No announcement yet.

Age only, 3 or 10+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks young in the face but his chest is filled out, I’m thinking 4yo at least.

Comment

back is still straight, belly not sagging, head small brisket not really filled out,,, young deer, maybe 4.5 but not 10 ,

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        If you can't see the difference between the old deer that won the fight and this 4 year old you are doomed to shooting immature deer. Why don't you go ahead and shoot him and I'll take your spot on the lease. 4 YEAR OLD MAX

Lol, not a chance man. There is something different with this deer. I had 18 bucks of different age groups in front of me at the same time last week. There is something up with this deer. Other than 150” of antler he doesn’t look like the other 3 or 4 year old deer out here.

May just be an odd ball deer but I’m not taking a chance on shooting him.

Comment

Not a Dam clue. Good luck on what ever you decide.

He looks funny. Check his feet and ears. Both will show old age when dealing with a post mature Deer.
          Last edited by Mex. Bowhunter; 11-09-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I’ll be honest I don’t think you will know until he is on the ground. Sometimes it’s ok to not know the answer. After all no one knows what that buck has been through this year and during previous years. On the lease you are on it doesn’t seem worth shooting this deer IMO.

Comment

Some people have never seen a 10+ year old deer before apparently. They start to waste away and look “young” again. Those front legs and walk tell the story. A lot of tarsal staining as well. If you’re fortunate enough to see him again, watch him closely as he attempts to eat corn and you’ll see a bunch falling from his mouth from the lack of functioning teeth remaining.
              Last edited by TwoHighways; 11-09-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

It's interesting reading all the replies...lots of guesses, I don't knows, and absolutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  All of you guys saying ancient have got to be kidding. An old deer has loose saggy skin in the brisket area, loose skin under their chin. And their ears get huge and saggy not perky. No one or no deer can hide from gravity.... just go ask your wife

This and if he was that old he would have calloused knees. No saggy skin no brisket wiggle. Looks 4 to me but I could be dead wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Age him on the grill

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                      Lol, not a chance man. There is something different with this deer. I had 18 bucks of different age groups in front of me at the same time last week. There is something up with this deer. Other than 150” of antler he doesn’t look like the other 3 or 4 year old deer out here.

May just be an odd ball deer but I’m not taking a chance on shooting him.
                      So all of your three and four-year-olds are this big?

Comment

I vote 4yo with an injury.

Comment

I think he is past his prime. Its like his hide doesn't fit his body. His neck at the brisket, blends in to the body, but yet his neck is drawn at the base, his pedicles are large. He looks like an old man would look. To me all those things are indicative of a past prime buck.

I will say this, I have seen bucks that were pen raised(Protein fed), then turned into the wild and that is what they look like. Basically starving, trying to adapt to natural browse or food. Since you made the comment about the Exotic place.
                          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 11-09-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Looks older than dirt to me

Comment

Looks old to me.

Comment

Old buck

Comment

Working...
                                X