Barrel length on 6.5 Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
    My 6.5cm has a 22" barrel and I'm shooting 120gr Barnes tsx handloads just over 3000 fps

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    That is sexy

Comment

I'll be selling my HMR very shortly.
      22" barrel and great gun for both hunting and the range.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
        My HMR with 22” barrel is at 2780fps with hornady black 140gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        What scope is that?

Comment

My Tikka/Criterion/KRG is 22”. It wears a different scope now but it could probably be a 1 hole shooter if I had a scope better than my VX-R 4-12 on it. (That’s why I’m in the market for a LR scope)

Comment

I run both of my 6.5CM's suppressed, the 20" bbl RAR compact shoots 140 Hornady Black at 2550fps, handloaded 143 ELDx's at 2525fps. The 22" bbl Savage I just chrono'd over the weekend running factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDx at 2640fps. I'll create a handload for it over the winter. With the suppressor, the 22" Savage is about all the length I'd want to deal with in a box blind, and the Ruger is just "OK". I kind of wish I would have gone with the Bergara I was considering with the 18" bbl, but was concerned about bolt shroud issues I learned of with it. Looking at my ballistics app, the 2640fps factory ELDx out of the 22" bbl drops below 1000 ft/lbs of energy after 650yards, so be mindful that shorter barrels/lower velocity will reduce that figure more.

Stu

Comment

I try to get rifles as short as possible since I only shoot suppressed. Thus, I would love a 16", but both my 6.5CM are 18" and they have plenty of velocity to kill everything I've shot at. Granted the furthest shot at a whitetail was 327yds and he was DRT with a clean pass thru quartered away. Anyway, I'm very happy with 18".

Comment

I have a 20” Christensen Ridgeline that pushes 135 Berger classic hunters at 2825 suppressed. It will be up for sale soon...

Comment

Barrel length on 6.5 Creedmoor

Ive got a 16.5” manbun to run with a suppressor.
                  I can’t give a speed but the few things I’ve pointed it at died- somewhat quietly.

Comment

If I was going shorter barrel I would drop down to 130ish bullet to pick up some velocity

Comment

Originally posted by TxLonghorn View Post
                      If I was going shorter barrel I would drop down to 130ish bullet to pick up some velocity

I’ve been using the Hornady American Whitewall 129gr interlocks with mine, so far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for everyone’s input. Might be a year or so b4 getting suppressor paperwork done, just making sure I have everything else bought beforehand.

Comment

I had a 16.1", it was my go-to for a long time, especially good with a suppressor. Never had a problem with performance.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            I cut mine from 24" to 22". And then down to 18".

It's super handy at 18" but only shooting 2400 fps using 143 gr Hornady eld-x.

I kinda wish I had left it at 22", but I'm not sure how fast it was at that length
                            I went back to look at some notes. Federal Non Typical 140s (same as blue box) shot 2500-2514 from the same gun w/ 18" barrel

Comment

One more data point. Hornady GMX Full Boar 120s shot 2770 in my 18"

Comment

My Tikka/Manners/Bartlein 5r is 17".

Comment

Working...
                                X