Best Tree's for East Texas Front Yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Tree's for East Texas Front Yard?

I am starting from scratch on our new homesite. We built in a pasture, and our little over acre that is fenced doesn't have a single tree in it. I am wanting to get something going. I spoke with a guy earlier today, about getting some live oaks to plant. Are these good for a front yard tree. This is in East Texas with sandy loam type soil. What else do you guys recommend that grows well and I will not regret later on.

Also, looking for any pointers/advice in regards to planting trees. Or info about layout of trees. Thanks for any info!

Live oaks will take forever to get any size- beautiful once they are 20 or 30 years old. If you are looking for fast growing that will provide a lot of shade you can look at Silver Maple. I have planted a couple at two different places and they grow well and provide lots of shade. Don't plant near your septic system- roots will give it fits.

Comment

Texas Red Oak (Shumard Oak)

Comment

Monterrey oaks.grow pretty fast. Fertilize each year.

Comment

Don't plant a Ash tree. I have 5 of those dang things to cut down.

Comment

east texas, pine trees what else!

silver maples grow very fast also tend to blow over easier than most others, live oaks are awesome but slow,, Bradford pears grow fast make great shade and don't get overly tall

Comment

Plant a pine tree. They grow fast and are evergreen. Places like The Woodlands have created awesome landscapes with pine trees.

Comment

Live oak they grow alot faster than you think. I have one that's 6 years old and over 30 ft across and 25 ft tall

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Come to my house and I can show you what a Silver Maple looks like. Lufkin is just down the road from me.

Comment

Here's a picture

Comment

Plant both fast and slower growing trees. The Maple, ash, and bradford pear are good for fast grown and quick shade, but may die off in 20-30 years. By then the oaks should be developed and take over the void they leave in your yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        Here's a picture

I like that! What size did it start at

Comment

A stick. I just fertilized it after the second year and trimmed it. They grow fast.

Comment

Here is a great source....

Texas Forest Service, Find a Tree, Tree, Trees, plant a tree, tree planting, arbor, Texas tree species, Texas trees, tree planting guide, tree growing guide, Texas landscape, gardening, ornamentals, plants, Texas tree pruning, Texas tree selector, yard tree, landscape tree planting, palm tree planting, palms, landscape, nursery, gardening, garden, urban forestry, tree care, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso, xeriscape

Comment

Growing up in East Texas, I will never intentionally plant a pine tree at my house. They just aren’t that special to me. I love oaks on the other hand, so I would look at planting some oaks (white oak, red oak, etc). Downside is that oaks take a long time to mature. But I’m partial to hardwood trees, so that’s what I would do

Comment

Working...
                              X