Yellow Pine Coffee Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow Pine Coffee Table

Well I've been meaning to finally make use of the garage space for projects now that we're not in an apartment. Decided to start with a coffee table.
    Made all cuts first. Using a handsaw. Had a little trouble rigging a makeshift jig to get straight cuts, but wound up using a c-clamp horizontally with a guide cut block on top, then a spare end on the other side of the saw just held in the other hand to keep the saw straight.
    Originally was using my hand drill, but the gears gave up on one of the pocket holes. So did buy a 30$ drill.
    Hopefully one of y'all gets a kick out of this or decides to start trying projects even if you don't have all the latest doodad tools.
    Attached Files

The angle cuts were the toughest part with the handsaw, but wanted them to actually brace the table, not just angle to one face which would not actually transfer load.

Comment

I do a lot of woodworking. I could not do that with a handsaw. Very impressive skills!!

Comment

takes me back to being a kid. All we had was hand tools.

Comment

What finish are you going to use on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Next project......fab table!

My back hurts just thinking about working on the floor like that. Good work my man.

Comment

Thanks. Putting a danish oil finish on it, so that it has a little bit of varnish in it.

I did think of trying to sell the wife on me needing to make a work table as well. However I knew I'd be too tired for both projects and want to try to build a fold out table when i do that, so figured I'd just knock this out.

Comment

Just finished oil coats.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Hooverfb; 12-14-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

That's a good start. I love using number two 2by yellow pine for rustic projects. It's cheaper than the white 1by boards you might find at the big box stores.

Comment

I have had trouble staining yellow pine. Seems to resist the stains. I guess an oil finish is way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah pine has too much resin to take stain well in my opinion. Makes it kind of blurry or blotchy, no matter how you prep it. Plus I like the natural color of yellow pine combined with the way oil tends to amber it.

Comment

Dang nice work

Comment

nie work

Comment

Wood is good! Nice work, that thing is no light weight.

Comment

Beautiful work man

Comment

Working...
                              X