No announcement yet.

Cast Nets... What to Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a nail in a wall. And hang it by the slip ring from the nail. The weight in the perimeter will keep it stretched straight when it drys. After it drys, mono can be folded. But I don't like to fold them more than once. And usually just leave them on the nail till I'm ready to use them again. Once nylon drys, it can be taken down and stored any way you want. As it's softer and limber. But, remember the trade offs between the two. If it's mono, don't leave it in the sun to dry for very long. Sun and mono dont' get along to well. I leave mine in my garage out of the UV light. UV is what kills a lot polymer, latex, and rubber products. True, there are some that are more resistant than others. But why leave it there if you don't have to?

I like that you picked a 4 footer. It is a good choice to start with. Once you master it, you can always move up to a 6. But try to find someone who has one. And use it a bit first.

Your yard is a good place to practice from before you go, to get the fundamentals of it. Just remember, if your wading, your yard is gonna be lower than the water level will be, unless your on a bank above it. I'd go to a very shallow shore line to start. As that will allow you to get it unsnagged without getting to wet, should it happen. Don't worry to much about catching bait on the first outing. Just focus on your technique and getting it to fully open. And aiming after you become consistent on the opening. Many times when working a bank, you can sometimes see the bait before throwing. Stalk the bank, and throw!
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-26-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

The ProKast Perfect Circle Net Thrower ensures a perfect circle throw every time. Order securely online today or give us a call at 512-619-5271.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        I have a nail in a wall. And hang it by the slip ring from the nail. The weight in the perimeter will keep it stretched straight when it drys. After it drys, mono can be folded. But I don't like to fold them more than once. And usually just leave them on the nail till I'm ready to use them again. Once nylon drys, it can be taken down and stored any way you want. As it's softer and limber. But, remember the trade offs between the two. If it's mono, don't leave it in the sun to dry for very long. Sun and mono dont' get along to well. I leave mine in my garage out of the UV light. UV is what kills a lot polymer, latex, and rubber products. True, there are some that are more resistant than others. But why leave it there if you don't have to?

I like that you picked a 4 footer. It is a good choice to start with. Once you master it, you can always move up to a 6. But try to find someone who has one. And use it a bit first.

Your yard is a good place to practice from before you go, to get the fundamentals of it. Just remember, if your wading, your yard is gonna be lower than the water level will be, unless your on a bank above it. I'd go to a very shallow shore line to start. As that will allow you to get it unsnagged without getting to wet, should it happen. Don't worry to much about catching bait on the first outing. Just focus on your technique and getting it to fully open. And aiming after you become consistent on the opening. Many times when working a bank, you can sometimes see the bait before throwing. Stalk the bank, and throw!

Thank you sir, appreciate the tips!

Comment

4ft is a waste of time.
          Been throwing em for 20 yrs, and 4ft is a waste of time.
          But you want a 4 ft, let me know.
          I've got several that people have left in the boat or at my house over the yrs.
          Work out an express, and I'll give you one.
          A 4ft is a great way to spend an afternoon "Trying" to catch bait.
          Get as big as you can handle, and learn to throw it so it opens at different diameters.
          As mentioned, they self destruct by themselves lmao!
          If you ever hit a bunch of little catfish, just throw it away.
          And oysters can cost you 2 or 3 nets in day.
          For the money, Betts is hard to beat.
          Black Pearl are hands down my favorite.(I'll never own another one, see above)

Comment

If you're not experienced throwing one start with a 4 foot net. Once you're proficient with that you can move up to bigger nets. Get one with real lead weights, that won't rust out from saltwater. My favorite is the Betts "old salt" series. They're weighted correctly and are a good one to start with. The cheap nets skimp on weights, well, because they're cheap.

Comment

ebay

been throwing them my whole life dang near. go on eBay buy u a 5 footer and maybe one of the 4 footers...6 ft is hard to learn especially a rookie...buy the cheapest ones. u gonna be learning. u prob gonna lose a couple as well or rip them to pieces...lol

Comment

Start with a cheap one. You'll tear it up. You won't cry nearly as much as you would with a good net. I like a little bigger net than a 4'er but buy what you think you can handle. Some of it depends on what you are using it for. If I was throwing off a boat in deep water I'd want as big as is legal and heavy. Most of the time I am throwing out of my boat but targeting little schools of finger mullet in shallower water and throwing distance, accuracy and speed are important, sink rate isn't as much.

The one I use the most is 6', 3/8" mesh with 99 weights on it from Cast Net King (850)838-0104.

Comment

don't buy an expensive net until u are efficient! or u are throwing 70$ onto a stump. lol

Comment

If you get a 4 foot net, go out in your yard (preferably with the grass cut short), and practice there. Once you get your throwing technique down, get down on your knees and throw from that position out into the yard. When throwing a net, your wrist should finish the throw.

I been chasin' bait with a cast net over 40 years and I prefer an 8 footer, but they aren't legal in Texas for some stupid reason... In Florida those guys mullet fish with 10-12 foot nets... Now it takes some technique and practice to throw those suckers!

With just a little practice with the proper technique, you will be able to throw a 7 foot net and make it open different diameters depending on the depth and open size of the water you're throwing it into from a pier or off the bow of your boat.

Two worst things in the world to catch in a standard 3/8" mesh net is a pod of little catfish or pencil minnows (or some call ghost minnows)... Watch out for both and try to stay away from them.

Comment

I will say the bigger the better. The more water you cover the better chances of catching bait but you have the weight as a trade off. I persuading care for 4’ nets they are just to light.

Comment

I used to own a 5' with a big ring in the top. Easiest throwing net ever.

I can throw an 8' here in Florida, but you don't want to be throwing it too many times

I think a 5' mono net is probably the best for an all around net.
                        Those non-lead weights are absolute crap.

Comment

You-Tube is your friend on how to throw one.

Comment

I throw a 7ft Mako. 3-4ft nets are made for kids and girls. I keep a 5ft in the boat for Riley and when the shad are running the banks.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              If you get a 4 foot net, go out in your yard (preferably with the grass cut short), and practice there. Once you get your throwing technique down, get down on your knees and throw from that position out into the yard. When throwing a net, your wrist should finish the throw.

I been chasin' bait with a cast net over 40 years and I prefer an 8 footer, but they aren't legal in Texas for some stupid reason... In Florida those guys mullet fish with 10-12 foot nets... Now it takes some technique and practice to throw those suckers!

With just a little practice with the proper technique, you will be able to throw a 7 foot net and make it open different diameters depending on the depth and open size of the water you're throwing it into from a pier or off the bow of your boat.

Two worst things in the world to catch in a standard 3/8" mesh net is a pod of little catfish or pencil minnows (or some call ghost minnows)... Watch out for both and try to stay away from them.

Don't forget gar!!!

Comment

Buy from Cabela's they will sell you an extended warranty.
                                Make sure you register your warranty

Comment

Working...
                                X