Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default New decking for utility trailer??

I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...


Anyone have any ideas/input?


Thx.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
AgHntr10
Pope & Young
 
AgHntr10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...


Anyone have any ideas/input?


Thx.
I saw on Fbook marketplace someone sawing down utility poles to use for decking, those should last a long time.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Bucknaked
Ten Point
 
Bucknaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Hallettsville
Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I am going to have to put a new deck in my 12 foot utility trailer that I haul my Honda Pioneer on pretty soon. I've been thinking about using that "plastic" wood for the decking... Anyone ever done that and how did it work? It's expensive stuff, but so is real treated wood right now, and if the synthetic planks don't rot, it might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to rework it every few years...


Anyone have any ideas/input?


Thx.
I would think that with all of the movement in the trailer it wouldn’t take long before the screw holes would wallow out!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Yea, years ago my brother and I built a trailer to haul his Jeep and we used creosote lumber to deck it... Far as I know that trailer is still "trailing"!! Full 2" timbers and that's when I learned the hard way not to let that creosote timber sawdust get inside your clothes!! OUCH, and OUCH again, for days!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
100%TtId
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
Hmmm, hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense... Elasticity over time is probably pretty high with a "plastic" board. There is a big gazebo in my back yard that we inherited when we bought the farm... Its deck is made of one of the synthetics and it is tough as nails, but it is not really load-bearing... You make a very good point. May have to just go back in with wood planking...
Thanks,
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Bucknaked
Ten Point
 
Bucknaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Hallettsville
Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Yea, years ago my brother and I built a trailer to haul his Jeep and we used creosote lumber to deck it... Far as I know that trailer is still "trailing"!! Full 2" timbers and that's when I learned the hard way not to let that creosote timber sawdust get inside your clothes!! OUCH, and OUCH again, for days!!
My trailer is ready to deck. I removed the old crap would , self tappers , cleaned, painted and have been waiting for a window when the prices would drop but I don’t think it’s going to get any better than what it is! I think I found some good telephone poles but I’m going to cut them down to 1.5” thick because I don’t want the added weight of going 2”.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #8
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
I’d think in this scenario (short runs with support below) you’d be fine. Framing a
house, maybe not.

Last edited by Fishndude; 05-23-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
wytex
Ten Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Rumber ?
https://www.rumber.com/industries-an...ooring-boards/
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
Txhunter3000
Eight Point
 
Txhunter3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
That's interesting stuff. Never heard of it before.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post

I'm going to check into this!! That could be a game/changer! I'll report back!



Thanks for posting this. Want to try to find a local source for this in the Houston area!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I'm going to check into this!! That could be a game/changer! I'll report back!



Thanks for posting this. Want to try to find a local source for this in the Houston area!
I looked into it, even at todays prices treated is cheaper.

Now I did use that plastic stuff on a kayak trailer but its only holding a plastic tool box with our crap in it. Its real easy to mess with and install. If by chance your trailer had braces say on 16" centers or something it would hold a UTV pretty easy
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #13
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

I wouldn’t recommend the plastic deck boards . Either go treated or milled telephone poles. I just finished doing my 10 ft trailer a few days ago . I used treated lumber . 2x8’s . I Called around I found them a heck of a lot cheaper at true lumber years not an improvement store .
For milled telephone poles there is a place outside Wharton that will mill them to what ever size you want . I almost went this way .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #14
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Most of the plastic decking products are not rated for structural use. There may be some types that are but Trex, ChoiceDek, and others specifically warn against using it to support loads.
Good push Mr100.

Im in the same situation and was thinking along your lines MrSlick. On my trailer, BigTex welded angle iron at the front and rear of the trailer on top of the decking. I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #15
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Good push Mr100.

I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.
Cut the boards to length. Then bend in the middle to slip them in.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #16
manwitaplan
Pope & Young
 
manwitaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Good push Mr100.

Im in the same situation and was thinking along your lines MrSlick. On my trailer, BigTex welded angle iron at the front and rear of the trailer on top of the decking. I cant quite wrap my mind on how to work new wood in under the iron without cutting and welding.

If I could find the video it would trip you out. I saw where they stuck one end of the new wood in front of trailer then stuck a cut small block under center of board and had a second guy hold the end down then a third guy knocked the block out with hammer and the board fit perfect. Hard to explain but looked super easy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #17
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rogers TX
Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa
Default

If you use the composite, go no less than 12" centers for support. It does not carry weight very well and it will get hotter than Hades in direct sun!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #18
FireNguns
Ten Point
 
FireNguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lindsay
Hunt In: Grayson, Montague, Wise
Default

I have milled telephone pole 2x6 on my 16’ and they will last forever. Been on there at least 10 years with zero issues or signs of deterioration.
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Well guys, I sent an email through Rumber's web site asking how I can purchase it locally in Houston... They responded within an hour! Their corporate HQ is here in Houston. They have local stock. I gave the guy the size of my trailer, he sent me a quote back within 10 minutes... I am going to measure my trailer specifically tonight and go pick up the materials tomorrow!! Hard to beat that! Kind'a pricey, but it has a 20 year warranty... (about $1200) 72" by 12 foot trailer.
I'll do a thread on it after I'm done. Not sure how my cross members are structured on my trailer. I may have to add some. If so, that'll add a bit of cost, but probably have the materials to do that in my barn...


Stand by for more...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #20
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Cut the boards to length. Then bend in the middle to slip them in.
Got it. Thanks.
My trailer is a 5x8. I better get wet wood.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #21
RWB
Ten Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

If you weld use 1.5 x 4in or 6in purlin.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #22
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young
 
bowhntrmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: Comstock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Got it. Thanks.
My trailer is a 5x8. I better get wet wood.
that's going to make it tough. Fid the wettest boards from the middle of the stack and do it immediately before they dry down.

When we last did our 18' trailer, we just angled them in until the last few boards. Then we just slung a flat strap (used a 1" ratchet strap) under the middle, stabbed it under the front and my BIL stood on the back while I lifted up to bend the middle. Went pretty easy.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #23
RWB
Ten Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Got it. Thanks.

My trailer is a 5x8. I better get wet wood.
Save your self some grief and just cut off the stap holding down the deck board. You can bolt it back on if you don't weld.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #24
Twist
Ten Point
 
Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Brazoria County
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Well guys, I sent an email through Rumber's web site asking how I can purchase it locally in Houston... They responded within an hour! Their corporate HQ is here in Houston. They have local stock. I gave the guy the size of my trailer, he sent me a quote back within 10 minutes... I am going to measure my trailer specifically tonight and go pick up the materials tomorrow!! Hard to beat that! Kind'a pricey, but it has a 20 year warranty... (about $1200) 72" by 12 foot trailer.
I'll do a thread on it after I'm done. Not sure how my cross members are structured on my trailer. I may have to add some. If so, that'll add a bit of cost, but probably have the materials to do that in my barn...


Stand by for more...
In, I want to see how this works out.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 04:42 PM   #25
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young
 
bowhntrmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: Comstock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
In, I want to see how this works out.
Agreed. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy and that stuff sure looks like a pretty good choice.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #26
wytex
Ten Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Well guys, I sent an email through Rumber's web site asking how I can purchase it locally in Houston... They responded within an hour! Their corporate HQ is here in Houston. They have local stock. I gave the guy the size of my trailer, he sent me a quote back within 10 minutes... I am going to measure my trailer specifically tonight and go pick up the materials tomorrow!! Hard to beat that! Kind'a pricey, but it has a 20 year warranty... (about $1200) 72" by 12 foot trailer.
I'll do a thread on it after I'm done. Not sure how my cross members are structured on my trailer. I may have to add some. If so, that'll add a bit of cost, but probably have the materials to do that in my barn...


Stand by for more...
I believe they started in Muenster, at least they had a manufact. facility there at one time. I always heard good things but that it was not cheap. They have been around for years.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
I believe they started in Muenster, at least they had a manufact. facility there at one time. I always heard good things but that it was not cheap. They have been around for years.
Yep, still manufacture there. They just have inventory in Houston... that and their "corporate" HQ...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #28
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default New decking for utility trailer??

I replaced the deck on my trailer with aluminum bleacher planks. I should never have to replace that deck ever again. They are hard to find used. I found them at a junk yard in Sinton on Craigslist. It has worked out awesomely!!!!!!




Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Bisch; 05-23-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 07:09 PM   #29
Txhunter3000
Eight Point
 
Txhunter3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I replaced the deck on my trailer with aluminum bleacher planks. I should never have to replace that deck ever again. They are hard to find used. I found them at a junk yard in Sinton on Craigslist. It has
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh heck yea, that would be perfect.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #30
J-Carp
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Plantersville, TX
Default

Many livestock trailers come with this “Rumber” or similar type material already installed now a days. I don’t personally have one but I do have a 16’ trailer I am needing to re do and will be in for the follow on how it works.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com