Cleaning thermocouple on furnace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning thermocouple on furnace.

My furnace is blowing cold air and the thermocouple is dirty. All I have is P80 grit sandpaper. Shouldn't hurt to clean it off with that should it as long as I don't overdo it? I gotta get this thing runnin right before tonight. It's gonna get colder than a well diggers *** later and I ain't gonna battle the cold tonight if I don't have to.

Steel wool would work better. 80 is kind of course.

it's usually just soot. You could try a q-tip with alcohol.

Comment

Sure you can clean it the working mechanicals are inside. Unless there is a newer technology there is a bi-metal switch inside. Cleaning the outside probably won't work.
      Last edited by Walker; 12-31-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I thought I had some steel wool but I don't guess I do. I'll see if I can find some alcohol.

The last time this happened I had a buddy come check it out and he ran some steel wool over it and put it back in there and it worked. He said I should clean it every so often.

Comment

[QUOTE=Walker;16019893]Sure you can clean it the working mechanicals are inside. Unless there is a newer technology there is a bi-metal switch inside. Cleaning the outside probably won't work.[/QUOTE

Agree. Following Only way cleaning would be effective would be a few degrees. Even grounded thermocouples are grounded inside.

A thermocouple is a sensor that measures temperature. It consists of two different types of metals, joined together at one end. Learn more this guide.

Good luck OP and let us know what you find.

Comment

Steel wool is the way to go, and it can definitely help, especially with propane. If it’s not sooted up, it likely won’t help though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Sure you can clean it the working mechanicals are inside. Unless there is a newer technology there is a bi-metal switch inside. Cleaning the outside probably won't work.

It’s not really a switch. A bi-metal thermocouple is just one type of metal inside another type of metal. It makes milivolts of electricity when heated, that hold open a valve after you’ve manually opened the valve,(via pushing in the button) via a small magnet. There are no moving parts inside a thermocouple, and they work better, the hotter they get.

Comment

HTML Code:
                ¡
                Originally posted by Walker View Post
                This, normally cleaning a thermal couple doesn’t work, now cleaning a flame sensor normally does. You can get a new thermal couple at Home Depot or Lowe’s for around 8-9 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  It’s not really a switch. A bi-metal thermocouple is just one type of metal inside another type of metal. It makes milivolts of electricity when heated, that hold open a valve after you’ve manually opened the valve,(via pushing in the button) via a small magnet. There are no moving parts inside a thermocouple, and they work better, the hotter they get.

A thermocouple has two wires of dissimilar metals welded together at the hot junction. A dirty probe would only change the temp a few degrees.

OP - Is that the problem or no heat at all ( like probe not reading)?

PS - how does propane produce soot? The A/F would have to be way off.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    HTML Code:
                    ¡
                    This, normally cleaning a thermal couple doesn’t work, now cleaning a flame sensor normally does. You can get a new thermal couple at Home Depot or Lowe’s for around 8-9 bucks.
                    Your trusted Experts in heating, cooling and other comfort equipment in Memphis. Contact Service Experts Memphis to schedule service today.

Comment

Learn about what a dirty flame sensor is, what you can do with it and how cleaning it can result in your furnace working just like a new piece of equipment.

Sorry to highjack your thread, I just couldn't get my head around cleaning a thermocouple.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        HTML Code:
                        ¡
                        I had it mixed up with the thermocouple. But you're right. It was the flame sensor he cleaned last time. That's been so long ago I was thinkin it was the thermocouple. I had no choice but to go over the sensor with that sandpaper I had pretty lightly and put it back in. But the good news is that it works just fine now. May have scratched it up some with that sandpaper but it got it cleaned.

Sorry. I was confused about what I was supposed to clean. Had my terminology mixed up.

I've had so many dadgum problems with this furnace it's hard to keep everything straight. The thermocouple has given me problems a few times so that's probably why I was thinkin that instead of the flame sensor.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 12-31-2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          I had it mixed up with the thermocouple. But you're right. It was the flame sensor he cleaned last time. That's been so long ago I was thinkin it was the thermocouple. I had no choice but to go over the sensor with that sandpaper I had pretty lightly and put it back in. But the good news is that it works just fine now. May have scratched it up some with that sandpaper but it got it cleaned.

Sorry. I was confused about what I was supposed to clean. Had my terminology mixed up.

I've had so many dadgum problems with this furnace it's hard to keep everything straight. The thermocouple has given me problems a few times so that's probably why I was thinkin that instead of the flame sensor.
                          Good news. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                            A thermocouple has two wires of dissimilar metals welded together at the hot junction. A dirty probe would only change the temp a few degrees.

OP - Is that the problem or no heat at all ( like probe not reading)?

PS - how does propane produce soot? The A/F would have to be way off.

The A/F gets off when dust, bugs, etc, block the Venturi hole that draws in air. What the hell do I know, I’ve only worked on a couple thousand thermocouples.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              The A/F gets off when dust, bugs, etc, block the Venturi hole that draws in air. What the hell do I know, I’ve only worked on a couple thousand thermocouples.

That's good that you've done a lot of it cause I may need more help with this thing in the future. Thank the Lord I got it working again. The temperature right now is 6 degrees. Plenty cold enough for me.

The temperature tonight is supposed to be....well.....0. So in the words of Ron White "There's not one." I drove past a cow dusted in snow today and I was sure glad I had the heater blowing on me. That old gal looked miserably cold.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 01-01-2022, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X