Anyone shooting a Mossberg Patriot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone shooting a Mossberg Patriot?

I am looking to buy a new rifle in 7mm-08. While in Academy today I saw the Mossberg Patriot and thought it was an interesting looking rifle, so I did some checking on the web and YouTube. Just wondered if anyone here has any good/bad experiences with them. I have never owned a Mossberg rifle.

I have a patriot in a 6.5 creedmoor. It is an absolute tack driver. I had one briefly in 25-06. It was a tack driver as well, but one of my buddies wanted it way worse than I did. The stocks are a little flimsy, but the guns shoot great.

Comment

A guy on my deer lease has one in .308. I’ve never held it but he seems to like it.

I’m about to buy a Savage Axis II XP hardwood in 7mm08. Academy has it for $425 with a $75 mail in rebate FYI. My local dealer can get it for a little less than Academy. Might be something you want to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got a 243 that is a good shooter.

Comment

All the reviews and youtube videos i watched on the Patriot show it to be inferior to other “budget” based rifles. I like the idea of the wood stock on it over the plastic stocks of the TC, Ruger, and Savage.

I will say this, of all the reviews i have looked at, the Ruger American and TC Compass show to have the most consistant accuracy. My plan is to buy the cheaper TC compass (has the 5R rifling) and drop it into a boyds or similar stock. Several videos have it shooting .5” to 1” groups at 100 with factory ammo.

Comment

I’ve looked at them but for around the same price I like the savage axis, Thompson compass and/or ruger american better.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
              I’ve got a 243 that is a good shooter.

My son won one in 243! Animals he shoots at aren't a fan! I cut 2" off the stock for him but it shoots great for a cheap gun.

Comment

Have a laminated one in 375 Ruger.
                Accurate but will make your shoulders blades slap each other.
                Freakin brutal!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I have a TC Venture that I love in 300 Win Mag and I have sighted in lots of Ruger American rifles for our StarKids program, but the stainless fluted barrel on the Savage caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Have a laminated one in 375 Ruger.
                    Accurate but will make your shoulders blades slap each other.
                    Freakin brutal!!!!
                    I have the synthetic marinecote model in .375 Ruger

Comment

I bought one a couple of weeks ago when Kentucky Gun Co had them for 230 or 318 with a vortex scope
                      I got the 6.5 creed, and it shoots really good!
                      The actions are very good
                      They seem to perform flawlessly
                      They have a fluted barrel
                      They have a really good trigger, way better then my savage accutrigger
                      They are a light gun so they very easy to carry hunting
                      The barrel is fluted which looks really nice

Cons
                      They have a lever for a safety, like the Winchester’s had, which I like, but it is a little louder then the Tang safety

The stock sucks, just like most cheap synthetic stocks in any cheap gun

Comment

I have one in .30-06 and it's been a good rifle, it's accurate enough for hunting at the ranges I would shoot. Nothing fancy though

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                          I have the synthetic marinecote model in .375 Ruger
                          I assume that model is lighter than mine.
                          Will keep you in my prayers .

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            I assume that model is lighter than mine.
                            Will keep you in my prayers .
                            I don’t think it is that bad. I had a 3-9 scope on it but had cheap rings. The length of pull is a little short so I put a slip on pad to lengthen it but since have taken the scope off and put a peep sight on it. I kept the recoil pad though I tell everyone it’s my brush gun. I bought some Lee dies a while back. Need more brass.
                            For the money I think they are pretty good rifles.

Comment

Here's a Ruger American in 7mm08 for $299. May be worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                              X