Kirt Darner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirt Darner

Anyone older than 45 will probably recognize the name. He was a mule deer hunting legend I read about in hunting magazines 30 years ago. Well I saw an article from 2006 last night that explained how he was a poacher, liar, and thief. Darner has all his B&C trophies withdrawn and became a convicted felon for his troubles.

I viewed him as somewhat of a superstar when I was kid. Guess he was just a chump.

I remember him well. I was envious of all those huge mule deer bucks he was killing. Now, he's just another criminal.

Comment

Yup turned out to be nothing more than a thief and scam artist.

Comment

Just read a few articles on him. All I can say is wow. Glad he got caught....

Comment

Wow, who knew. Article I read said the deer on the cover of his book with him holding it was not even his.

Comment

Ive seen alot of his mounts in person back before he was caught. He took lots of them from Unit 61 area in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
              Wow, who knew. Article I read said the deer on the cover of his book with him holding it was not even his.
              I believe thats what got some people suspicious of him and eventually led to all his secrets.

Comment

I went into his store in Montrose and met him when I was a kid years ago. There are a lot of impressive deer he "killed", a lot of them came from the oak brush country around Montrose.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                  I went into his store in Montrose and met him when I was a kid years ago. There are a lot of impressive deer he "killed", a lot of them came from the oak brush country around Montrose.
                  Same place I saw them. He killed some monsters.

Comment

I’m sure he killed some legitimate deer. Sad he went bad.

Comment

I’m sure he killed some legitimate deer. Sad he went bad.
                      No doubt, maybe the hype got him.

Comment

I remember him as a kid growing up here and distinctly remember the Remington ads in Outdoor Life magazine with all the monster mulies hanging on the side of an old barn. Thought he was the cats meow back then.
                        Definitely not a legend, rather, a huge fraud and criminal.

Comment

I met him in the mid 80’s he was a speaker at an outdoor show man I thought he hung the moon. I still have a picture (Kodak Instamatic) of us he signed.

Comment

Dang, I bought his book. Some spectacular mulies. Disappointing

Comment

Yea, he was in trouble in the 90's for stuff done illegally, always was a bit of a conman.

Comment

Working...
                              X