Trailer strip & repaint & rewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer strip & repaint & rewire

My custom made, 16ft Bumper pull trailer is looking bad need to refurbish it
    Can I spray it with ospho and rinse off? Then primer and paint
    Or does a repaint require a wire disking then repaint?
    If ospho Will work about how much product should I order? Using a pump sprayer And any idea on amount of paint and primer to order
    Also re wiring. Is 50 feet of 7 way 14Ga trailer harness enough ?
    With a junction box then a 8ft 7-Way Trailer Plug Cord Wiring Harness [7-Pin Trailer Wire Cable] [Brake & Light Control] [10-14AWG] 7 Prong Trailer Light Cord Wiring Connector from junction box to truck
    Any other recommendations besides heat shrink tubing
    Trying to keep in a budget , so I can also replace the surge brakes over to electric
    big thanks In advance
    P.s it has multiple chain boxes and a 100 gallon air tank to paint
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-19-2020, 10:50 PM.

You won' need much ospho, a little goes a long way. A quart would probably do you. You can purchase ospho at an Ace hardware store for about $17 a quart or $25 a gallon. The shipping fees for ospho were outrageous when I was researching it.

Comment

Heck with 4 quarts in a gallon I should be good? For $25 multiple times ( I don’t relish wire wheeling)

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        Heck with 4 quarts in a gallon I should be good? For $25 multiple times ( I don’t relish wire wheeling)
        Forget the wire wheel. For flat steel get a flap wheel and hit it quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Forget the wire wheel. For flat steel get a flap wheel and hit it quickly.
          It’s pipe Top with angle, thank about using a flap wheel on flat it has boom and chain boxes

Comment

Be careful using ospho if you have it sitting in concrete...it will stain it. We strip down with wire wheel and flap disc. Use a spray bottle for Ospho.Let sit over night then prime and paint. I bought a ugly old GN off here and we did the above--it came out sharp looking. For the electrical, solder then silicone and slide over the heat shrink tube and heat shrink. At the shop we use heat shrink wire crimp fittings. Post pics if you have time. It would be cool to see before/after

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              It’s pipe Top with angle, thank about using a flap wheel on flat it has boom and chain boxes
              Ok. Just get some 40 or 60 grit sandpaper and so it (quickly) by hand. I', with you--hate wire wheels. Even with full shields I have had the bite me!

Comment

Check out the Sopoby Solder Seat connectors on Amazon. You heat them and they solder and heat shrink. Real slick product

Comment

Before picture

As you can see I have my work cut out for me
                  ( my neighbor was making biodiesel and blew up his barn full of chemicals/methyl oxdide)
                  And every thing made of metal down wind had the paint fall off
                  Trucks, feeder, my 79 F250 ranch vehicle, ect
                  Sorry the pictures are side ways
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-20-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

It seems his insurance company should pay you for that damage. If so, pay someone else to do it.

I need to redo my trailer as well. Pipe top 18'. I was thinking about taking it to an auto body place.

Comment

Don’t forget the three clearance lights on the rear .. center. Polo wrote me up for not having them.

Comment

I would like to see the 79 F250-- I would love to find one with the 300 inline six, granny 4 speed, 4x4

Comment

Pilar there is a guy in beeville that is supposed to be pretty cheap on sandblast and paint. I can send his contact if you want? I have never used him but a good customer that runs a fab shop in Beeville told me about him

Comment

Can you simply paint right over the Ospho after it dries?

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                              Can you simply paint right over the Ospho after it dries?

Comment

Working...
                              X