Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape Lens Question

Happy New Year!
    The wife blessed me with a new Canon R6 for Christmas. I had a question about a landscape lens though
    I have always primarily shot with zoom lenses for the wildlife. (Considering the 100-500 lens for zoom) However, what is your go to lens with a mirrorless camera for landscape. I want to shoot more landscape at these national and state parks. I have the old 24-70 with my old camera but not sure that is what I really want for the new camera. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas that you may have.
    Thanks in advance.

Which 24-70 do you have? I find that most of my landscape stuff is shot in that range.

I did just pick up the RF 15-35mm f2.8 as a "do-it-all" wide angle and astrophotography lens, and so far it's pretty awesome. I'd recommend it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
      Which 24-70 do you have? I find that most of my landscape stuff is shot in that range.

I did just pick up the RF 15-35mm f2.8 as a "do-it-all" wide angle and astrophotography lens, and so far it's pretty awesome. I'd recommend it for sure.
      Just rented a 15-35 to try some nightscape stuff. Really liked the results!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

The 28-70 f2 would definately be my pic. Great for Astrophotography as well as landscape and porttrait.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post

It is the 24-70 f/2.8. Love the lens but thinking it would be good to get a little wider. I am also a Realtor and thought the 15-35 would be good for that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
            It is the 24-70 f/2.8. Love the lens but thinking it would be good to get a little wider. I am also a Realtor and thought the 15-35 would be good for that as well.
            While we don't shoot Canon in our house, my wife is also a realtor. I bought her a Sony 16-35, f4 for using in the homes she lists and it has worked for that purpose very well. I find when she lets me borrow it out in the outdoors, I shoot at 16 to 24mm and most of the time unless it is out on water shooting a sunrise or sunset, it's 24. A new lens is always good.

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
              I have a buddy who does real estate photography and shoots with that 15-35 almost entirely for that. Another slightly cheaper option would be canons new 14-35mm f4. If you don't need the f2.8 that would be a pretty sweet option that is super wide and lighter.

Comment

Most of my landscape is done with the 24-70 as well. I went back and looked at my last trip to Colorado and I shot more landscape with the 24-70 and 100-500 than the 15-35. Though, the 15-35 is nice to have. It's a great lens for Astrophotography.

You can't go wrong with either lens. If you're not shooting a lot of astro I'd probably lean towards the 14-35 f4 that Tyler mentioned if you want to go wide and save a few hundred dollars, otherwise I'd recommend the 24-70.

And, since you mentioned the 100-500, just get it. Fantastic lens!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate your time and thoughts

Comment

I have the 16-35 EF (2 versions) and the 24-70 f2.8 EF. I tend to use the 24-70 most of the time for landscapes.

I have the 70-200 f2.8 RF and 100-500 RF. Love both of those. However, the price tag on the RF glass keeps me happy with the EF versions mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      I have the 16-35 EF (2 versions) and the 24-70 f2.8 EF. I tend to use the 24-70 most of the time for landscapes.

I have the 70-200 f2.8 RF and 100-500 RF. Love both of those. However, the price tag on the RF glass keeps me happy with the EF versions mentioned above.
                      Awesome!!! Thanks so much for your input

Comment

Last month I completely changed ecosystems after shooting Nikon for 40+ years.
                        I bought the Canon R5 along with the RF 24-105 and RF 100-500.

My experience thus far is that the 24-105 is just fine for landscapes. I had a 16-35 when I was shooting Nikon but unless you are doing very large landscape scenes, I was rarely down in the 16 mm range.

My thought process at this point is that the two lenses I purchased will cover 95% of what I shoot on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a 20mm at f/1.8. Based on what you are saying, I think you would benefit more from the low light ability than getting wider or having the ability to zoom. You also can do more with depth of field using a f/1.8 than 2.8 or 4. If you find yourself in motion when shooting, boat, train, whatever, a fast lens is hard to beat as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X