No announcement yet.

Killing poison ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just killing it wont stop you from getting the rash though.. I have fought this fight and I had to pull out all the vines after it died in order to get rid of it. The urushiol oil can stay for a long time (years) after the plan has died... I literally had on dish gloves, long sleeve shirt, jeans and eye pro on while pulling this stuff out to the root! That was the only thing to work effectively for me..

Comment

20% Remedy, 80% diesel. Spray base of stem about 6-12" off ground

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Gary

Comment

i mix 2-4-d remedy and tordon, put some dish soap in the mix> i havent had anything come back that ive sprayed

Comment

Tagged.

Comment

I had a couple of acres that had it pretty thick. Used Round Up Brush Killer or Spectracide . The key is get the stuff made to kill brush. After about three years I pretty much knocked it out.

Comment

Mowing my city yard, Poison Oak poking through the fence! Cut it down but growing in neighbors yard and she is a Nurse and of course very busy with the crazy going down (another prayer up). Meanwhile it is pouring rain and some hail in Georgetown. Maybe the hail will nail it (and my truck of course which does not fit in Garage)

Comment

Anyone aware of regulations regarding spraying poison by water? We have it all along the bayou behind the house and I’m responsible for upkeep on my portion along the bayou.

For whatever reason, my neighbor Has a chain link fence running parallel to my fence Bout 1’ away from it. Of course theres poison ivy growing all through that 1’ gap and coming through the fence. Its going to be interesting trying to figure out how to get it out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                    I haven't messed with mixing diesel into roundup/remedy instead of water. But would diesel not tend to "burn" the leaves and defoliate the plant before the herbicide has time to work its way in?

I have heard of more people using diesel when treating cut stumps or girdled trees than herbaceous plants.
                    If you spray leaves they will fall off and the tree go dormant. My gator is never without a bottle of remedy/diesel in it.

I spot spray about 100 gallons of remedy/2-4D a year. I've never killed a tree unless it was my target. A lot of my targeted species grow under oak trees. I do use low flow X-1 or X3 conejets though. That's with a mix of 16/16 per 24 gallons.

Comment

I’ve heard that plain vinegar kills it deader than a doorknob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        4 - 5 oz of round up (or generic glyposate) per gallon. Add MSO (basically vegetable oil) at 1 oz as a surfactant. Kills Poison Ivy in a week. Will not harm trees. I use it all of the time.

This works on green brier, too. Make sure you spray from 2' up down to the ground all around the green brier.

I’m going to do this. My poor wife got into some and it took a month to heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                          I’m going to do this. My poor wife got into some and it took a month to heal.

Wow that looks terrible. Probably the worst I’ve seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dang, I'm allergic to it but not that bad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

^That's what it looks like when I get it. F that crap. Also why I refuse to mow. 20/80 remedy/diesel will kill it for sure. That's what I use on Mesquite and Yaupon.......if it'll kill them it'll kill poison ivy. The roundup kills the surface ivy plants, but they seem to come back the next year.

Comment

Remedy is supposed to be mixed with diesel. It is expensive and is VERY dangerous for trees. It also will kill amphibians in runoff so you'll want to avoid both trees and runoff. Roundup brush and weed adds triclopyr in the mix and is more effective and less dangerous to other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X