Generators - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generators - Questions

Looking to get a generator for the house for when power is out to run a few items. I was thinking about a HONDA, but I don't know crap about generators other than start them, plug in something and go to work. What do you guys think is one of the best on the market? How big should I get as far as wattage? Anybody got one they would like to part with? You know, just need some education on the subject and I figured no better place than TBH!

SAFE: Generac and Kohler both make good home generator packages with manual or automatic transfer switches.

Dangerous: You can back-feed your panel but you have to ensure your panel has a main and that it is off, before connecting the genset.

Comment

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post
      SAFE: Generac and Kohler both make good home generator packages with manual or automatic transfer switches.

Dangerous: You can back-feed your panel but you have to ensure your panel has a main and that it is off, before connecting the genset.
      Okay, so now I have about 20 more questions. Transfer switches? back feed my panel? ( i kind of get this one) Genset?

Comment

He is saying to have a professional wire your generator into your house.
        It can get expensive quick.

Comment

I have a 6500w & during the recent hurricane was able to run everything accept the AC...mini-split in the garage was gtg.

On the panel back feed, you need a cut off switch to avoid feeding the grid.

My mom was out for 4-5 days & is getting a generac home backup installed now.

Comment

Call me. I will talk you thru it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              Okay, so now I have about 20 more questions. Transfer switches? back feed my panel? ( i kind of get this one) Genset?
              Ask away sir.

Comment

What they are saying is you have to throw the main breaker before you plug the generator in. That keeps the electricity that you generate from charging the electric line coming to your house. That would be extremely dangerous to guys working on the line.

You will usually be using some form of extension cord with two male ends also. That creates a situation where you could easily get shocked if things are not done properly. First, throw the main breaker. Next plug into your wall outlet. Next, start your generator. Only then do you plug into the generator. Reverse this sequence when you’re done.
                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 10-16-2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post

This

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    Call me. I will talk you thru it

Call Flash. It will take a lot of typing or 10-15 minute phone call... In arlington, you aren't likely to be out that long, so I would go with a LP standby that is installed into your house by a pro.

Comment

Flash was great! I do understand much better now. . .

Comment

Generators - Questions

The transformer on a power pole works both ways- 10,000 V to 110and 110 to 10,000. If you forget to flip your main breaker off, it’s the lineman’s life at risk- not yours.

If somebody wants to electrocute themselves.... it’s their business. But not some guy out in *****ty weather with a family earning a living. Have a licensed electrician make the change and give you a plug on the wall for your generator.

Wattage of the generator determines how much electronics you can run from the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You asked about brands of generators. I have had a harbor freight 9000 watt generator for about 5 years with no problems. It will run 2 iceboxes,2 freezers limiter lights around the house, a TV and my 2 ton central a/c unit on the master bedroom side of the house. I’ve been very happy with its performance. It ran 8 days straight after hurricane Laura.
                          Last edited by T-roy66; 10-16-2020, 02:54 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            The transformer on a power pole works both ways- 10,000 V to 110and 110 to 10,000. If you forget to flip your main breaker off, it’s the lineman’s life at risk- not yours.

If somebody wants to electrocute themselves.... it’s their business. But not some guy out in *****ty weather with a family earning a living. Have a licensed electrician make the change and give you a plug on the wall for your generator.

Wattage of the generator determines how much electronics you can run from the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Exactly! Flipping the main is also only part of it. Still gotta pull the neutral as well

Comment

Scott what are your goals? How much stuff are you trying to keep powered up?

Comment

Working...
                              X