Windmill power generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windmill power generator

Any of y’all have a windmill for power generation? Was looking at doing a solar windmill combo out at the ranch to keep the well running and maybe some accessories going if the power was not on or whatever. Don’t know what I don’t know so gimme some insights.

Following

Comment

I have two neighbors that have them and both had the brakes fail during a storm and now useless that was about 10 years ago when they first started selling the home units. I guessing the warranty didn't covered it they haven't turned in a long time.

Comment

Following also.

Comment

My brother checked on doing this several years ago. At that time, the only company that made the generators was in Germany. The cost out weighed the benefits. Surely, things have changed in the past several years ?

Comment

The first step is to figure out how much power you are talking about having available/stored…. Batteries are high dollar, so you really need to figure out what you want/need to run in a grid down scenario…

Comment

OP, you will need batteries in order to keep electrical systems going. Electrical systems won't run with the variable power supplied by wind or the sun, they need a constant supply of very stable power.

Start with what Pedernal said. Once you get that figured out, size batteries. I'd bet they cost way more than anticipated.

Comment

Guys just an FYI I’m an EE. I know all about battery systems and power storage. Know about solar. Just curious about wind generators.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  OP, you will need batteries in order to keep electrical systems going. Electrical systems won't run with the variable power supplied by wind or the sun, they need a constant supply of very stable power.

Start with what Pedernal said. Once you get that figured out, size batteries. I'd bet they cost way more than anticipated.
                  It's probably similar to the batteries required if installing solar panels and I want to say they were 10 to 12k. Could be off, but the price was high enough to make me balk and cleanse my memory of ever having a conversation about solar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                    Guys just an FYI I’m an EE. I know all about battery systems and power storage. Know about solar. Just curious about wind generators.
                    Disregard my comment LOL, the only thing I know is no moving parts > moving parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                      Didn’t realize you are an EE… the projects (off grid comms/point to point network) I was working on prior to retirement were utilizing a wind generator as a supplement to solar…. Can’t speak to how much power they would generate as our sites were not set up to track the wind generated power but they did a decent job of keeping up the batteries over night…

I cant remember the brand/model right now but will get it for you at some point.

Comment

Ok here is the one we were using: Primus Air 30

There are 20ish deployed throughout Big Bend for 2-3 years… none have failed that I am aware of. There are some high wind spots out on the mountains and several have made it through multiple snow/ice storms. Again we never tracked what they produced.

I believe this is the same brand UPRR utilizes at their sites.

Wind Power Fact: Air 30 Turbine wind energy system provides optimum wind powered energy in high wind environments.

PM or ask if you have any questions… I personally would go with the Air 40 model at 48 VDC output…

Comment

we have/had a windmill running a aerator for the pond, it worked great till a tornado came close and ripped the whole top off and threw it about 40 yards away.. lol I need to get it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                          X