Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
    Ask this question:

Who here would lease their land, if they bought/inherited a ranch tomorrow?
    Great question
    I’m afraid that when all the 70 plus year old folks pass on leasing may come to an end all together. Buyers probably won’t lease and inheriters will be looking for buyers

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Not me. I own way more than I can hunt. I sell a couple of package hunts a year.
      You get the income but don't have to deal with lease hunters year round.
      And that’s the way most people are moving towards....you get the dollars/offset cost at a fraction of the hassle. In a nutshell, leasing hunting property is basically letting people use it during prime time for pennies on the dollar for cost of ownership. Most people I know use their leases pretty much like second homes during the year. It works out fine for some landowners and not so well for others. We leased our family place and it sucked, not being able to use it during the hunting season....what was the point of owning it at that point, other than to offset cost of a tangible investment at that point?

Anyone leasing property currently would 100% not lease it to season hunters if they became landowners tomorrow. That’s a fact

Comment

It's called capitalism. What America has always been until this year. Being a land owner I can see both sides of the argument.

Comment

There are reasonably priced leasing opportunities out there and they can be as family friendly as you want but you will have to compromise on a few things. First, is seeing deer on every hunt important to you or is the opportunity for a good buck worth many hunts without seeing anything? I know to keep kids interested they need to see deer and learn about why you choose to shoot or not shoot. Are amenities (camp house, electricity, water) important to you or is camping or using your camper with a generator OK? If the lessor of these is OK then hunting east Texas timber company land is very cost effective. Win the bid and lease your own place to hunt. There are many on here that refuse to hunt east Texas for various reasons- poachers/night hunters, theft, etc. I have three tracts leased right now, the longest for about 12 years. Two of then I have had no problems but one I have had some minor trespassing and theft issues. The things I have done to limit those problems is to post the property, with signs and purple paint, and become friendly with the game wardens. There have been some nice bucks killed on them over the years. Many of the tracts will only be a few hundred acres so you won't be able to accomplish much in the way a full blown management program but you can get a lot of satisfaction out of putting in food plots and managing what you shoot. And you don't have to worry about the land owner leasing it out from under you for more money or dying and the kids selling the land.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Lots of people aren't interested in raising kids anymore, that's what the TV and YouTube are for.

As for the lease prices going up, that's what happens with limited resources and growing population. I'm cheap, so my kids have been raised, for the most part, blasting critters on public lands. We love the different looks, the different chase, and camping all over the place when we can.

We really need to get together and have a cold beer. I’d love to pick your brain about the ins and outs of a few things. This boy of mine is probably going to “suffer” the same fate as yours in a few years when he gets old enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
              If you have the money you can kill huge deer, it’s been that way sense they started high fence, breeding programs and steroid injections. The places ( low and high fence) that hold consistently larger bucks cost more to hunt. And it seems there are a lot of people willing to pay really high prices to hunt. That is one of the good things here, is we have huge amounts, millions of acres of national forests and BLM land that is open to any one. Now finding that “ trophy” many times is not so easy though. But average bucks and does and any size buck or bull you run across or search out, don’t cost a thing more based on size. Outfitters are starting to lease a lot of the best( known large bull and buck places) private lands and are attracting a lot of people with money to spend. Now our problem with national forest and blm land is, Biden will probably sell all that land to China.
              Most has already been sold
              We’re fixing to have the kids running the household again

Comment

Priced me out of deer leases many moons ago, since then I’ve came across way more jack wagons than I care to think about, I had a lease manager come talk to me this year trying to tell me how to do my Predator control lines so they could go out and call at nights they were at the lease. Told the guy to talk to the rancher, maybe if the leasers got together and paid for what the rancher was losing in sheep they could work out a deal. I’m still trapping coyotes, they’re playing cards when not in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                  We really need to get together and have a cold beer. I’d love to pick your brain about the ins and outs of a few things. This boy of mine is probably going to “suffer” the same fate as yours in a few years when he gets old enough.

Hey I love beer!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    Hey I love beer!

Come slumming out in Bandera with us poor people and I’ll splurge on some Lone Star Lights.

Comment

If you think its expensive now, give it another 10 years.

Some how people will continue to spend it..... probably over extending themselves to do it....but far to many will

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        Ask this question:

Who here would lease their land, if they bought/inherited a ranch tomorrow?
                        I just bought my own place. I will not be leasing it out to anyone. I might sell a few exotic and trophy WT hunts each year to help cover some feed expenses but its for my friends and family only. It would cost a group of hunters 205/acre for me to break even on the place if I chose to lease it out as a turn key place.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                          Come slumming out in Bandera with us poor people and I’ll splurge on some Lone Star Lights.

Make it Reds and I'm like a moth to a flame!

Comment

$12K for the lease, $3K for feed, $70K truck, $15K utv, $6K rifle, $3K binoculars, $2K rangefinder, $3K cameras, $4K taxidermy, $9 whataburger

Not a problem for most but some can’t afford that and raise their kids too. Have to prioritize.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                              I have hunted on high dollar high fences places and spent more money than I ever should have. I actually quit hunting for a few years because it wasn't fun anymore. Next year I have a place that its just gonna be me and my boys hunting it. We are going old school. No camera's, no UTV's, no fiber glass blinds, no big cabins. heck in most spots we don't even have cell signal. I am gonna show them how we did it in the 70's-90's. We have an old jeep, a travel trailer and some lock on stands. I am actually excited about it again. It might be a bust but we ae gonna have fun.
                              This right here sounds glorious....ive never had it as good as u mentioned, but still believe id have just as great of a time going back to the basics and going in blind....

Comment

We don't hunt deer anymore. We cultivate and farm them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X