Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-09-2022, 11:17 PM   #1
100%TtId
Pope & Young

Default Stars vs Flames

Who's watching playoff hockey?

Otter has been a brick wall except for tonight's game.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Brick wall had no offensive help last night.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
drewwland
Eight Point

Hunt In: BRADY, NORMANGEE, FT.DAVIS, PILOT POINT

Otter ain't the problem
drewwland is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
recar
Ten Point

Season ticket holder... This series is a mirrior image of our season. Some days we look like a stanley cup team and some days we look like a steaming pile. Not enough focus on special teams. We are 1 for 20 on power plays in this series so far. That is not winning hockey. Otter has been a beast!!! Its time for new coaching staff. Bowness is a great guy but he is old scholl hockey and it does not translate to modern day hockey.
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

I really feel like if we win this series and make a run Bowness gets a new contract and NOBODY wants that. I'm torn between wanting my team to advance and make a run and wanting them to fail so HC gets canned. He should've been gone pre bubble but their run solidified his job for a couple more years. Beating Calgary will reset that clock I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #6
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSon1836 View Post
I really feel like if we win this series and make a run Bowness gets a new contract and NOBODY wants that. I'm torn between wanting my team to advance and make a run and wanting them to fail so HC gets canned. He should've been gone pre bubble but their run solidified his job for a couple more years. Beating Calgary will reset that clock I feel.
I don't think you're alone in that sentiment. The hockey they are playing is just not great, to me it feels like a bunch of skill without any good coaching to make them the powerhouse they could be with the skill they have. As of last night its a new series, I guess we'll see which Stars team shows up next game.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
quackerback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Honey Island

I think Bowness is gone regardless of what happens. He was almost fired early this year. I believe he retires at the end of this year.
quackerback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #8
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Bowness was never the guy, should never have outlasted the "interim" tag, and should be gone regardless of what happens in the next week.

The total and utter ineptitude on the power play for the last month and a half is one of the more dumbfounding things I've ever seen in any sport. How someone hasn't been fired already is mind boggling. They've managed to take the most obvious advantage in all of sports, and turn it into a complete detriment.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
100%TtId
Pope & Young

Can't give up a 5 on 3 PP going the other direction and expect to advance in the playoffs either. Next match on CGY's ice will be tough.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #10
Young gun 12
Eight Point

Hunt In: NTX

I went last night. When they called Bowness at the beginning when introducing the team half the stadium boo'd. They got out played last night, all there is to it.
Young gun 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 02:11 PM   #11
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I've been an admitted fair weather fan since moving from DFW 18 years ago. They get zero coverage outside of the metroplex. I'm on board for the playoffs. Worst power play I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #12
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Saturday night was my first ever Stars game and we had an absolute blast. On the second row.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 02:25 PM   #13
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Saturday night was my first ever Stars game and we had an absolute blast. On the second row.

I hate you.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #14
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I hate you.

Donít hate me too much. We didnít stay down there the entire game. We spent a good amount of time in our suite too.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #15
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I went to the Stars/Kracken game recently. It was a lot of fun. Although, it was probably the least physical hockey game I have ever attended.

But, those gals shoveling that ice sure know their business!
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #16
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
I went to the Stars/Kracken game recently. It was a lot of fun. Although, it was probably the least physical hockey game I have ever attended.

The game is changing that way, but the Stars and Kracken are 2 not so physical teams currently.

Them girls are a treat to watch work.

I think I was at that game.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #17
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

This series has been pretty physical.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 03:43 PM   #18
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post

The game has definitely gotten less physical over the last ten years. It fortunately does ramp up a lot in the playoffs.

TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 04:47 PM   #19
100%TtId
Pope & Young

Quote:
Donít hate me too much. We didnít stay down there the entire game. We spent a good amount of time in our suite too.

Now we all hate you.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #20
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
The game is changing that way, but the Stars and Kracken are 2 not so physical teams currently.

Them girls are a treat to watch work.

I think I was at that game.
We ate at the Rodeo Goat before we went. Great burgers.

Those arena seats are tight.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #21
SharpEnd
Eight Point

Quote:

Nice. Quite a way to go to your first game.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 08:07 PM   #22
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

If you had seats on the glass and went to a suite, I really hate you.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #23
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Physicality is still missing from the club. When other clubs run the little Stars, the Stars get rolled up and hit the ice. With a few exceptions, when the Stars try to line up an opponent and crush him, it’s usually the Dallas Star that winds up on the ice. (Jamie Benn being the exception).

Skill is there, somewhat. Grit - well…
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2022, 10:00 PM   #24
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Go Avs !
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 07:36 AM   #25
keep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
(Jamie Benn being the exception).
And John Kingberg 😂😂
keep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2022, 07:38 AM   #26
keep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackerback View Post
I think Bowness is gone regardless of what happens. He was almost fired early this year. I believe he retires at the end of this year.
My guess is Barry Trots will help your scenario play out.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:47 AM   #27
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep View Post
And John Kingberg

Jim, is there something Iím missing about John Klingberg? That dude drives me insaneÖ Every time I watch him it stands out to me how bad he sucks. The local hockey gurus still seem to think heís a well above average defensemanÖ I just donít see it.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #28
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Jim, is there something Iím missing about John Klingberg? That dude drives me insaneÖ Every time I watch him it stands out to me how bad he sucks. The local hockey gurus still seem to think heís a well above average defensemanÖ I just donít see it.

Heís willing to get beat up by M. Tkachuck (sp?)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #29
keep
Pope & Young

Quote:

I was joking about the fighting, while heís trying at that heís not doing well.

As for his defense, Iím with you. From a goalies point of view, Iíd trade him for a roll of tape. The turnovers are always at the worst time and at the worse place. They donít even seem to be because he lost a battle rather he just mishandles the puck while dangling or makes bad passes.
He has the worst +/- on the team. The people that like him like his offense and there is value in that but at what cost? Not at a -28 in my opinion.
Heís been with Ruff, Hitchcock and Bowness and none have gotten him to accept more defensive responsibility so Iím not sure anyone can.
I feel like we should have traded him at the deadline but understand how that would look to the rest of the team and why we couldnít.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #30
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Can you explain how ANY power play can be as bad as the Stars has been for 2 months?

I can't imagine how something hasn't been done about that. I mean if you took the 2nd PP line for the worst team in hockey, they would dominate what the Stars are running out there now...it's unfathomable.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #31
keep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
Heís willing to get beat up by M. Tkachuck (sp?)
Pretty sure he trying to get Tkachuck out of the series by injuring him. I think Klingberg is trying to injure Tkachuckís hand with his face.😂

All that said, I just wish heíd be more responsible defensively (a lot more) than I would say keep him but the turnovers and bad timing when he jump up on a rush need to get better. Seems like a great lockeroom guy.
Another answer may be a different D partner, but what do I know greater hockey minds seem to like him.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #32
keep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can you explain how ANY power play can be as bad as the Stars has been for 2 months?

I can't imagine how something hasn't been done about that. I mean if you took the 2nd PP line for the worst team in hockey, they would dominate what the Stars are running out there now...it's unfathomable.
Unless I’m misremembering, that has always seemed to be a Stars issue. It will remedy itself for a bit, maybe even a year, but then reverts back.
One of these O minded tbh’rs may be able to speak to that. I just wonder if the focus on D and D-type people doesn’t give them the talent for an explosive pp.
Look at the top pp units around the league, are those guys in the game when a shut down game is needed? (Asking seriously as I don’t know)
Kane, Crosby, McKinnon, mcdavid, Gaudreau, kaprizov, Matthew’s are those guys out there for the pk?
Just seems some are built for O and some for D and teams gravitate one way or the other. (Klingberg seems O minded) I think you see train wreck seasons when you have a team that is 50/50 the. They have no true identity.
O minded hockey doesnt historically do well in the playoffs so I tend to always lean towards wanting D minded people.
Just my take on it.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #33
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Unless Iím misremembering, that has always seemed to be a Stars issue. It will remedy itself for a bit, maybe even a year, but then reverts back.
One of these O minded tbhírs may be able to speak to that. I just wonder if the focus on D and D-type people doesnít give them the talent for an explosive pp.
Look at the top pp units around the league, are those guys in the game when a shut down game is needed? (Asking seriously as I donít know)
Kane, Crosby, McKinnon, mcdavid, Gaudreau, kaprizov, Matthewís are those guys out there for the pk?
Just seems some are built for O and some for D and teams gravitate one way or the other. (Klingberg seems O minded) I think you see train wreck seasons when you have a team that is 50/50 the. They have no true identity.
O minded hockey doesnt historically do well in the playoffs so I tend to always lean towards wanting D minded people.
Just my take on it.

Its not just lack of scoring, it's utter chaos. They can't enter the zone, they never seem to get set up in the zone, and they will give up more shots on the PP than they take some times. It's is the most infuriating thing I've ever seen....I dread them going on the PP because they are actually worse with a man advantage.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #34
SharpEnd
Eight Point

Quote:
I was joking about the fighting, while heís trying at that heís not doing well.

As for his defense, Iím with you. From a goalies point of view, Iíd trade him for a roll of tape. The turnovers are always at the worst time and at the worse place. They donít even seem to be because he lost a battle rather he just mishandles the puck while dangling or makes bad passes.
He has the worst +/- on the team. The people that like him like his offense and there is value in that but at what cost? Not at a -28 in my opinion.
Heís been with Ruff, Hitchcock and Bowness and none have gotten him to accept more defensive responsibility so Iím not sure anyone can.
I feel like we should have traded him at the deadline but understand how that would look to the rest of the team and why we couldnít.
Yep, I've been saying the same about trading him. He's a DINO - defenseman in name only. Should have been a winger. Gets caught up-ice way too often, really not much help on the defensive side, and ends up costing the Stars more than he produces.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #35
quackerback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Honey Island

I am torn on the Trotz potential hire. He is a really good coach. I don’t know if he will be the right coach though. The Stars are going to have to play some youth and most coaches won’t do that. The problem with the PP from my point of view is nobody wants to shoot or shoot for a pass instead of tryin to score. They all want to wait for the perfect shot. The leafs won last night on a shot for a pass. Marner made a perfect shot off the goalies pads right to Mathew’s. I don’t think the Stars have a lot of high IQ players other than Robertson and Pavelski.
quackerback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #36
100%TtId
Pope & Young

Pitter patter, let's get at 'er Stars!
Old 05-13-2022, 08:50 PM   #37
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Its not just lack of scoring, it's utter chaos. They can't enter the zone, they never seem to get set up in the zone, and they will give up more shots on the PP than they take some times. It's is the most infuriating thing I've ever seen....I dread them going on the PP because they are actually worse with a man advantage.

This is very true. Goaltender has to stand on his head every night to even have the slightest chance of winning.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2022, 08:50 PM   #38
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hope the boys are not ready to go home.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #39
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Klingberg just about messed up. Jeez.

So far, so good tonight.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:52 PM   #40
SharpEnd
Eight Point

So far so good. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:59 PM   #41
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

ugh.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:05 PM   #42
SharpEnd
Eight Point

ugh
Old 05-13-2022, 10:05 PM   #43
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

double ugh
Old 05-13-2022, 10:18 PM   #44
SharpEnd
Eight Point

Back in it.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:25 PM   #45
100%TtId
Pope & Young

On to game 7
Old 05-13-2022, 11:37 PM   #46
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

There is no room for Klingberg on my hockey team. Glad to get the W, but that guy is worthless.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #47
keep
Pope & Young

Quote:
There is no room for Klingberg on my hockey team. Glad to get the W, but that guy is worthless.

Canít believe how many turnovers he made from bad no-look passes. Not to mention jumping up at bad times. He was tied up in the corner at the flames goal line and Pavs had to cover for him.
Donít care if he thinks heís the f1 or f2 on the puck, a D should be neither on a forecheck.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 AM   #48
keep
Pope & Young

For the DFW folks that enjoy the JRs, the Lone Star Brahamas are playing game 5 of a 5 game series in North Richland Hills at 2pm on Sunday. The winner moves on to the final 4 of the Robertson Cup.
General Admin tickets are $5 on the glass is only $25. Not a bad seat in the place for some fun hockey.
All the boys are between 16-20 yrs old
Old 05-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #49
SharpEnd
Eight Point

Quote:
Canít believe how many turnovers he made from bad no-look passes. Not to mention jumping up at bad times. He was tied up in the corner at the flames goal line and Pavs had to cover for him.
Donít care if he thinks heís the f1 or f2 on the puck, a D should be neither on a forecheck.
As a former defenseman, this is what drives me crazy about his playing.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #50
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
For the DFW folks that enjoy the JRs, the Lone Star Brahamas are playing game 5 of a 5 game series in North Richland Hills at 2pm on Sunday. The winner moves on to the final 4 of the Robertson Cup.
General Admin tickets are $5 on the glass is only $25. Not a bad seat in the place for some fun hockey.
All the boys are between 16-20 yrs old
There’s a good chance I go to this. I didn’t know the Brahma’s had an NAHL club. This is great hockey. We used to go all the time when the Texas Tornado played at NyTex. Very skilled players trapped in the bodies of 16 - 20 year olds. Emotions are hard to contain at that age group. Leads to some very entertaining games. Saw young Ben Bishop there as a member of the Tornado. Good times.

Meanwhile, the Game 7 NHL Playoff Hockey ice cream headache begins to build in my head. Can’t wait for tomorrow night.

Last edited by mikemorvan; 05-14-2022 at 09:45 AM.