How to restore rusted cast iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to restore rusted cast iron?

Since I have some free time on my hands i thought i would clean up this old rusted cast iron griddle. What’s the best way to get started?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOTS of steel wool

Comment

Electrolysis works great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ADeB6V1rQ"]Removing Rust with Electrolysis - WOOD magazine - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

White vinegar mixed with salt. Let it sit for 24-48 hours.

Comment

Evapo rust

Comment

Self cleaning oven or bonfire

Comment

Soak it in red devil lye for a few days, and then nylon brush.
              It will come out looking like new.

Comment

Rust is the dreaded enemy of cast iron. But whether you inherited a rusty piece, found one at a garage sale or accidentally left one out in the elements -

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
                  Self cleaning oven or bonfire
                  Old school way. My grandmother and my mom both have done it this way. Saturate in melted hog lard or bacon grease, then drop it in a very hot fire. Comes out clean, then re-cure as usual.

Comment

I've restored badly rusted skillets by soaking them in a 50% vinegar to water solution. I use an old ice chest. Make sure it's completely submerged. Check it every hour. Rinse it off each time you check. Hit it with a wire brush. If you let it soak too long, the vinegar will pit the pan. After it is cleaned to your liking, wash it in HOT water. Dry it as best you can and put it in a warm oven until it's really dry. Then to re-season it, coat it in oil, (I use crisco) and put it back in the oven upside down on the middle rack at 350* for an hour or two. Turn the oven off and let it cool inside the oven. Oh, and put foil in the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings.

Comment

Whatever method you use to remove the rust, make sure you season it again good afterwards

Comment

Lots of ways to do this. I am burning brush right now so i may try the fire technique first.

Comment

I watched this whole video...very interesting. This guy fixed a pan that was approximately 50% rusted which took him a long time and a ton of effort. I think to fix your plate, it will be more like a turn-around than a job. Good luck on your project.

Comment

Electrolysis works great!

Comment

I did a couple of skillets last year with my propane grill. You can also use your oven or a fire. Wire brush and steel wool afterwards it cools. Repeat as necessary.
                              Season it in oven as mentioned upside down in oven but only use a light coating of oil. Repeat seasoning until you have a good build up, I did mine around 4 times.
                              Walnut oil (expensive) is what I used on mine as it has a higher burn temperature but my skillet is glass smooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X