Bass fishing startup advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass fishing startup advice

My 17 yo son has started fish our local ponds & has had reasonable success. He's good in the bay but he & I suffer from the same problem bass fishing senkos & worms Texas rigged. For some reason we can't seem to get a hook set. We tried waiting to let the fish run, harder hook set, heavier action rod & tightening the drag yet nothing seems to help. I had similar problems when I fished Falcon years ago with my wading setup. Really out of ideas & hoping someone will share some advice. Only happens with Texas rigged senkos & worms not having issues with Ned rig or other species just not hooking up on bass.
    Thanks in advance!
    Alex

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am a very amateur bass fisherman but I feel the bite, reel down and rip them lips!!!

Comment

Could be a number of things. My guess is that you either have to small of a hook, or to big of a bait. Expose the hook a little and just barely stick it back into the bait. It will keep it weedless and also make it a little easier to get a hook in em. How big are the fish in the ponds you're fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
        Could be a number of things. My guess is that you either have to small of a hook, or to big of a bait. Expose the hook a little and just barely stick it back into the bait. It will keep it weedless and also make it a little easier to get a hook in em. How big are the fish in the ponds you're fishing?
        This could be it, google Texposed bait. It will show you how rig up. Also, if you are using inshore rods for bass fishing, you may have too light of an action. a good 7'-7'3" Medium Heavy rod is a fairly do all rod for bass fishing. Another thing I would make sure of is to have sharp hooks. Doesn't have to be name brand/expensive, but get some decent worm hooks in a 2/0-4/0 size. I like using EWG worm hooks. It allows me to use a smaller 2/0 size but still have enough gap to expose the hook. This really helps on smaller fish, like pond bass can be.

Comment

This time of year you might be getting bit by perch and not bass. Down size your bait to see if your in a bunch of blugill.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! We just put him on an H&H Backcountry heavy action rod with my old Greenie Curado. Bass aren't big he caught 2 the 1st day on his Ned rig but has had aggressive bite his last 2 trip with no hook ups. I'll check hook size & try exposing the hook more. I really appreciate y'alls help

Comment

Originally posted by G-3 View Post
              Thanks for the advice! We just put him on an H&H Backcountry heavy action rod with my old Greenie Curado. Bass aren't big he caught 2 the 1st day on his Ned rig but has had aggressive bite his last 2 trip with no hook ups. I'll check hook size & try exposing the hook more. I really appreciate y'alls help

Heavy action may be a bit much. If the fish are small then downsize. They could just be biting the tail, or as said above it could be a bunch of perch. Get him some baby brush hogs too... That is my go to pond bait!

Comment

After you feel the bite you have about two seconds to set the hook before the fish drops the worm. I use a snap set with my wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                  After you feel the bite you have about two seconds to set the hook before the fish drops the worm. I use a snap set with my wrist.
                  I'm a firm believer in setting the hook ASAP, but with a senko, they will swallow it normally before they drop it.

If you are using fluoro or mono you might not be using a long enough hookset. Try taking up the slack more and focus more on a longer rather than fast powerful hookset. Longer meaning move the rod tip a farther distance. Now, I'm not saying set the hook slow and pansy like, just put your focus on sweeping the rod farther.

Are you missing fish or losing them? If you're missing them it is probably small fish, if you are initially hooking them and then losing them try what I said above and see if it helps.

Comment

Post a pic of a rigged bait so we can see what your working with.

Comment

if you feel ratatat tat thats a bluegill. You feel that thump cross their eyes. For a all around rod look at 6'9-7ft Medium Heavy rod with fast tip. I prefer braid on every thing but cranks. Use the right size hook for the plastic you are fishing. Quality hooks are important. I prefer Gamakatsu Offset EWG Worm Hook Red. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gama...age-GXWHR.html
                      Last edited by BrandonA; 07-10-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

If your hooks do not already have an offset, try offsetting your own. Bend to one side and slightly outward.

Comment

I just started myself with my 4 year old and we have been tearing up the smaller sized bass. I bought 3/0 offset worm hooks like folks above are saying and dont be shy when setting the hook

Comment

Also if there isn't a ton of structure, just wackey rig it. Wackey worm is my absolute go to. You could use your inshore stuff for a wackey worm as well.

Comment

Senko with 3/0 offset worm hook

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X