Coating for Older Dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coating for Older Dock

Dad is wanting to sand down the deck boards and paint/stain/coat the dock on Lake Conroe. What’s the best coating for long lasting and low maintenance?

Thanks, GS!

Colored deck paint. I used Flood on our pool deck. So far has held up pretty good for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Colored deck paint. I used Flood on our pool deck. So far has held up pretty good for 3 years.

Awesome thanks! Did you paint new or weathered? My Dad’s dock is gonna need some TLC before coating.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        Awesome thanks! Did you paint new or weathered? My Dad’s dock is gonna need some TLC before coating.
        I power washed it. I was surprised at how good it cleaned it. There is some product for cleaning decks but I don't know what it is.

Comment

Waiting for a reply from my dad on what product he uses. Single deck so full sun in Livingston. They also get big wave action being on the south end. He uses my pressure washer every couple years and soaks the boards in some kind of weather proofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We restain docks on several lakes up here in the metroplex unless the wood is just horrific a power wash and any good solid stain will do the trick we use sherwin Williams super deck

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
              Waiting for a reply from my dad on what product he uses. Single deck so full sun in Livingston. They also get big wave action being on the south end. He uses my pressure washer every couple years and soaks the boards in some kind of weather proofing.

This product is one of the few oil-based products remaining on the market…. The big box stores handle competitive brands like Behr, Olympic, Thomson’s ( the worst), Cabot but my experience is they don’t hold-up. Most mfgs. are moving to water-based green friendly products (and it’s hidden in fine print) don’t waste your $$ & time as they simply don’t work, period.**If you can’t figure if it’s water based or oil based from their veiled product descriptions, then read the ‘cleanup instructions’ and it will say ‘cleans w/ soap & water’.**I’ve been using this product on my dock & the woodsland deck for over 20 yrs.**That said none of them work unless you pressure wash mold and dust off the surface before applying.**I use a 4” roller and brush.**Some solely w/ a sprayer but then some is wasted in the air and it’s bad to breathe.**Also there are many new hybrid deck materials called deck-over or dock-over. These are thick water-based fluids (essentially a latex or Lycra masking material like a thick paint made to lay down a coating that fills in old wood cracks that in reality should be replaced - made to extend the life of the wood a few more yrs.**Our neighbor tried it and it came off after a cpl yrs as it didn’t adhere well - blew off in big chunks/flakes when they pressure-washed it.**
              So, to recap you get what you pay for and I believe Sherwin Wms has the best, use oil-based, and as always you get what you pay for.**Also in spite of claims none of these products last 5 yrs - 2 yrs, maybe 3 max if it’s a shaded dock/deck.**In direct sun 2 yrs max.

Comment

Working...
              X