Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrett 6.5 Swede load workup is done I think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrett 6.5 Swede load workup is done I think...

I've had this Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Swede for a little over a year now. I mounted a Swarovski Z3 3.5-10X42 on it and have been working on load recipes off and on. I haven't been able to work on it as much as I wanted to or this would have been done a long time ago. I've got two loads to work with but I'm gonna stick with the 130 Scirocco/42.5 IMR 4350/Rem 9-1/2 for awhile. This is a four shot group after getting the barrel fouled. I had cleaned it down to bare metal and it took a little while to settle back in and these were the last 4 rounds I took with me. Velocity is 2660 FPS. This is the second time I've shot this load and got under .5 MOA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683 (3).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	25197157

I've been playing around with the 130 Accubond as well. It shot so well in my 7/08 that I thought I'd try it in the Swede. 47.5 RL-19/CCI 200 and I was pleasantly surprised. Velocity is right at 2770 fps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	25197156

Great shooting!
    I love my Fieldcraft in 6.5CM. Mine shoots amazingly well with the weight of an Omega 762 on the end and Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. I just need to reverse engineer that factory load for handloads.

Comment

Thanks! I don't have a can on mine and being that the rifle is extremely light makes shooting for group a challenge. When shooting off the bench in load development I have to modify my shooting form just a little to keep the groups tight. In the field, it hasn't mattered.

Comment

Yeah, I was shooting it with a Specwar can on the end and it was more finicky on my hold. I had to be very careful on the way I held it to get consistent shots. I think the Omega must be the perfect weight to hit an accuracy node or something. It's much easier to group. Even with a scope, can, ammo and sling it still weighs less than 7.5#.
        I wish they would come out with a 6.5PRC or SAUM
        It just hit me that your first group is smaller center to center than the diameter of the projectile, that's amazing! Congrats again!

Comment

Yeah, I know! The first group I had with that exact load was .185. You could hardly tell there were 3 shots. It looked more like a bug hole. I wasn't sure if it was the actual load or maybe I flinched just right when the guy next to me started blasting away with his .308 AR. I think this time the load is confirmed. And that Scirocco is one bad arse bullet.

Comment

Working...
          X