Anyone here work with the DMV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here work with the DMV?

I'm having a title issue that seems crazy to me. I bought a motorcycle, good shape, clean blue title. Transferred the title in my name, and in a couple weeks received my title...clean blue title. Now I just sold the bike, and the new owner said the title was rejected. He asked why and they said the bike was under a rebuilt title from Oklahoma! What is up with that? I had a clean blue title for it issued BY the DMV. Now that he's doing a title transfer the DMV now has my original clean blue title.

What can I do to fix this issue?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crumrw; 10-19-2018, 12:12 PM.

I think you should be talking to the DMV not DPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, sorry. DMV is what I meant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Id go to the DMV with him and get it settled in person.

Comment

I don't think anyone "works" at the DMV.

Comment

Go down there with him and figure out what's going on.

Comment

Something does not sound right....is the buyer someone you know?

If not...is it possible they take your clean title then transfer VIN # to get $$ back from you and create a clean title on a stolen unit? I don't work in the industry, but I am with you. Seems very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                Something does not sound right....is the buyer someone you know?

If not...is it possible they take your clean title then transfer VIN # to get $$ back from you and create a clean title on a stolen unit? I don't work in the industry, but I am with you. Seems very odd.
                It's not someone I know. Apparently it was a note on the vin number in the system that never got picked up on my title or the one before me. The buyer went ahead and had it titled, but his will say "rebuilt" on it somewhere apparently. I gave the guy a couple hundred dollars back because I felt tore up about it. I sold it to him in good faith and had a clean title, but I know if I was in his shoes I'd be pretty PO'd. He seemed happy that it's all resolved, and appreciative for the offer of some money back. He never asked me for money or to return the bike, so I don't believe there was any foul play. Seemed like a great guy.

My feeling about the whole thing is that if the dmv made a mistake, not only once but twice, then they owe the guy a clean title. The whole point of showing rebuilt on the title is to protect future buyers by making them aware of a previous issue. By issuing clean titles after it was converted to a rebuilt title, the DMV is scamming those buyers and future buyers. The whole thing seems like it'll just get swept under the table on the DMV side, and the consumer just has to eat the loss of value.

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
                  It's not someone I know. Apparently it was a note on the vin number in the system that never got picked up on my title or the one before me. The buyer went ahead and had it titled, but his will say "rebuilt" on it somewhere apparently. I gave the guy a couple hundred dollars back because I felt tore up about it. I sold it to him in good faith and had a clean title, but I know if I was in his shoes I'd be pretty PO'd. He seemed happy that it's all resolved, and appreciative for the offer of some money back. He never asked me for money or to return the bike, so I don't believe there was any foul play. Seemed like a great guy.

My feeling about the whole thing is that if the dmv made a mistake, not only once but twice, then they owe the guy a clean title. The whole point of showing rebuilt on the title is to protect future buyers by making them aware of a previous issue. By issuing clean titles after it was converted to a rebuilt title, the DMV is scamming those buyers and future buyers. The whole thing seems like it'll just get swept under the table on the DMV side, and the consumer just has to eat the loss of value.
                  yeah...that don't smell right. The title application will go through a series of edits during the nightly batch processing. Sounds like someone changed something on the title during the day online... to cause it to kick out. They should be able to tell you exactly what caused it to kick out. DMV used to be part of TXDOT and they branched off.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    yeah...that don't smell right. The title application will go through a series of edits during the nightly batch processing. Sounds like someone changed something on the title during the day online... to cause it to kick out. They should be able to tell you exactly what caused it to kick out. DMV used to be part of TXDOT and they branched off.
                    I don't know. At this point, it is what it is. Just doesn't seem right that the DMV can take a perfectly good clean title and change it to a rebuilt title with only the excuse that "someone must have missed it in the system."

Comment

Interesting. Did you do a vin search? I would be interested to know what that shows. Sounds like it's done and prob not worth the money though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Well good. Glad it was not some new scam. I bet it just took that long for the OK imfo to post on an out of state search. You did right and the buyer is satisfied.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

that is one of three things.....

1. someone tried to 'wash' the title by making an out of state transfer before the notice of salvage title hit the prior state

2. there are duplicate VINs

3. it's a clerical issue.

I'm guessing that whoever sold it to you, or whoever sold it to them knows more than you do.

Comment

Working...
                          X