• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    That's a great idea! Let me get on that. [emoji51][emoji51]
    Agree! Best of luck Chew.

Comment

Good info on homemade feeder. I'll probably have something like that. Just got one of the little red plastic ones for the brooder for now. Has the holes in it.

Quail are just hanging out today....rocking and Rollin.
      Last edited by Chew; 12-26-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

My son has hatched a couple of batches. The last batch I just told them to mix in a couple of eggs from every breed they sell so we could just be surprised. That was fun for him but it made it hard to tell which ones were male with just the Cotournix it was easy to tell.

Comment

You're gonna need a brooder. Here is one of mine. Big tote from Walmart. I line with those shop paper towels. News paper is too slick and you'll get some chicks with spray legs. Got the heat bulb at tractor supply and use that shelving to be able to raise or lower the light for correct temperature. Point the light in one end of the bin at temp of 95 to 100. Chicks can get away from it if it's too hot.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yessir. Made a brooder last week. I cut the lid out and attached hardware cloth. Just need to figure out about suspending the light to the right height.

Wife help me slap some paint on the quail cage. Got everything ready just need to stretch some wire over the floors and then build out the door frames.

Comment

Following and enjoying the progress.

Comment

Always fun... we hatched some ornamental/special breeds and it was the weirdest thing... unlike coturnix, they were incredibly domestic (acted like a pet) as opposed to running away/being fairly shy. Then together they'd beat the crap out of eachother compared to the coturnix. Coturnix were shy but nice to each other atleast lol.

Comment

This is cool, I tied to hatch some when I was very young, with a cheap incubator I bought out of the field & stream catalog. They never hatched though. I do have a question, are those Colorado quail ? Looks as though you have have a marijuana pipe in there with them. Lol. What is that thing ?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    This is cool, I tied to hatch some when I was very young, with a cheap incubator I bought out of the field & stream catalog. They never hatched though. I do have a question, are those Colorado quail ? Looks as though you have have a marijuana pipe in there with them. Lol. What is that thing ?
                    You talking about in the first pic of the incubator? That's just the incubator lid laying on the kitchen counter. There's a spoon holder there that you put spoons on to keep the counter clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                      Always fun... we hatched some ornamental/special breeds and it was the weirdest thing... unlike coturnix, they were incredibly domestic (acted like a pet) as opposed to running away/being fairly shy. Then together they'd beat the crap out of eachother compared to the coturnix. Coturnix were shy but nice to each other atleast lol.

Ever time I see the word "coturnix", I think "curtintex".

Poor Curt! I had to stop and reread this a couple of times to make sure I was reading it correctly. It's just my dyslexic mind.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        He is a very dedicated employee and brings his work home from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                          He is a very dedicated employee and brings his work home from time to time
                          Has to see what all the hype is about I am sure, but don’t waste it on the quail. Lol. If your using it on the quail you may want to get Doritos into the bird food industry. Should help with weight gain ( protein ) on those little birdies too.
                          Last edited by critter69; 12-26-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I would guess these are for eating, correct ? How long from the time they hatch until you kill them ? They live in those raised cages until then ? One reason I haven’t pursued hatching them now is I don’t have any where for a flight cage, but looks as though your raising these like ( non free range chickens lol) chickens.

Comment

I'm new at this but they are big enough to butcher at 6 to 8 weeks. So basically you butcher a bunch of males keep some females and a female so you can have fertilized eggs to put right back into the incubator and keep a steady supply of eggs and meat quail. My eggs are the jumbo so they will be a little bigger than the normal.

Comment

Galvanized poop trays from advance Auto parts fit nicely. [emoji2]

Comment

Working...
                                X