No announcement yet.

Why do you shoot custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always was in the boat of not being able to justify the cost of a custom rifle due to my factory gun killing everything it shot at. However, I finally bit the built and had APR build me one about 3-4 years ago. I can honestly say I don’t believe I will ever buy another factory rifle. For me, it was about putting together exactly what I wanted... from color scheme, to fit, to cartridge, accuracy, etc.

Comment

The Customs I have are because I wanted a gun in calibers that were or at least were not available in any factory offering at least at the time.

Some are just simple as change the barrel to a caliber not available or what many call semi custom rifles. A couple are custom fitted stock to me and the rifle fully fitted to me. Other customs are some others had built to their specifications that came up for sale and i really liked what ha been done.

Comment

Because I demand extreme accuracy and can’t get a production rifle with a truck axel for a barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
          I thought this was a good question. I started building custom guns around 2012. First was a accurate ordnance 6.5 creedmoor. I started building and shooting custom because I demanded the up most accuracy and I honestly beat the S#%T out of my guns. My guns are tools and they’re run hard. So I don’t wanna worry if I’m gunna break something or if POI has changed. I like to plug and play as we say. So why do you shoot custom guns?
          Cant fault a guy for building his own rifles. I have been doing the same for years now. Just another DIY under my belt. One day I would like to take a wood blank and make a stock from scratch. I have a few flat top Mc Millan's that I still need to inlet so I can start on a couple of rifles for my daughters. My youngest has taken interest in rifle building so I use the machining time to help teach her what goes into building an accurate rifle.

Here she is here running a mill on her 22-250 build.

In the end you can get the satisfaction of having exactly what you want and knowing your hands built it.

Comment

Because coyotes need love

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
              Because I demand extreme accuracy and can’t get a production rifle with a truck axel for a barrel.

LOL That's why I built this .243 on a 40X action, it's a 30" 1.25" 1:7.5 twist Krieger. It's getting to heavy though these days and I am thinking about cutting it down some.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                Done that on pigs but never a varmint...

Comment

Because I never had one. Now I got one. It’s a goodun too !

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    Lol you know what gets me going. Just did this to a doe this weekend off the 6 Johnny built. It’s good with 95gr Berger’s

Comment

I used to be in the "a rifle is a rifle boat" until I went custom. built to my specs and put together one at a time so attention to detail is awesome. I know have 3 and looking at a new one next year.

Comment

Been machining a good portion of my life and shooting a lot longer than that, figured I’d give the gubmint and SC-Texas some money and do it myself since I already had the equipment. Custom rifles are just plain better and more awesome.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had a couple that would group 3/8" and several that shot less than 3" ...All killed equally well in that 12" circle (heart lung)
                          Know your Gun limits and Know your limits and capabilities...and they all geterdone

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            LOL That's why I built this .243 on a 40X action, it's a 30" 1.25" 1:7.5 twist Krieger. It's getting to heavy though these days and I am thinking about cutting it down some.

I had a similar rifle build. 700 action, 1/7.5 Krieger 28” heavy varmint, tight neck 243 Win. It’s my 1000yd coyote rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to build them for the accuracy. Now there's factory rifles that can stack groups like a custom gun. Custom barrel length is a good excuse now. I'm having a 264WM being built and hope to have it before our doe blitz weekend in December. It will be my last custom........ I promise!

Comment

I have 3 custom/semi custom rifles. Accuracy, repeatability, knowing the smith/company stands behind it 110%, having it just the way i want it, different fluting patters and paint options.

I absolutely love the way my customs look. And i am 100% confident when i line up for a shot.
                                .plus i like having bad@$$ toys.

Comment

Working...
                                X