Welder advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder advice

I have a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone stick welder.
    I want to weld some pipe cattle pens just behind my shop.
    Furthest point would be approx 100’ away from my plug, so I would need to either make a suitable extension cord or make longer welding leads.
    I’m leaning toward the longer leads because they would allow me to leave my welder parked under a workbench and still be able to reach all across in the area where I normally weld.
    Currently I have to move the project close enough to reach with my current 12’ leads.

Would the longer leads be the better option?
    I’m not opposed to using an extension cord, but the leads would be more convenient for any future projects.
    I haven’t compared the cost of both options, but I’m not concerned with $ over safety/reliability. TIA

Gotta be longer leads,I think.Only reason I say that is because our leads at work are a 1/4 mile long[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know which would be better but leads will be much more expensive than an extension coed.

Comment

You’ll be way better off pushing out on 100’ leads rather than trying to get power to the welder on a 10 or 12ga extension cord.

Wrap that work lead around the pipe a few times , turn that cracker box up and let her rip.

Comment

I’ve got some new 80 foot leads I’d sell

Comment

Originally posted by Stick bow View Post
            I’ve got some new 80 foot leads I’d sell

I’ll need to measure exactly how long I would require, but I may take you up on that if 80’ is long enough for this project.

Comment

I’ll get them out the shed tomorrow and remeasure them just to make sure . I’ll pm when I get that done.

Comment

I made a 50 amp extension cord, but it wasn’t cheap. 50ft was well over $100 for the cable and plugs. Just buy some longer leads. Check Craigslist.

Comment

My opinion is do 2 50 footers instead of 1 100 foot lead. After this job you will probably only use one section most of the time.

Comment

Weld rebar together and weld to a starting point for the ground save you some money. Then only need to extend one lead

Comment

Over 100' on extension cord will start dropping amperage, extending leads is better.

Comment

Here is how I would set one up. Get 100’ of 1/0 welding cable. Cut into 2 50’ length. Put 1 male and 1 female connector on each 50’ section. Get a female lug to bolt onto the welder itself. Build a “whip” for your electrode holder. A whip is a 10’ piece of #1 cable with a male connector on one end and your electrode holder on the other. Now you can plug in one section of 50’ lead and plug your whip into that, or add your other 50’ lead then plug whip into your now 100’ lead, giving you 110’ of total lead. You can also plug your whip directly into your female lug on machine and have just a 10’ lead for close work.

As mentioned above, just join what ever steel you need to reach from ground clamp to your work. No need to buy a bunch of cable to ground the work.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                          Weld rebar together and weld to a starting point for the ground save you some money. Then only need to extend one lead
                          On same note..if your 12'ft ground clamp reaches your fst post now as you progress your ground will be your fence and like above Ya only one lead 100' long...

and if you gona go with 220 extension cord 6ga would be a good choice
                          Last edited by cva34; 10-25-2019, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Have a generator?

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
                              Have a generator?

I’ve thought about that option as well.
                              I do have a 4000watt generator, but that only comes out to 33amps.
                              I’d have to make a 30A to 50A plug adapter, but that’s absolutely possible if 30amps is enough to run welder.
                              The welder is 125amps max on DC.
                              I haven’t ever welded above 75amps.
                              75/125 is 60%.
                              30/50 is 60%.
                              If the math holds true electrically, I should be fine.
                              This would be the cheapest route if it would work.

Comment

Working...
                              X