X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-5

Comment

About 4.

But the rings on his ears and the dark hocks say 5-6.

Comment

Nice buck, no matter the age!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Nice buck, no matter the age!
          That was my point. Dang nice regardless of teeth.
          Last edited by GarGuy; 01-13-2022, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Tooth wear means absolutely nothing in east Texas. We kill 6 year old deer that we know for a fact are 6 and the teeth look like that. Congratulations on hell of a deer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Book says 3, deer probably older

Comment

"age the teeth"... by that question in your original post, he's a classic 3 1/2 year old... but like some have said may or may not be accurate... Only 2 age deer can absolutely be aged 100%... Fawn and 1 1/2 year old... Fawns only have 5 teeth, and a yearling has a 3-cusped 4th tooth... all other age classes are judged by wear... All deer do not eat the same food/chew the same way, etc... many variables. However teeth aging a specific herd is still a good management tool especially if you can kill known aged deer and extract their jawbones as a model for YOUR herd. One area/herd will be pretty consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  Tooth wear means absolutely nothing in east Texas. We kill 6 year old deer that we know for a fact are 6 and the teeth look like that. Congratulations on hell of a deer.

I think this what I an dealing with.

A deer that browses for its life versus months on end of grinding corn will wear a bit different…

We are really trying to shoot some older deer in the 6.5 and up age bracket.

What we are finding is that ET deer in that age are huge monsters…and does that age are impossible to kill lol

Comment

Most all the deer we kill are 6 plus and tooth wear is a joke to me. We have to pull jaw bones from every deer and they vary so much. It's hard to go by body size too. We have 225 lb. deer that are 6 and 160 lb. deer that are 6. The best way is to know your deer from one deer to the next and keep a folder on them.

Comment

I always go by the ear tags to know for certain

Comment

I used to do some deer aging for MD's Wildlife Administration MANY YEARS back(I'm NOT a biologist) and still have friends that swing by and do same for the state,. They age fawn, 1-1/2, older than 1-1/2 for their purposes. Fawn and 1-1/2 are almost 100% after that it's an educated guess depending on jaw/teeth alignment and other factors. Book would say 3-1/2 on yours like already said but diet and soil type do make a difference. Send in front incisor if you still have it for a better guess and yes they also can be off a year or two as I've witnessed from trailcam pics of same deer for multiple years but more accurate than web experts LOL
                        Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 01-13-2022, 10:33 AM. Reason: fix

Comment

Don't beat yourself up over it. Most likely your field guess is more accurate than the teeth. Going by the out-dated, inaccurate, bogus teeth aging book/chart...most will say that deer was 3 or 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            Most all the deer we kill are 6 plus and tooth wear is a joke to me. We have to pull jaw bones from every deer and they vary so much. It's hard to go by body size too. We have 225 lb. deer that are 6 and 160 lb. deer that are 6. The best way is to know your deer from one deer to the next and keep a folder on them.

Virtually every year, I post examples of this.

Comment

I have given Top Of Texas a lot of grief over this topic. Truth is I respect him and understand where he is coming from. In recent years, he has taken the stance that noone should beat themselves or others up over a dead deers teeth. He is right on that.

He has also stated that a deer has not reached maximum antler growth unless he has at least one dished molar. I think that's right as well, however that can easily be at 9 or 10 years old in East Tx.

Comment

He's as old has he's gonna get. Congrats on a great deer!

Comment

Working...
                                X