• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    I vote Tunnel to Towers Org...
    Great organization.

Comment

Two names have been emerging from the list of Supreme Court contenders President Trump is said to be considering following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, according to reports.

High on the list.

But, wait a minute. Barrett is a Roman Catholic and from all places New Orleans. Thought many of you old boys had a problem with that? You know.... The statue worshiping religion?
      Last edited by Bayouboy; 09-20-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I disagreed with her also...but she was indeed brilliant and a fighter for her cause's

RIP RBG.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...-lagoa-reports

High on the list.

But, wait a minute. Barrett is a Roman Catholic and from all places New Orleans. Thought many of you old boys had a problem with that? You know.... The statue worshiping religion?
          I must have missed something. I cant recall there being any conversation regarding this.

In my opinion there isnt anyone I would rather have on the SCOTUS than an Originalist. No matter which woman Trump picks, it is going to be interesting to watch in what manner the Dems attack her.

Comment

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...-lagoa-reports

High on the list.

A perfect opportunity for the Democrats to indulge their anti-catholic bigotry.

Joe Biden is a Roman Catholic.

This is shaping up to be a very entertaining October.

Comment

God threw us a bone in 2016

Throwing us a bone now but we have to act on it (show some balls and faith)

Nominate and confirm now! The election isnt a factor with this development. An unprecedented opportunity awaits.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post

Nominate and confirm now! The election isnt a factor with this development. An unprecedented opportunity awaits.
                He wants this creation of his to survive the

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  I must have missed something. I cant recall there being any conversation regarding this.

In my opinion there isnt anyone I would rather have on the SCOTUS than an Originalist. No matter which woman Trump picks, it is going to be interesting to watch in what manner the Dems attack her.
                  Originalism. 100%

Bayou boy, Catholics are some of the most fervent opponents to abortion. You know that. ACB is also, by all accounts I’ve been able to find, a STAUNCH constitutionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                    Originalism. 100%

Bayou boy, Catholics are some of the most fervent opponents to abortion. You know that. ACB is also, by all accounts I’ve been able to find, a STAUNCH constitutionalist.
                    I know that. I was reared in the Catholic church. I also know there are multiple people on here not that long ago trashing the Catholic religion. Just wondering how they feel now that the top candidate is Catholic.

Comment

What the hell does Amy’s religion have to do with anything......

Her job would be to uphold the constitution for ALL RELIGIONS.....

Fill the seat Trump....like someone said earlier this is an unprecedented opportunity....you cannot trust Roberts.....this will give you 6-3....at worst 5-4.....

When trump wins I hope Breyer retires...he is 82... and Thomas is 72 Alito 70....

Fill that court with 40 somethings....that way for the next 30 years we can at least keep this country going straight

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                        What the hell does Amy’s religion have to do with anything......

Her job would be to uphold the constitution for ALL RELIGIONS.....

Fill the seat Trump....like someone said earlier this is an unprecedented opportunity....you cannot trust Roberts.....this will give you 6-3....at worst 5-4.....

When trump wins I hope Breyer retires...he is 82... and Thomas is 72 Alito 70....

Fill that court with 40 somethings....that way for the next 30 years we can at least keep this country going straight
                        The democrats are already talking about adding seats to the court next time they have the power.

Comment

I know that. I was reared in the Catholic church. I also know there are multiple people on here not that long ago trashing the Catholic religion. Just wondering how they feel now that the top candidate is Catholic.
                          I was involved in the conversation, but respectfully, to my recollection. So this was me telling you how I feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            The democrats are already talking about adding seats to the court next time they have the power.
                            It’ll be one of the first things they do.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post

Agreed! All precedent to move forward and appoint NOW. Last time this wasn't done was the 1880s, every President same party as the Senate did this in the last year of office, has happened MULTIPLE times. No real argument not too other than possibly pull every anti-abortionist in the nation to the poll, either way ,move forward MAGA !!!!! Rest assured the Lords plan while not always obvious will prevail.

Comment

This will likely be my only post ever in this forum.
                                Unless you believe neither party will ever control all 3 branches ever again, confirming a new justice before the election, or in the lame duck *if* the senate majority or white house changes hands is extremely short sighted on several levels.
                                It seems like a lot of people think the "lifetime appointment" of justices is not just yet another aspect of our governmental system that relies on norms to stay in place. Justices are still accountable to the majority will of both branches of Congress they can be impeached. Additionally it really doesn’t matter how many justices have been appointed, since Congress also gets to set the number that make up the supreme court, the court can be packed. The only thing that stops these things from happening is the respect of the norms, concerns of institutional legitimacy, and that knowledge that at some point the other party may be in power in these norms and institutions will protect us. Once it has been shown that now the normal mode of operation is to grab as much power as possible and then entrench it as permanently as you can, there’s no reason to do anything other than as soon as you have control of all three branches immediately make systemic changes to lock that control in. If the Republicans go forward in this fashion, as soon as the Democrats control all three branches, which could be as soon as Jan 2021, they would be foolish to not do three things immediately
                                1) revoke the filibuster
                                2) pack the court to say 15 justices or if it’s easier simply impeach the last two
                                3) make DC in Puerto Rico states, which is a bit more of a lift but very doable

All of which is legal if you have the votes. The only thing that stops this from occurring is a sense of political backlash from such a naked power grab, which will be much less of a issue if a justice has been appointed in lame duck or before the election.
                                Additionally, if you actually value the standing of the United States and the stability of our institutions this may be the straw that breaks breaks the camels back in the long term. None of this will stop here, it will accelerate. The risk is far too high to go down this path for something that isn’t actually permanent anyway.
                                If the White House and the Senate majority stays after the election then they can do what they want, confirm Amy Barret, and it’ll all be within reasonable bounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X