Wise county hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise county hunting

I just picked up a new lease in Wise county. I’m close to the Boy Scout ranch west of the lake.

Does anyone hunt close or has previously hunted that area to tell me what to expect?

With travel baseball, my weekends to set stuff up have been occupied.

They scout camp has a modest deer population. Plenty of oaks in the area so that will be a consideration as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good deer in the area. Last year the acorns really hurt us and didn’t see a ton of deer post bow season. Should be plenty of turkey there as well

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        They scout camp has a modest deer population. Plenty of oaks in the area so that will be a consideration as well.

Do they allow hunting on the boy Scout ranch?

Originally posted by St59 View Post
        Good deer in the area. Last year the acorns really hurt us and didn’t see a ton of deer post bow season. Should be plenty of turkey there as well

Do you hunt close to here? I have seen no turkey sign yet, but figured having a creek run through the middle of my place that I would have them.

Comment

Yes. It is a draw system and I'm pretty sure you have to be a registered scouting person.

Comment

We have a 600 acre farm just east of the lake and have seen the deer get better and better over the years. Daughter and I both shot good ones last year but that was not a normal years for sure.

Comment

There's no deer in Wise County, move along....

Comment

I used to help with the hunts on SRSR, this was early 2000's. I say helped, helped cook, clean, transport hunters, assist with dressing and getting the deer in the cooler, nighttime surveys, stand/blind work, etc. Every once in a while a client would want a doe, but didn't want to use his stand time on a doe, I was usually successful in scaring one up on Stripling island.

Back then they would hunt it 3 weekends, opening weekend Sat and Sunday, a weekend later in Nov, Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon, and then once in December. They would do doe day hunts during the week and we could never use all the doe tags. It was rifle only.

One year as my reward I was able to take a buck, 10 point that scored 135, and I've seen better deer taken. Another year I was able to take a couple of does.

There were a few of the hunters that had ties to the Scouts, but no all were. A weekend group was limited to around 10 hunter.

All in all it was a good time. What they do now- I have no idea. They have built it out into the areas that were huntable, and I heard they sold a piece of property across the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                  There's no deer in Wise County, move along....
                  Too bad the OP, did not know that, before he signed the lease. This has been common knowledge on the Green Screen, for at least a decade.

Comment

Working...
                  X