No announcement yet.

Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great. I have a dumb question since I'm a rancher. In the last picture the wire is on the outside. If you put it on the inside would that be less clean up and help extend the life of the wood? Like said just a dumb question.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      Looks great. I have a dumb question since I'm a rancher. In the last picture the wire is on the outside. If you put it on the inside would that be less clean up and help extend the life of the wood? Like said just a dumb question.
      It would be better but just a pain to install. I plan on having a PVC feeder on one side and a automatic water on the other side so they really won't be able to get to that wood. Front and back will probably get messy

Comment

Looking good .

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          It would be better but just a pain to install. I plan on having a PVC feeder on one side and a automatic water on the other side so they really won't be able to get to that wood. Front and back will probably get messy
          You're right. That would be a pain to install that way. I'm still following and enjoying. Can't wait till your birds hatch.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            You're right. That would be a pain to install that way. I'm still following and enjoying. Can't wait till your birds hatch.
            Thanks. Got about 4 days until we put them in lockdown and crank up humidity. About 7 or 8 days total until they start hatching (hopefully). We've had some pretty wide swings in our humidity level and I'm hoping that didn't harm the eggs
            Last edited by Chew; 01-02-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Thanks. Got about 4 days until we put them in lockdown and crank after humidity. About 7 or 8 days total until they start hatching (hopefully). We've had some pretty wide swings in our humidity level and I'm hoping that didn't harm the eggs
              You should be fine. Crank it up to about 55% right now and keep it there throughout the hatch.

Comment

I did not know this was a thing. My dad loves quail and I may have to do something like this for him.

Comment

Another thought Chew. Unless you have different liner than mine, the middle channel is the only one you will need water in.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Another thought Chew. Unless you have different liner than mine, the middle channel is the only one you will need water in.
                    Thanks. Ours has four channels for water and we're only using one. The instruction sheet that came with the eggs said 35 to 45% until lockdown and then 65-70%. Does that sound right?

Comment

I'm in San Antonio (high humidity) and I incubate dry and for lock down I try to get 55 to 65%. Too much humidity and the chicks come out sticky. Winter incubation probably needs humidity help during incubation but I've never had any eggs in the winter.

Comment

I'm in San Antonio (high humidity) and I incubate dry and for lock down I try to get 55 to 65%. Too much humidity and the chicks come out sticky. Winter incubation probably needs humidity help during incubation but I've never had any eggs in the winter.
                        Good info. Thanks.

Comment

Day 15...lockdown day. Eggs we're removed from the racks. Racks taken out of the incubator. We couldn't find a proper light to candle the eggs to check for viability so we just laid them all in the bottom of the incubator. Cranked up the humidity. I had to leave for work but we were shooting for 75% or higher.

Wife will be adding water throughout the day to try to get it high enough. It appears that one of our eggs slipped out of the cradle slash rack and cracked open earlier in the process. So we got 59 left.

Some of the eggs "just didn't feel right" according to the wife so I'm guessing we have several more that won't hatch.

Comment

I have no luck candleing those eggs with the light I have. Also shoot for 55 to 65 humidity. 75 is too high and chicks will probably be sticky. I've never had more than about 50% hatch on shipped eggs.

Comment

I have no luck candleing those eggs with the light I have. Also shoot for 55 to 65 humidity. 75 is too high and chicks will probably be sticky.
                              It doesn't look like the ovabator is going to get that high and stay there anyway....so probably for the best.

Comment

You posted while I edited. I've always only got about 50% hatch on shipped eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                X