerous polyp - note the "pre." It was removed and everything is fine. If she'd waited.......
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #124
Smart
Pope & Young

Just a quick reminder for my fellow TBHers. Jeremy is gone now because he caught it too late. Get your's done now please.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #125
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Just a quick reminder for my fellow TBHers. Jeremy is gone now because he caught it too late. Get your's done now please.
Can't say it often enough. Early detection is key. I put a colonoscopy off forever and finally had one because of an upcoming treatment for prostate cancer. Colonoscopy was clear then and yesterday got an all clear 6-month follow-up post treatments for prostate cancer.

If over 40 get your colonoscopy and include a PSA check in your annual physical. Mine was caught early in an increasing PSA level.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #126
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
I know this is about colonoscopies which are very important (I have had 3), but also get your PSA (prostate specific antigen) level checked at least yearly and especially if if you are over 50. My PSA had slowly increased from the low 2 range to up over 4 over about a 3 year period. A prostate specific MRI and a biopsy in in April indicated that I have prostate cancer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Two of my very best friends have had prostate cancer, one about 5/6 years ago and the other just a couple months ago. They’ve both had surgery and both have recovered with no signs of cancer, but it definitely will make you aware.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top