Timed Protein Feed Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2 most affective methods I have seen are:
    1) Feeding only protein no corn in regular broadcast feeders at the normal times a little before sunrise and a little before sunset with timers running 8-10 sec. Doing this starting late summer as things are hot and dry up and there is a deficiency in the natural vegetation. Then run it that way through season until first spring flush of green then stop. (4000ac)

2) Running the regular broadcast feeders year round with corn during season and mixed 50/50 corn and protein outside of season. Timers 8-10sec twice in the morning and twice in the evening. Having cotton seed out year round in pens and free choice protein after season through the summer. (2000 ac)

Between these 2 places and methods I would say there was/is not any statistical difference in the health, body condition, and BC size of the deer heard and buck. These place are 22 miles apart. One method was definitely more expensive than the other.

I personally run corn during season 8 sec once in the morning once in the evening and try to keep cotton seed out year round and some higher fat and protien content feed out right after season to boost body condition after rut and then again in the late summer. I also make sure there is plenty of water and mineral available during the off season. I think many people don't consider mineral and water this is also very important.

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
      What protein feeder are you using?

We have a number of Krivoman’s feeders with the Hammer timed feeding tube. Right now, we changed the timed protein feeders to open at 6:30am and to close at 5:30pm so they can eat as much as they want during the daytime. After the new year, we will open them to free choice and allow the deer to start eating more protein and eating cottonseed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X