Prescribed burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescribed burns

I have seen the news around Bastrop but I ]had a totally different experience. I have been working our place to improve the habitat with hopes of attracting more birds. Obvious thing to do was to thin out the brush and understory an open the place up for birds to utilize it more. I had done several burns myself but wanted to start taking bigger bites. I have a cousin that is a biologist with TPWD and my MLD biologist who helped plan the burns. Long story short, we prepared all the fire lanes and they showed up with 8 folks and a bunch of kit. Burns went off without a hitch and I am very happy with the results. Really appreciate the TPWD crew and the knowledge they brought to the table. If you are inexperienced or just want to learn more about prescribed burns, I would definitely look into this resource.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CFA48A9-4924-4284-A95F-81A03746D170.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	25272148

Name:	C8A0AD5E-E4AC-4FF7-B473-10D7717F51BA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	25272149

Name:	99EA8DE6-799A-4B13-B188-A69CD1876452.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	25272150

We did the same several years ago. They definitely have it down to a science.

Comment

They are the way to go, but if you do them long enough something will sooner or later go awry…. As we just witnessed in Bastrop. I used to do them all the time in my place in east tx. Always without a hitch. And then there was that one time… thank God we lit a small block and thankfully we had very good fire breaks…. Because that stuff just took off and it got up into the pines. It was a full on pucker moment…. And the conditions were perfect for burning. To this day I have no idea why the fire reacted the way I did. I have done very little since then.

Comment

I'd love to have that done on my lease but I think they would consider that arson. That's a great resource to have available for private landowners for certain. Great habitat solution.

Comment

There a great TOOL..just gota be handled by people who know(what the hell there doin)

Comment

Sure need this done to my place, too much undergrowth, briars and dead stuff laying around. I think my problem would be getting the fire breaks done. At least I have a deep creek separating part of it.

Comment

I definitely need this at my property. Whats the process to plan the burn and get the ball rolling and what are the costs?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                I definitely need this at my property. Whats the process to plan the burn and get the ball rolling and what are the costs?

Most counties have a person to contact for info. I just went to a class in Gillespie County through the AgriLife Extension. Lots of good info on burning. I have had a close call or two just burning some small piles of cedar. If I remember a quote, there is no such thing as a controlled burn. Makes sense to me. I would love to do mine but I don't think my nerves could take it.

Comment

Fire is a wonderful management tool. Sadly, very misunderstood by the public. Incidents like the bastrop fire only "fuel" the public mistrust. Very unfortunate.

Comment

I contacted my local TPWD biologist (call the regional office and they will get you connected), she came out and gave me a few ideas on what would work, fire lane placement , etc . We put in the fire lanes with a tractor and a disc. We scheduled the burn with TPWD. They want you to have as much help as you would need to do it yourself. The day of the burn they brought out a lot of help, they ran the burns, and we learned a lot.

Started with contracting the biologist.

Comment

Comment

Interesting to read this, last year we got with our Texas Parks and wildlife biologist, to discuss a prescribed burn on our place in freestone county, would like to burn about 350 acres in total he told us Texas Parks and wildlife would not do it anymore due to the liability of the fire getting away from them. He referred us to USDA, Ended up talking to the soil conservation office and the NRCS office, long story short no one would help us, due to liability of the fire getting away. Our place would be about it safe to burn has any one I ever ever seen, it’s bordered on two sides by the trinity river and third side by a large Creek.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                          Interesting to read this, last year we got with our Texas Parks and wildlife biologist, to discuss a prescribed burn on our place in freestone county, would like to burn about 350 acres in total he told us Texas Parks and wildlife would not do it anymore due to the liability of the fire getting away from them. He referred us to USDA, Ended up talking to the soil conservation office and the NRCS office, long story short no one would help us, due to liability of the fire getting away. Our place would be about it safe to burn has any one I ever ever seen, it’s bordered on two sides by the trinity river and third side by a large Creek.

Interesting, I called our local NRCS guy and he basically talked my plan through with me and said go for it. I wasn’t seeking their help, though, so that may be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got this from the Longleaf Alliance this morning.
                            [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPceITIc8Q"]Getting Started with Prescribed Fire on Private Lands - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Just got this from the Longleaf Alliance this morning.
                              [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPceITIc8Q"]Getting Started with Prescribed Fire on Private Lands - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X