Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question

First off I am not an electrician by any means. So sorry for my ignorance on this. I had a very confusing trip to Lowe’s. I am installing an oven into our ranch house that has 30 amp breaker running to a 3 prong, 30 amp outlet. (Oven didn’t come with a port) so today I went to town looking for a port and they don’t have one to match the outlet and I didn’t see any other 220v 30 amp outlets/plugs. The guy proceeds to tell me that I can change out the existing outlet to a 4 prong that is a 30/50 amp rated and use a 50 amp plug (they didn’t have a 30 amp plug). Is this true & is this safe? Or cause problems in my oven?

30 amp breaker ————- to a 30/50amp outlet————— using a 50 amp port?
    Just doesn’t make sense to me.

I was always told if the breaker is 30amps then then the outlet needs to be 30 amps and whatever you’re using needs to be 30 amps so that the breaker will trip if there are problems?
    Thanks for any help!

Your breaker needs to be sized right (not too big and not too small). Your plug and outlet need to be sized at least as big as the spec (not too small). There is no harm in going bigger with plug and outlet as the breaker will protect it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      Your breaker needs to be sized right (not too big and not too small). Your plug and outlet need to be sized at least as big as the spec (not too small). There is no harm in going bigger with plug and outlet as the breaker will protect it.

So I’m okay with what I have?

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
        So I’m okay with what I have?
        I don't see any concerns if you bought what you described.

Comment

As long as the breaker is the weakest point you’re good. 50 amp outlet and cord hooked to a 30 amp breaker is fine (provides appliance only needs 30)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank y’all!

Comment

You need to know for sure what the oven/range requires. 30 amp. or 50 amp.
              I went and looked at mine just now to be sure and it has a 50 amp. breaker because that is what is required for mine.
              You also need to know what size wire is run from the breaker to the outlet. There are more variables to know to be able to answer your question correctly.
              Hope all this makes sense.

Comment

You need to be sure you have large enough wire for the breaker you are connecting to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of if's here.

With what your describing, adding a 50A Cord and receptacle will work. As long as your oven is a 30A appliance and the wiring in the wall is rated for 30A breaker in the circuit (#10 if under 100').

Comment

My oven is a 30 amp appliance.

So a 30 amp appliance ———— to a 50 amp outlet ————— to a 30 amp breaker.

I’ll have to check to see what size wire it is and I’ll report back.

Comment

My oven is a 30 amp appliance.

So a 30 amp appliance ———— to a 50 amp outlet ————— to a 30 amp breaker.

I’ll have to check to see what size wire it is and I’ll report back.
                      If the outlet was originally a 30amp then the wire should be rated for 30 amp. If you change the plug to a 50amp plug Its still a 30 amp circuit.

Comment

Another issue that I ran into is that the existing 3 prong outlet is obviously just black, white and ground.

The 4 prong has black, red, white and ground..
                        Last edited by Laner7; 10-16-2020, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Circuit breakers are sized to protect the wire. Wire or outlets that exceed the breaker rating are acceptable. Not a NEC guru but the way i understand the three wire versus 4 wire circuit is if the load is entirely a 220 v load - no 120v loads it is acceptable to run a tgree wire circuit. If the load is a combination of 220 and 120 v loads a four wire circuit is required. Using a three wire circuit to serve a 220 and 120v load means the ground wire must carry the return current for the 120v loads. The ground should never be used as a current carrying conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                            Circuit breakers are sized to protect the wire. Wire or outlets that exceed the breaker rating are acceptable. Not a NEC guru but the way i understand the three wire versus 4 wire circuit is if the load is entirely a 220 v load - no 120v loads it is acceptable to run a tgree wire circuit. If the load is a combination of 220 and 120 v loads a four wire circuit is required. Using a three wire circuit to serve a 220 and 120v load means the ground wire must carry the return current for the 120v loads. The ground should never be used as a current carrying conductor.
                            I was on google searching a way to make something work for my outlet since it’s only 3 wires while my oven has 4 wires. it said that I can move my white wire (neutral) in place of the missing red wire (hot), but that sounds like it would mess up my oven.
                            Sorry again. I’m very green with electric. I would hire it out, but can’t find anyone around me.

Comment

I was on google searching a way to make something work for my outlet since it’s only 3 wires while my oven has 4 wires. it said that I can move my white wire (neutral) in place of the missing red wire (hot), but that sounds like it would mess up my oven.
                              Sorry again. I’m very green with electric. I would hire it out, but can’t find anyone around me.
                              PM Sent

Comment

Working...
                              X