Judge, former deputy charged with cattle theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge, former deputy charged with cattle theft

In Loving County, the county judge and former deputy and 2 others were charged with cattle theft.

This article should hammer home why you don't gather stray cattle and sell them. There is a procedure in the Texas Agriculture Code for handling stray cattle. And these guys didn't follow it.

And the other point brought up - dad gum judge made $133,000 salary in a county with 57 people!

NBC News Top Elected Official Arrested in Cattle Theft

I suspect that after reading the article, there is a lot more to this than cattle theft, but the TSCRA rangers do not play around.

57 people in the whole county?

Comment

The tax base hovers around $7 billion to $9 billion. Jeez!

Comment

Who owned the cattle? Someone had to be pushing this. Out there no telling what's going on!

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
          The tax base hovers around $7 billion to $9 billion. Jeez!
          It has to be the richest county per capita in the country!

Comment

Lots of wild political history in that county. Something like 650 square miles and less than 60 people, several powerful families who run everything and wrestle for power from time to time. Texas Monthly did an article about how crazy it gets around election time, eg: - people "move" to the county the day before the elections then disappear. I read that close to half the population works for the county in one way or another.

Comment

Some of the best wells onshore are in Loving County I've heard of some corruption there, guess it is finally coming to light!

Comment

"Medlin previously worked as a detective for the San Antonio Police Department, where records show he was issued indefinite suspensions — the department’s equivalent of being fired — three times.

In 2015, he was placed on indefinite suspension for a 100-plus mph pursuit of a driver who had a toddler in the back seat, records show. Medlin was reinstated after an appeal.

Then in 2018, Medlin engaged in another high-speed pursuit after telling dispatchers the driver “almost ran me over,” records show. But body and dash camera footage contradicted Medlin’s account, according to internal affairs reports. He appealed again, telling supervisors he felt threatened, even if it wasn’t evident from the videos.

He was later issued another indefinite suspension after supervisors determined he issued tickets for violations he didn’t witness, records show. "

The deputy sounds like a real piece of work.

Comment

So Loving county has been put on the map for the 2nd time in my life..
                  Ole Charlie Robinson would be proud!!

Provided to YouTube by Lucky DogLoving County · Charlie RobisonLife Of The Party℗ 1998 SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENTReleased on: 1998-08-04Guitar, Steel Guit...

Comment

Good ol boy country out there.
                    Been like that since I was a kid out west.
                    When I was a kid we lived in Menard where the sheriff's momma was the local bootlegger. Same thing when we lived in Crane, Tx. the county sheriff's momma owned a beer joint between Crane and McCamey also the local bootlegger. Funny thing was the sheriffs would get tipped off on who was buying beer and then track the kids down and confiscate what was left and return it to their momma's joint so she could re sell it.
                    We found a place to hide and watch the sheriff driving up and down all the oil roads looking for us. I only got caught once

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      Lots of wild political history in that county. Something like 650 square miles and less than 60 people, several powerful families who run everything and wrestle for power from time to time. Texas Monthly did an article about how crazy it gets around election time, eg: - people "move" to the county the day before the elections then disappear. I read that close to half the population works for the county in one way or another.
                      After reading the article there is a sense that politics are at play in this prosecution.

It will be interesting to read the details of this alleged crime. Gut feeling is that a good defense attorney may have a defensible case.

We will see.

Comment

Sounds like a subplot for Yellowstone

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                          57 people in the whole county?
                          117 as of 2020 lol

Comment

Yes, I understand it jumps just before elections, too.

Comment

Originally posted by GroceryGetter View Post
                              "Medlin previously worked as a detective for the San Antonio Police Department, where records show he was issued indefinite suspensions — the department’s equivalent of being fired — three times.

In 2015, he was placed on indefinite suspension for a 100-plus mph pursuit of a driver who had a toddler in the back seat, records show. Medlin was reinstated after an appeal.

Then in 2018, Medlin engaged in another high-speed pursuit after telling dispatchers the driver “almost ran me over,” records show. But body and dash camera footage contradicted Medlin’s account, according to internal affairs reports. He appealed again, telling supervisors he felt threatened, even if it wasn’t evident from the videos.

He was later issued another indefinite suspension after supervisors determined he issued tickets for violations he didn’t witness, records show. "

The deputy sounds like a real piece of work.
                              Anybody see a pattern here
                              Geez LEO’s today deal with enough bad rap don’t need to add fuel to the fire with bad apples like this

Comment

Working...
                              X