No announcement yet.

Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 4 started Jan 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job! I also use a tire for a trigger as it eliminates coobs and deer. Ibe tip, drive a pipe inside the tire opposite the trigger so hogs can root it around in a circle. When you set the trap, any rooting of the tire trios it.

Comment

Actually, Steve, I put 2 rods next to the tire between the pull rope to force them to push the tire away from the pin and pull it out. A pipe in the middle doesn't seem to matter, but maybe it does?

Comment

The cool thing about DIY traps is almost everyones is different. Especially the triggers. Most of the time I see a DIY trigger mechanism and I say "****, why didnt I think of that"

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        I’m praying that all mine will hitch hike to wherever you are………then we’ll both be happy !
        be sure to send yours to my place for some travelin buddies

Comment

Send them all on a bus tour! I'm open for business!

unfortunately, I don't have anything on camera since Wednesday...

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            Actually, Steve, I put 2 rods next to the tire between the pull rope to force them to push the tire away from the pin and pull it out. A pipe in the middle doesn't seem to matter, but maybe it does?
            I didn't see the pipes in the pics. No,vou don't want it in the middle. You want it opposite the trigger but inside the tire. Sounds like you are doing basically the. same.

I also have a little 2.99 tractor supply pulley on the t post ahead of the pin so it always pulls straight on the pin regardless of which way he pushes the tire.
            Last edited by GarGuy; 01-14-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Picture please

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              I didn't see the pipes in the pics. No,vou don't want it in the middle. You want it opposite the trigger but inside the tire. Sounds like you are doing basically the. same.

I also have a little 2.99 tractor supply pulley on the t post ahead of the pin so it always pulls straight on the pin regardless of which way he pushes the tire.
              Love seeing all the different type of traps and triggers. Please post pic of yours. Great threads!

Comment

Gettem all girl!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

If you want something a little more manageable than steel cable, you could buy some amsteel. Same rope that is used in winches. Will solve the flex issue while still being much stronger and easy to tie off

Comment

Dangit Dusty. Now you got my wheels turning.
                    Have most all materials needed. Gotta find some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                      Dangit Dusty. Now you got my wheels turning.
                      Have most all materials needed. Gotta find some time.
                      The size needs to be big enough to allow the pigs to roam. This big boar was grazing in the middle of the pen when I drove up. I cut off the tractor because he started running. When he couldn't see me I stood beside a tall post and waited. He calmed down and actually came back to the middle then trotted to the end of the pen. He looked around nervously but not totally freaked out. I could almost see him thinking, "where did that person go?" One shot with the 243 and down he went. I normally use a 223 but I knew this was a good sized hog.

And GarGuy - please post a picture. I'm having trouble visualizing this.

Comment

How about a little excitement? It's been 5 days since I've seen or heard any pigs. I was beginning to think they are scared. I wonder why? Then I see this.

Piggies go in....

Comment

I love this thread

Comment

They made it to the tire trigger but the deer had already eaten all of the corn, so there was nothing to root out.

And then piggies leave...

So yesterday I went back and refreshed the trigger, raised the gate about 4 more inches, too. Last night I heard a bunch of squeals and with the excitement of a 5 year old the night before Christmas, I refreshed my cameras every 10 minutes, just knowing I was going to catch them!

But alas, the pigs and the deer decided not to return to the trap last night. Maybe with this cold front, they will.

Comment

Fingers crossed

Comment

Have you kept count of the total number of pigs you’ve caught in this trap?

Comment

Working...
                                X