No announcement yet.

143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The people complaining are shooting them at velocities around 2700fps. With todays rifles, that's relatively slow. I have a problem understanding why they wont perform at near ranges and not far. If its coming apart moving that slow, its not a bullet I want to use.
    I know they are finding the deer, but lots of scenarios where you don't find a deer without a blood trail.

Comment

This thread has gotten goofy. Half the guys say it's a fragile bullet and half say it's too tough.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
        Wait a second-- you think the ELD-X, which is designed for 50-60% retention, doesn't perform well under 120 yards on white tails and your answer is a monolithic copper alloy bullet designed for 95% retention?
        That don't make no sense!
        They blow up and down exit. No drain hole. They stop bleeding pretty quick. It kills them but they're hard to find, especially with a late afternoon shot. Mono's always exit and turn everything in the wound channel to jelly...

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          This thread has gotten goofy. Half the guys say it's a fragile bullet and half say it's too tough.
          Exactly... I know less about this bullet now than I did before following this thread. It either blows up on impact.....or pencils through.....or performs perfectly. Let’s face it, i’d say 90% of us rarely shoot deer or hogs over 200 yards. If this bullet wasn’t designed for that.....lots of folks are using the wrong bullet

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
            They blow up and down exit. No drain hole. They stop bleeding pretty quick. It kills them but they're hard to find, especially with a late afternoon shot. Mono's always exit and turn everything in the wound channel to jelly...
            They don’t stop bleeding at all. That’s the reason that only a couple of posts have said anything about losing a deer, which can happen with any bullet. The bullet’s is optimally designed for longer range(300+) If you shoot inside 200 yds, then shoot something else.

Comment

It depends on retained velocity and is therefore cartridge dependent. In general, the ELD-X bullets will provide reliable and effective terminal performance up to velocities of approximately 1,600 feet per second. Click here for more information on Hor...

1600fps, so get out your ballistic chart and look at what yardage your caliber is below 1600fps that is the point at where you could have a failure on expansion and or performance. Not rocket science here boys and I am probably the dumbest guy on TBH.

All bullet manufacturers will have terminal ballistic information on their bullets. It aint that hard to figure out, then again you got to hit that animal in the right spot too. Hornady, Speer, and Sierra put out a lot of information on bullet design. Do a little reading and figure out what you want your bullet to do. I use old junky Sierra Game Kings and Speer HotCor flat base in a lot of my rifles. I use a bonded bullets in my magnums, and I do use Berger in some of my hot rods.

Aint no need in a VLD bullet with a high BC if you shooting things under 300 yards, its a waste of money. Flat base bullets are typically more accurate under 300 yards too and a boat tail aint gonna help you out under 300 yards. If you do not prep your cases right for reloading, a flat base will give you problems.

I want to say a lot more but gonna stop or some yayhoo will get offended.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                [url]Flat base bullets are typically more accurate under 300 yards too and a boat tail aint gonna help you out under 300 yards.
                Forgive me for my question as I am admittedly ignorant on this subject, but why would flat base bullets be more accurate under 300 yards? It wouldn't make sense to me that a bullet would be less accurate within 300 yards (versus a comparable bullet) and then be more accurate after 300 yards. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                  Let’s face it, i’d say 90% of us rarely shoot deer or hogs over 200 yards. If this bullet wasn’t designed for that.....lots of folks are using the wrong bullet
                  solid point

That said I shot the second and third animal with my 24" 6.5 and the 143. 201# boar dropped like a wet rag. I know where I was aiming but was unable to find an entrance or an exit (but he was pretty rank and I didn't look terribly hard). He was at about 130 yards

Third animal was a decent sized east tx buck around 115 ish. Apparently he was quartered away just a hair and bullet entered just behind shoulder and exited opposite side center shoulder. There wasn't much difference in the entrance and exit hole. Bullet absolutely devastated internals and the shoulder meat for that matter. Not a lot of blood in the trail and he went about 40 yards.

Comment

I'm a fan of the amax. They have not done me dirty yet and I have taken quite a few animals with them.

What kind of dog is that?

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                      Forgive me for my question as I am admittedly ignorant on this subject, but why would flat base bullets be more accurate under 300 yards? It wouldn't make sense to me that a bullet would be less accurate within 300 yards (versus a comparable bullet) and then be more accurate after 300 yards. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so maybe I'm missing something obvious.
                      Flat base bullets are easier to manufacture symmetrically, boat tails not so much. A flat square based bullet is more forgiving with a bad crown, boat tail takes longer to clear the muzzle blast gas and it can exaggerate the affects of bad crown. Here is a picture of what I mean.

The main advantage boattails have is the higher ballistic coefficient, which means if you fired a flat base and a boat tail at the same velocity at a real long range target the boat tail would get there first and more accurate because of less exposure to the elements. Faster would be more better

There is more to it than that but I aint the guy to ask stuff like this, I just been around a lot of folks that have forgot more about it than I will ever know. High Power shooters, silhouette shooters and bench resters have shown me a lot over the years.
                      Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Flat base bullets are easier to manufacture symmetrically, boat tails not so much. A flat square based bullet is more forgiving with a bad crown, boat tail takes longer to clear the muzzle blast gas and it can exaggerate the affects of bad crown. Here is a picture of what I mean.

The main advantage boattails have is the higher ballistic coefficient, which means if you fired a flat base and a boat tail at the same velocity at a real long range target the boat tail would get there first and more accurate because of less exposure to the elements. Faster would be more better

There is more to it than that but I aint the guy to ask stuff like this, I just been around a lot of folks that have forgot more about it than I will ever know. High Power shooters, silhouette shooters and bench resters have shown me a lot over the years.
                        Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                          I'm a fan of the amax. They have not done me dirty yet and I have taken quite a few animals with them.

What kind of dog is that?

I just switched to the A max. Shot a buck that weighed over 160lbs field dressed and he didn’t go 30 yds. He was about 100yds away at the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                            Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
                            No problem, I just hate to post much technical stuff or anything intelligent on TBH.

Rather keep people thinking I am a total idiot, life is a lot easier that way.

Comment

https://www.hornady.com/support/faqs...ith-eld-bullet

1600fps, so get out your ballistic chart and look at what yardage your caliber is below 1600fps that is the point at where you could have a failure on expansion and or performance. Not rocket science here boys and I am probably the dumbest guy on TBH.

All bullet manufacturers will have terminal ballistic information on their bullets. It aint that hard to figure out, then again you got to hit that animal in the right spot too. Hornady, Speer, and Sierra put out a lot of information on bullet design. Do a little reading and figure out what you want your bullet to do. I use old junky Sierra Game Kings and Speer HotCor flat base in a lot of my rifles. I use a bonded bullets in my magnums, and I do use Berger in some of my hot rods.

Aint no need in a VLD bullet with a high BC if you shooting things under 300 yards, its a waste of money. Flat base bullets are typically more accurate under 300 yards too and a boat tail aint gonna help you out under 300 yards. If you do not prep your cases right for reloading, a flat base will give you problems.

I want to say a lot more but gonna stop or some yayhoo will get offended.

In theory your right, but their seems to be some evidence that you need more than 1600 for reliable expansion. I think the 143x is a good bullet it’s just not good for creed. In some of the hotter 6.5 it would do better imo.

Comment

Has anyone confirmed that this is a bonded bullet? I didn't think it was

Comment

Working...
                                X