Construction/Contractor ? Post Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a 20 x 30 patio cover with 6x6 cedar posts that are concreted in place...post barn type construction I guess. Currently it's all pavers and we are wanting to remove all the pavers and concrete. I started moving some of the pavers and noticed the posts are starting to rot. What's the best route to do this right? Couple of guys I talked to to get quotes are saying just treat the rot with something and then pour the concrete in place and either j bolt or set plates next to the post and tie them in after the concrete cures. Does that seem reasonable? Will I not have issues with the rot later on?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

The best thing will be to get the bottom of that post out of the ground and above the finished surface / grade.

If it were me, I would shore up the beams above, remove the posts, access the rot and see if they are salvageable, pour a concrete footer, install a post base / knife plate of some kind and reinstall the post on the post base/knife plate.

You want the bottom of that post to be able to dry quickly once it gets wet, not buried like it has been to soak. Water doesn't rot the wood, bacteria the grows when its constantly moist does.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
      The best thing will be to get the bottom of that post out of the ground and above the finished surface / grade.

If it were me, I would shore up the beams above, remove the posts, access the rot and see if they are salvageable, pour a concrete footer, install a post base / knife plate of some kind and reinstall the post on the post base/knife plate.

You want the bottom of that post to be able to dry quickly once it gets wet, not buried like it has been to soak. Water doesn't rot the wood, bacteria the grows when its constantly moist does.

This is good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pull install treated..

Comment

Some more pics...not sure it would be possible to replace them?

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

That's definitely what I was thinking as far as getting the posts above grade...just not sure the best way to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by menglert View Post
              Some more pics...not sure it would be possible to replace them?

It is. You’ll have to put some temporary posts under that beam until you get it replaced. One on each side. I always use bottle jacks to take jack it up little to take the pressure off the post first. Then knock out the old post and put the new one in. Let jacks down slowly. Install corner brackets and you’re all set. [emoji1303]

Comment

Thanks! I'll get some guys out to take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                  It is. You’ll have to put some temporary posts under that beam until you get it replaced. One on each side. I always use bottle jacks to take jack it up little to take the pressure off the post first. Then knock out the old post and put the new one in. Let jacks down slowly. Install corner brackets and you’re all set. [emoji1303]

I'm convinced on the exterior posts but pretty sure there's no good way to support and remove the center post. Have you ever supported one in place and cut to remove the lower section, pour the footer then tie in?

Comment

Originally posted by menglert View Post
                    I'm convinced on the exterior posts but pretty sure there's no good way to support and remove the center post. Have you ever supported one in place and cut to remove the lower section, pour the footer then tie in?

Yes. It’s all the same. Just two supports on both sides jacked up just enough to take the old post out. I’m talking lifting millimeters just enough to get it out. Then pour your footer, reinstall, and secure it top and bottom. Sounds scary but it’s really not.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                      Yes. It’s all the same. Just two supports on both sides jacked up just enough to take the old post out. I’m talking lifting millimeters just enough to get it out. Then pour your footer, reinstall, and secure it top and bottom. Sounds scary but it’s really not.

Nice. Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                      X