Does this seem right???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this seem right???

Ive recently really started to geek out on tuning and getting the most out of my setup without breaking the bank again

Heres what I'm shooting
    Halon 32
    70# 28"
    GT Kinetic Pierce 340
    100 Gr Muzzy Trocar
    Total arrow Wt 443Gr (Including inserts)
    13% FOC
    Kinetic Energy 69.1
    265 FPS

Is it just me or does that seem slow???
    I like my FOC but wish my kinetic energy could be atleast in the high 70, ideally in the 80s

Just for grins, I know you said 70# but how do you arrive at that conclusion? Is it a 70# peak weight bow and you just assume 70# because the limbs are bottomed out? Or was that measured true peak weight?

It’s hard to make big speed with 28” draw length and shorter with an average hunting setup but I would expect it to be a little quicker than 265. Not a ton, but a little faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

kinetic energy doesn't mean much to me anymore once I learned about momentum...that's where its at! figure up your momentum of the arrow and you will be surprised.

Comment

First a disclaimer: Getting the most out of your set up via tuning shouldn't focus on speed or kinetic energy, that is MY OPINION.

However, if speed is your thing then yes, you are about 15 FPS slow.

I plugged your specs in here:
        Archery Report
        This is a great tool and will let you know, pretty close, if your bow is hitting IBO or not.

First, you need to know if the bow ever hit IBO, Mathews is notorious for publishing high IBO numbers; so do a little research and get a good baseline before just plugging numbers into the calculator (like I did).

Second, measure everything! It looks like you did a good job on the arrow (I assume you weighed it anyway), but measure the draw length and the draw weight to be sure. Without knowing measured draw weight and length it is difficult to diagnose a problem.

lastly, it depends on what you are tuning for:
        Kinetic energy is really more of a performance number for the bow.
        Momentum a performance number for the arrow.
        Speed, or adjusted IBO, is more inline with how well the bow is set up and hitting spec IBO when weighed against other variables.

Physics is about compromise, you can't eat your cake and have it too...

Tuning for speed means lighter arrows, slightly higher KE and lower P; just the way it is I'm afraid.

Regardless, all are dependent on getting as much as you can out of the bow (efficiency) and keeping it mechanically sound as well as in spec.

You are on the right track, just keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          Just for grins, I know you said 70# but how do you arrive at that conclusion? Is it a 70# peak weight bow and you just assume 70# because the limbs are bottomed out? Or was that measured true peak weight?

It’s hard to make big speed with 28” draw length and shorter with an average hunting setup but I would expect it to be a little quicker than 265. Not a ton, but a little faster.

Its crazy how the solution is so obvious sometimes, I originally had the bow set up to 63#, adjusted it yesterday to 68# and here are my new specs

Halon 32
          Arrows: 443gr kinetic pierce including 20gr inserts and 100gr Trocar
          278FPS
          13% FOC
          68# at 28"
          Kinetic energy: 76 foot pounds
          Momentum:55 pounds per second

Still gotta paper tune again since I've upped the poundage but I might have to buy some 300 spine arrows, we will see though. I really do like the pierce arrows so I will most likely be sticking with them.

Comment

Will be getting a new string probably next month as well which im thinking will push me above the 280 FPS and force me to get the 300s. If physics in high school would have been this interesting to me I probably would have pain a lot more attention

Comment

Your arrows will be fine and should tune with what you have now. No reason to drop down to a 300 unless you are just trying to build mass.

Comment

Originally posted by texastrouthunte View Post
                Ive recently really started to geek out on tuning and getting the most out of my setup without breaking the bank again

Heres what I'm shooting
                Halon 32
                70# 28"
                GT Kinetic Pierce 340
                100 Gr Muzzy Trocar
                Total arrow Wt 443Gr (Including inserts)
                13% FOC
                Kinetic Energy 69.1
                265 FPS

Is it just me or does that seem slow???
                I like my FOC but wish my kinetic energy could be atleast in the high 70, ideally in the 80s
                If you want speed, shoot a lighter arrow. I shoot a 350 grain arrow at 280fps and my KE was about the same as yours.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                    Your arrows will be fine and should tune with what you have now. No reason to drop down to a 300 unless you are just trying to build mass.

I was able to paper tune them tonight, feeling a lot better now about my setup for Elk. Its a real confidence booster when you can see without a doubt that
                    your bow is on 100% and you aren't second guessing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X