Home Generator Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Generator Placement

I am having a whole home generator with a transfer switch installed soon and we are deciding on placement.

My electric meter and gas connection are on opposite sides of the house. For the guys with generators and the electric/gas connection on opposite sides of the house, where did you install yours? Close to the electric meter or close to the gas connection?

I appreciate the feedback.

My utilities were close together. I would install it close to the electric service. It is probably cheaper and easier to run 1 gas line as opposed to all of the wires needed.

Comment

Personally, I would have mine closer to the breaker box. I have electric feed and propane on the same side of my house though.

Comment

Agreed. Distance doesn't affect gas as it affects electricity. I'm sure it's cheaper to run the gas line.

Comment

I believe it’s cheaper to run electric lines than it is to run a gas line.

We looked into doing this and had the same issue.

Comment

I had mine mounted where the exhaust pipe is pointed at my one crappy neighbor's house...

Comment

You can actually get a second gas line and run it right up to generator

You can run a branch and do elevated pressure from the existing line. But it will be super expensive and depending on length you may need to upsize line etc

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                My utilities were close together. I would install it close to the electric service. It is probably cheaper and easier to run 1 gas line as opposed to all of the wires needed.

This is in-line with what I am being told, just wanted to get a few different opinion from guys in the same situation. I appreciate it.

Comment

Whoever gives you a quote on the generator install should be able to quote you the added expense on wire footage should you choose to look at moving it closer to the gas meter. The power and control wires are actually all in one cable. Then get the plumber to quote you. Our plumber has a set price within 10 ft of the generator then it climbs from there. Several times we have found it cheaper to move the generator closer to the gas meter. You still have your transfer switch close to your electric meter.

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                    This. Mine sits just outside the garage opposite the breaker panel inside. I live in the country so I have to use propane. I had to run the gas line 75 feet or so, but that doesn’t compare cost wise to the electrical line you’d have to run.

Comment

Just something that might help you decide. Generac’s wire is around 4.50 a foot.

Comment

Mine was a new build so I have the generator next to my electrical panel and C3 meter. I live rural so I ran my C3 line about 100 feet due to my choice of my tank placement.
                        Last edited by tps7742; 01-17-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          This. Mine sits just outside the garage opposite the breaker panel inside. I live in the country so I have to use propane. I had to run the gas line 75 feet or so, but that doesn’t compare cost wise to the electrical line you’d have to run.
                          Good to know. This sounds like the set up we are leaning towards and similar to my layout. It would be about 75 feet of gas line, if not a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
                            Good to know. This sounds like the set up we are leaning towards and similar to my layout. It would be about 75 feet of gas line, if not a little more.
                            I did the same thing. I extended our propane line about 70' to power our backup generator. I rented a trencher for that and some other trenching that I needed done. Our propane guy installed the line, low pressure regulator and leaked tested the new installation. I backfilled the trench. The line extension cost about $350. I saved some money doing the trenching myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We are in the same situation and ended up putting it about halfway between the 2. They did say anymore than 50-60 feet away from the gas meter would require an upgraded meter with higher output. Luckily for us we did not have that issue

Comment

Working...
                              X