Auto parts stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    I had fun with one parts counter expert one day, about five years ago. I needed some part for around a 2002 Mustang GT, probably spark plugs and some coils. So if you don't know, all of the 1996 through 2004 GTs, have 4.6 2 valve engines, then all of the Cobras from 1996 to 2004 have 4 valve engines. If you know engines, 100% of the time a engine with a 2 valve head, will be a single over head cam engine. Then a 4 valve engine will be double over head cam engines about 95% of the time. There have only been a few 4V engines over the years that were not DOHC engines. I can't think of any right now. There have been a few pushrod 4V engines over the years, I know Mercedes built one for Indy car or Formula 1 years ago, think they may have made a factory production 4V pushrod engine around the same time. Then you have diesels like Cummins that are 4V, pushrod engines. But the vast majority if not 100% of the time, if you have 2V heads, you have a SOHC engine and a 4V engine is a DOHC engine.

So I went into O'Reilly's for some plugs and coils for a 2V GT. The kid behind the counter, I knew was driving a brand new Mustang with a Coyote engine in it. He thought he was a car god. Coyote engine = 4V engine/DOHC engine. You would think a car god driving a Coyote Mustang would know a 2V engine from a 4V engine.

I really was not trying to start anything, when I walked in and told him I needed coils and plugs for a 2002 GT. Then he insisted on knowing what engine, I told him again, it's a GT, so it has a 2V engine. I left it at that. He said I need to know what engine it has in it. He started getting irritated with me. I again told him it's a 2002 GT, with a 4.6 2V engine. He got more irritated with me. Again told me, he needed to know what engine was in the car. I knew very well by this time what, info he wanted. But he should know being a car god and driving a Coyote Mustang. So I gave him the same info again.

He was to the point of boiling, and asked, does the car have a SOHC engine or a DOHC engine. I told him it has a 4.6 2V. Man, that set him off. I tried to give him a simple explanation of 2V and 4V, engines, but he knew to much to hear what I had to say. I pointed out how his Coyote engine is a 4V engine, by the way. That was the end of that conversation.

He did not work there much longer, after that. I don't know what happened.

As for the 2V or 4V, vs SOHC or DOHC. 2V and 4V is a lot simpler and faster to say, so those are the terms I use. Most of the time you hear guys using the terms SOHC and DOHC, they are FWD import guys, which I am not. But on the other hand 2V and 4V can confuse the older guys, older than myself, because they at least used to think of 2V as 2 venturi carb and a 4V as a 4 venturi carb. Most of them have long figured out that depending on when the car was made, whether it means 2 valve, 4 valve or 2 venturi, or 4 venturi.

Yes there are 3V heads and there were 3V carbs also. Ford made 3V 4.6s, 5.4s and 6.8 V10s. They were 3V engines, but only had one cam per head. So if you call them a SOHC engine, people could easily think you are talking about the earlier 2V 4.6, 5.4 or 6.8, engines.
    Then on the subject of 3V carbs, Holley used to make a 3 venturi 950 cfm carb, back in the late 60s and early 70s.

Then Yamaha, made 5V heads for many years. They used them on their R1s, then their four stroke dirt bikes and Raptor 4 wheelers. Those were DOHC engines, so if you use the term DOHC R1 engine, you could be talking about any variation of R1 engine, but if you say 5V, it narrows it down to a 98-06 engines. Again, using the number of valves is better and faster to identify the type of engine.
    So you busted his chops for not knowing as much as you while he was trying to do his job? Cool, boomer

Comment

I have used Rock Auto and 1A Auto online with no issues so far. Rock Auto has a larger selection I think but 1A Auto includes a YouTube video outlining how to replace the part you are receiving which is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
        I have used Rock Auto and 1A Auto online with no issues so far. Rock Auto has a larger selection I think but 1A Auto includes a YouTube video outlining how to replace the part you are receiving which is pretty cool.
        I have found there videos pretty good and have ordered things from them due to the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
          So you busted his chops for not knowing as much as you while he was trying to do his job? Cool, boomer
          LOL

Comment

Sums it up
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              Sums it up
              I have actually had to dang near do that exact thing.

Comment

Auto parts stores don't pay much. Therefore you wind up with young people probably working their first job. They don't have any work experience and they **** sure don't have any mechanic experience. They don't have any mechanic experience because their parents didn't teach them. They just don't know what you are looking for without the computer giving them a part number. The store isn't going to teach them because as soon as they find a better job they are gone. Circle back to the first sentence.

The percentage of Americans that work on their own cars is minimal. Aside from some of my family that are career mechanics I don't know a single person who works on their own vehicle. Everybody just pays someone else to do it. Its the American way. My family is no different, I learned because I like doing things myself. My dad has still never turned a wrench on anything he owns.

I said all that to end with, just order your parts online. They are cheaper and you usually get what you need. If I don't know the part number I need I can usually find it on a forum somewhere because someone else has probably already fixed it on their own vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  Close to home! That monterrey house got a lot of our money growing up. Candy in the chip basket!

I got a job right out of the Marine Corps and Hi-Lo was one of our contracts (delivering uniforms and floor mats). Hated to see them get bought out.
                  They had the best mexican candy. Used to be a Friday night go to for us

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    🤬
                    Was this your breaking point Fly?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Was this your breaking point Fly?

Pretty much, I can barely hold it together talking to a parts guy

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                        Auto parts stores don't pay much. Therefore you wind up with young people probably working their first job. They don't have any work experience and they **** sure don't have any mechanic experience. They don't have any mechanic experience because their parents didn't teach them. They just don't know what you are looking for without the computer giving them a part number. The store isn't going to teach them because as soon as they find a better job they are gone. Circle back to the first sentence.

The percentage of Americans that work on their own cars is minimal. Aside from some of my family that are career mechanics I don't know a single person who works on their own vehicle. Everybody just pays someone else to do it. Its the American way. My family is no different, I learned because I like doing things myself. My dad has still never turned a wrench on anything he owns.

I said all that to end with, just order your parts online. They are cheaper and you usually get what you need. If I don't know the part number I need I can usually find it on a forum somewhere because someone else has probably already fixed it on their own vehicle.
                        Agreed. The week before most were delivering pizza. You come to a parts store to get a part. You want the part, just answer the **** questions to help the kid find the part that YOU want. It just ain’t that **** hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          rock auto
                          X2

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            Agreed. The week before most were delivering pizza. You come to a parts store to get a part. You want the part, just answer the **** questions to help the kid find the part that YOU want. It just ain’t that **** hard.
                            It is that hard because you answer the $&?!@ questions and they still have no idea what the +#^% your looking for.

Comment

This whole mess is why I try to own reliable vehicles these days. I worked at a local auto parts store in Clute in '79 and '80, then the Hi-Lo stores in College Station and Huntsville after that while in college. The College Station location stocked every part number in every line they carried, and had a bunch of gear heads working the counter. The manager was even a car nut. Those jobs helped fund my hot rod habit. By the late 80's, the Autozones and Pep Boys of the world were taking over. They stocked more "out front" stuff (care care/beauty products) than hard parts, but cars were changing then as well. Now, the whole culture has changed and fewer people work on, or even have any mechanical knowledge of cars. About all I do on my Tacoma and Camry is change oil and air filters. I do change the driveline gear oil, coolant, and PS fluid on the Taco, but that's as far as it goes with me now. Anything else I have someone else do.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                                Exactly what does it matter when you are just wanting spark plugs

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Go back and read post 25..... Pay REAL close attention to the last word... Airboat.

Then skip to post 28...

Maybe you can see the humor.

Comment

Working...
                                X