Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Default New decking for utility trailer??

I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...

Anyone have any ideas/input?

Thx.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...

Thx.
I saw on Fbook marketplace someone sawing down utility poles to use for decking, those should last a long time.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:

Thx.
I would think that with all of the movement in the trailer it wouldn’t take long before the screw holes would wallow out!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Yea, years ago my brother and I built a trailer to haul his Jeep and we used creosote lumber to deck it... Far as I know that trailer is still "trailing"!! Full 2" timbers and that's when I learned the hard way not to let that creosote timber sawdust get inside your clothes!! OUCH, and OUCH again, for days!!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
100%TtId
Pope & Young

Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
Hmmm, hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense... Elasticity over time is probably pretty high with a "plastic" board. There is a big gazebo in my back yard that we inherited when we bought the farm... Its deck is made of one of the synthetics and it is tough as nails, but it is not really load-bearing... You make a very good point. May have to just go back in with wood planking...
Thanks,
Old 05-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Yea, years ago my brother and I built a trailer to haul his Jeep and we used creosote lumber to deck it... Far as I know that trailer is still "trailing"!! Full 2" timbers and that's when I learned the hard way not to let that creosote timber sawdust get inside your clothes!! OUCH, and OUCH again, for days!!
My trailer is ready to deck. I removed the old crap would , self tappers , cleaned, painted and have been waiting for a window when the prices would drop but I don’t think it’s going to get any better than what it is! I think I found some good telephone poles but I’m going to cut them down to 1.5” thick because I don’t want the added weight of going 2”.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #8
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
I’d think in this scenario (short runs with support below) you’d be fine. Framing a
house, maybe not.

Last edited by Fishndude; 05-23-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Rumber ?
https://www.rumber.com/industries-an...ooring-boards/
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
Txhunter3000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
That's interesting stuff. Never heard of it before.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm going to check into this!! That could be a game/changer! I'll report back!

Thanks for posting this. Want to try to find a local source for this in the Houston area!
Old 05-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
I'm going to check into this!! That could be a game/changer! I'll report back!

Thanks for posting this. Want to try to find a local source for this in the Houston area!
I looked into it, even at todays prices treated is cheaper.

Now I did use that plastic stuff on a kayak trailer but its only holding a plastic tool box with our crap in it. Its real easy to mess with and install. If by chance your trailer had braces say on 16" centers or something it would hold a UTV pretty easy
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #13
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I wouldn’t recommend the plastic deck boards . Either go treated or milled telephone poles. I just finished doing my 10 ft trailer a few days ago . I used treated lumber . 2x8’s . I Called around I found them a heck of a lot cheaper at true lumber years not an improvement store .
For milled telephone poles there is a place outside Wharton that will mill them to what ever size you want . I almost went this way .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #14
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good push Mr100.

Im in the same situation and was thinking along your lines MrSlick. On my trailer, BigTex welded angle iron at the front and rear of the trailer on top of the decking. I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #15
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Good push Mr100.

I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.
Cut the boards to length. Then bend in the middle to slip them in.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #16
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Good push Mr100.

Im in the same situation and was thinking along your lines MrSlick. On my trailer, BigTex welded angle iron at the front and rear of the trailer on top of the decking. I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.

If I could find the video it would trip you out. I saw where they stuck one end of the new wood in front of trailer then stuck a cut small block under center of board and had a second guy hold the end down then a third guy knocked the block out with hammer and the board fit perfect. Hard to explain but looked super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #17
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

If you use the composite, go no less than 12" centers for support. It does not carry weight very well and it will get hotter than Hades in direct sun!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #18
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Montague, Wise

I have milled telephone pole 2x6 on my 16’ and they will last forever. Been on there at least 10 years with zero issues or signs of deterioration.
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well guys, I sent an email through Rumber's web site asking how I can purchase it locally in Houston... They responded within an hour! Their corporate HQ is here in Houston. They have local stock. I gave the guy the size of my trailer, he sent me a quote back within 10 minutes... I am going to measure my trailer specifically tonight and go pick up the materials tomorrow!! Hard to beat that! Kind'a pricey, but it has a 20 year warranty... (about $1200) 72" by 12 foot trailer.
I'll do a thread on it after I'm done. Not sure how my cross members are structured on my trailer. I may have to add some. If so, that'll add a bit of cost, but probably have the materials to do that in my barn...

Stand by for more...
Old 05-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #20
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Cut the boards to length. Then bend in the middle to slip them in.
Got it. Thanks.
My trailer is a 5x8. I better get wet wood.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #21
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

If you weld use 1.5 x 4in or 6in purlin.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #22
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

Quote:
Got it. Thanks.
that's going to make it tough. Fid the wettest boards from the middle of the stack and do it immediately before they dry down.

When we last did our 18' trailer, we just angled them in until the last few boards. Then we just slung a flat strap (used a 1" ratchet strap) under the middle, stabbed it under the front and my BIL stood on the back while I lifted up to bend the middle. Went pretty easy.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #23
RWB
Ten Point

Quote:
Got it. Thanks.

Save your self some grief and just cut off the stap holding down the deck board. You can bolt it back on if you don't weld.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #24
Twist
Ten Point

Quote:
Well guys, I sent an email through Rumber's web site asking how I can purchase it locally in Houston... They responded within an hour! Their corporate HQ is here in Houston. They have local stock. I gave the guy the size of my trailer, he sent me a quote back within 10 minutes... I am going to measure my trailer specifically tonight and go pick up the materials tomorrow!! Hard to beat that! Kind'a pricey, but it has a 20 year warranty... (about $1200) 72" by 12 foot trailer.
I'll do a thread on it after I'm done. Not sure how my cross members are structured on my trailer. I may have to add some. If so, that'll add a bit of cost, but probably have the materials to do that in my barn...

Stand by for more...
In, I want to see how this works out.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 04:42 PM   #25
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
In, I want to see how this works out.
Agreed. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy and that stuff sure looks like a pretty good choice.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #26
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Quote:

Stand by for more...
I believe they started in Muenster, at least they had a manufact. facility there at one time. I always heard good things but that it was not cheap. They have been around for years.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
I believe they started in Muenster, at least they had a manufact. facility there at one time. I always heard good things but that it was not cheap. They have been around for years.
Yep, still manufacture there. They just have inventory in Houston... that and their "corporate" HQ...
Old 05-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #28
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default New decking for utility trailer??

I replaced the deck on my trailer with aluminum bleacher planks. I should never have to replace that deck ever again. They are hard to find used. I found them at a junk yard in Sinton on Craigslist. It has worked out awesomely!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Bisch; 05-23-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 07:09 PM   #29
Txhunter3000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I replaced the deck on my trailer with aluminum bleacher planks. I should never have to replace that deck ever again. They are hard to find used. I found them at a junk yard in Sinton on Craigslist. It has
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh heck yea, that would be perfect.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #30
J-Carp
Ten Point

Many livestock trailers come with this “Rumber” or similar type material already installed now a days. I don’t personally have one but I do have a 16’ trailer I am needing to re do and will be in for the follow on how it works.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top