No announcement yet.

Anyone Eat Armadillos and/or Racoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ate raccoon pretty regularly growing up (dad had a pack of hounds). Usually barbecued. It was OK from what I remember.

You couldn't make me eat possum after seeing one crawl out of a decomposed cow's a@@.

Comment

Has to be an east Texas thing

Comment

Politicians in Arkansas pretty much have to eat them once a year.

GILLETTE, Ark. (KATV) -- Every January, Arkansas politicians find their way to a high school gym in the town of Gillett. The annual Gillett Coon Supper is a tradition that dates back to 76 years. If you want to run for office in Arkansas, you better have an appetite for raccoon. "I am a fan of the delicacy. As long as you have barbecue sauce on there, it's really good," Gov. Asa Hutchinson said.

In Arkansas, one of the most acknowledged, anticipated, and attended wild game dinners is the annual Gillett Coon Supper held on the second weekend of ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Ate raccoon pretty regularly growing up (dad had a pack of hounds). Usually barbecued. It was OK from what I remember.

You couldn't make me eat possum after seeing one crawl out of a decomposed cow's a@@.
          That is a mental image I cant unsee.

Comment

Never tried either one, but I do know we sold ALOT of coons at $5 apiece to folks who ate them. We took good care of them, washed them out, etc. Had to leave a foot on though or folks wouldn't buy.

Comment

Coons are decent. Awkward size to clean.

Never tried a diller and it’s not high on the list!

Comment

Eating Armadillo can be dangerous. They carry the Leprosy disease.
                Armadillos are one of the very few mammals that harbor the bacteria that causes the sometimes disfiguring disease, which first shows up as an unusual lumpy skin lesion.

Eat a rattlesnake!

Comment

Never tried armadillo it raccoon can be awesome if cooked halfway right.Best I ever had was deboned and made into a bbq sloppy joe sandwich. I was 7 and hunting with my Grandfather in Tunica Hills Mississippi I can still remember how good that sandwich was.

Comment

Coon is not good. Armadillo is not edible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always given armadillos a hard pass in the woods. I don't have any reason to shoot them if I'm not going to eat them. I figured I'd ask if they were worth trying on the grill. Sounds like that's a "no". As for coons, I've skinned a couple, and always thought, "yea-no... not gonna eat this one, maybe next time".

Comment

Pass for me.

Comment

My stomach is curning just reading this.

Comment

I’ve had coon several times and was edible. Can’t say I crave it. No Dillo however. Just seems like a lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah no

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                                Never tried either one, but I do know we sold ALOT of coons at $5 apiece to folks who ate them. We took good care of them, washed them out, etc. Had to leave a foot on though or folks wouldn't buy.

I'm gonna ask... though I feel like this is a set-up with a goofy punchline to follow... Why wouldn't they buy without a foot on?

Comment

Working...
                                X