Moving a gun safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a gun safe

My dad had a company move his gun safe to my house while they were in between homes. They have recently bought a new home and are ready to move the safe. He wants to avoid spending as much this time around. Any alternatives other than the safe movers? I think this one weighs around 800 lbs.

Big long thread on this a few weeks or month ago. Most people said don't do it yourself. I wouldn't move mine again

Comment

Tell him to just leave it with you

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Tell him to just leave it with you
        This, we were just in the same boat. We bought my parents house and dad wanted to move the safe. I told him to just leave it and buy a new one and I'd pay him for it.

Comment

I helped a friend move a safe, we used a sixteen foot flatbed trailer and layed the safe on its back, we loaded and unloaded without any problems until he tried to open the safe and it wouldnt open...he called a locksmith and he said "NEVER LAY A SAFE ON ITS BACK WHEN TRANSPORTING IT" he drilled a hole in it and used a magic tool to unlock it and then repaired the damage...I will not move another safe

Comment

I've moved a few but the damage you do may cost more than the safe movers

Comment

mine weighs in at 600lbs and i have had the pleasure of moving it 3 times by myself, i used an appliance dolly and an 8ft tilt trailer. Mine was also layed on its back for every move without any issues. I say if you have the help then go for it. you could also look into renting a truck with a lift tailgate, uhaul may offer this.

Comment

I have moved mine that size several times.

If you have hard floors (tile or wood) set it on a piece of carpet (carpet side down) and slide it where ever you want to go.

If you have carpet you will need a good appliance dolly.

Only time I have needed more than my wife's help is when we moved it up stairs

Comment

Golf balls work wonders....

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                    I've moved a few but the damage you do may cost more than the safe movers
                    This! Not to mention the damage you cause may be to your back, shoulder etc! Have you priced a discectomy lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                      Golf balls work wonders....

No damage to the floors?

Comment

Appliance dolly and a couple of big friends. I hauled mine on a small trailer in the upright position from the Woodlands to the west side of Magnolia, just need to strap it down good.

Comment

I was so impressed with the specialized equipment those guys have and care they took moving across my hardwood floors. In my case the cost of having it moved far outweighed the risks(slipped disc, hernia, marred floors, walls, doorways, damage to safe).

Step back and look at the big picture. For a couple of hundred bucks someone is going to drive to your home.....pick up the beast with specialized equipment.....maneuver it through the house........put it in a truck......drive to your folks home.....unload, move it through their house.......set the beast exactly where they want it......AND bolt it down.

A year from now will your folks even remember the few odd dollars it cost to do this?

Comment

Moved mine myself. Loaded on trailer standing up and strapped it down good. Was not going on highway and never got over 40mph. 4 - 5 pieces of 1 inch PVC pipe under the safe and you can roll it through the house. Backed a trailer up to the porch and rolled it on.

Comment

If it's not bolted down, you might as well put your guns in a cardboard box.

Comment

Working...
                              X